Thrive End Of Life

TimmyTwo2

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed recently that on Toshiba.com they no longer show the Thrive in the tablet section along with some of the older Excite models too? All that comes up now is the 16GB and 32GB Excite SE, even when you search in the search bar. I'm thinking Toshiba may no longer support the Thrive and we may not get Jelly Bean, I may be wrong.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed recently that on Toshiba.com they no longer show the Thrive in the tablet section along with some of the older Excite models too? All that comes up now is the 16GB and 32GB Excite SE, even when you search in the search bar. I'm thinking Toshiba may no longer support the Thrive and we may not get Jelly Bean, I may be wrong.

I Googled that for ya and there is a consensus that the Thrive will not get the JB update. Manufacturers usually give a device one OS update. The Nexus line of devices are the exception because they get the updates straight from Google.

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
Sadly, I think Toshiba has completely moved on and left the thrive and its owners to rot. It's too bad because the Thrive was some pretty nice hardware. The update to ICS was borked though and they shouldn't have left us there. I don't care how good the hardware is or how much I like the device itself...I will never buy another Toshiba tablet, and possibly nothing else from Toshiba either because of the way the Thrive has been handled. I have two of them and wondering if they would even sell if I were to decide to get rid of them to get something newer. Hard to imagine anyone would want them. :(

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
It's been unofficially EOL for a while. ICS OTA was a joke. Rooting it while still on Honeycomb was the easiest thing. If you have taken the OTA and upgraded to ICS, you can go to thriveforums.org and PM one of the devs dalepl and get it rolled back to HC to root it (he has a long waiting list but he's good). Then you can get JB on a custom ROM. There will be no official JB. I'm running 4.1.2 flawlessly and it can easily handle it.

kagra003

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I noticed the Thrive's absence awhile ago when I attempted to get support. My Thrive will not boot up. It starts and then lands on the screen with the burning, sparkling screen. That's it........the screen just churns away......and that's all. Toshiba is no help. HELP!!!
Oh, and the other day I noticed that Amazon is selling the Thrive..........buyer's beware...

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I noticed the Thrive's absence awhile ago when I attempted to get support. My Thrive will not boot up. It starts and then lands on the screen with the burning, sparkling screen. That's it........the screen just churns away......and that's all. Toshiba is no help. HELP!!!
Oh, and the other day I noticed that Amazon is selling the Thrive..........buyer's beware...

See my post above. Go to thriveforums.org and PM Dalepl. He can roll you back to HC and then you can root the Thrive and flash a custom ROM

slick_willis

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I would like to root and flash my thrive to KitKat (Android 4.4). Does anybody know if there is a 4.4 rom out there that I could get for the thrive? Along with directions on how to flash it?

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I would like to root and flash my thrive to KitKat (Android 4.4). Does anybody know if there is a 4.4 rom out there that I could get for the thrive? Along with directions on how to flash it?

For root, you can go to thriveforums.org and find the whole process there.

There is no Kitkat ROM for the Thrive. It is not compatible with Kitkat. The highest stable ROM is 4.1.2 Jellybean by Pio. Also, the rooted ICS ROM by dalepl is very stable.

max_stirling

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
The thrive is somewhat of a dinosaur. A large, heavy first gen tablet, but is solid as a tank. It has nice features that I wish is still available in other tablets (full size SD card, full size USB, removable battery) but that's not the case. I gave my Thrive to my son over a year ago and he's abused the crap out of it. Cracked screen in multiple locations, cracked trim, too many drops to keep track of and it's still working. It's runs a little slow with the most intensive games or not at all with some of the newest games, but it'll still run most games. It still does YouTube and other basic apps with no issues. Recently, my brother gave my son his old Thrive since he hasn't used it in over a year and my son still loves to use it. I have a ton of accessories for it and it's been difficult for me to retire it and get my son something new. Heck, it's been difficult for me to let go of the cracked but working old one. I know there will not be any more support for it from Toshiba, but I will continue to use it until it's completely dead. Cheers.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Root it and put jellybean. The Thrive is outdated but I got mine running fast and it handles games fine. My wife and son use it heavily

Sent from my SM-T210/SM-T210R using Tapatalk

William McCook

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Sadly, I think Toshiba has completely moved on and left the thrive and its owners to rot. It's too bad because the Thrive was some pretty nice hardware. The update to ICS was borked though and they shouldn't have left us there. I don't care how good the hardware is or how much I like the device itself...I will never buy another Toshiba tablet, and possibly nothing else from Toshiba either because of the way the Thrive has been handled. I have two of them and wondering if they would even sell if I were to decide to get rid of them to get something newer. Hard to imagine anyone would want them. :(
I totally agree Toshiba are appalling in their product back up so unlike the Japanese here in Thailand there was supposed to be a Android update on the Thrive/Regza it happened in the USA but not here in Thailand! Why no update no explanation just mate you bought a cheap 32 Gig Tablet what do you expect just buy a newer model & then you will get a updated Android! That's why the Koreans are running rings around these Japanese computer companies! They offer brilliant product back up & the latest apps!

Regina Harris12

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
There is a petition on the ipetition website to get Toshiba to supply updates to the Thrive Tablet. If you google "petition updates for toshiba thrive tablet" you will see it. Since I am new here, I am unable to post a direct link. Please visit my petition and sign it. Let your voices be heard!

Regina Harris12

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
If you visit ipetitions, you will find a petition to Toshiba, asking them to supply updates for the Thrive Tablet. I am unable to post any links since I am new to the forum, but if you google "petition updates for toshiba thrive tablet" you will find it. Let your voices be heard.

Regina Harris12

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Okay. Can someone point me to a clearly written step-by-step on how to root my Toshiba Thrive 10.1 inch tablet and get it up to at least Jelly Bean? Although I programmed PCs for a good part of my work history, tablets are another thing (in otherwords, I am a newbie). I have a Thrive AT100, it is at Android Version 4.0.4; kernel version is 2.6.39.4-g2388484. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TechBro