Tips for preparing and setting up a new Note 9

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
What are some tips you'd give for preparing and setting up a new Note 9 phone?

I'm a former Note 7 user (really loved using the Note 7 - both versions - before being forced to return both due to the forced recall). After the forced recall of the Note 7 I switched to an S7 edge. I haven't enjoyed the S7 edge nearly as much as I did the Note 7. Monday I noticed the dreaded pink line going down the right side of the S7 edge screen. After reading online that it is a sign of the display failing (further research suggests that might not be true), and the $400 off Note 9 promotion that was going on Thanksgiving/Black Friday I decided to order myself a Note 9.

I've ordered a Zizo Bolt Series Galaxy Note 9 Case with Holster, Lanyard, Military Grade Drop Tested and Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Samsung Galaxy Note 9 Cover from Amazon which should be delivered today, and my Note 9 should be delivered Monday.

Is Samsung Smart Switch still the preferred method of backing up and copying data, or is there a better way (Google or Samsung cloud backup?)?
What is recommend to transfer over, and what is recommended to not transfer over from the old phone?

From past experience I'm guessing one of the best things to do early on is:

Disable apps such as : Briefing, Caller Name ID, Hangouts, NFL Mobile, Slacker Radio, and VZ Navigator. (Am I missing any others you recommend disabling?)

Set a background / wallpaper with some or all "pure" black in it to extend battery life.

Enable developer options and reduce the Window animation, Transition animation, and Animator duration scale settings.

Go into device maintenance then battery and set a number of apps there to stop them when not in use to save power.

Reading some of the other threads

Don't make a folder on the home screen in combination with the default Samsung launcher as it will lead to animation lag based on the Transition lag and stutter thread.

Try a floating navigation panel and/or switch the right/left layout as noted in:
Things you Discovered Thread

Turn on Dolby Atmos as noted in:
Stereo sound thread

I've found the followings apps useful:
Hiya (to block and identify spam and fraud callers)
SwiftKey Keyboard (for the up, down, left, and right arrows at the bottom of the keyboard)
Greenify (for the potential power saving)

Would you still recommend using those apps with the Note 9, are there Note 9 / Android features built in that make any of those apps obsolete, or is there better apps to use for those features?

I've probably missed a number of other useful tips and treads. What else is useful information for new Note 9 users?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Is Samsung Smart Switch still the preferred method of backing up and copying data, or is there a better way (Google or Samsung cloud backup?)?
Google backup is a kind of "no backup backup". If you have sync enabled, putting the Google account in the Note 9 will sync it. There are other things to do too - see Backing up an Android Device.

What is recommend to transfer over, and what is recommended to not transfer over from the old phone?
Transfer everything you need, back up everything you don't normally use to a PC or to Drive, but don't transfer it.

Disable apps such as : Briefing, Caller Name ID, Hangouts, NFL Mobile, Slacker Radio, and VZ Navigator. (Am I missing any others you recommend disabling?)
I use Hangouts Dialer (4 phone numbers in addition to the one on the cellphone, all connected to Google Voice) and (due to a different phone) a different radio app. It's really disable anything you don't use if the icons bother you - but disabling an app doesn't save storage or battery. Rooting and uninstalling a system app saves storage. If the app is just "there", though, it doesn't use battery.

Set a background / wallpaper with some or all "pure" black in it to extend battery life.
Pure black uses the least. And turn the brightness down as far as is comfortable.

Enable developer options and reduce the Window animation, Transition animation, and Animator duration scale settings.
"Reduce" to 0 to get it really snappy.

Go into device maintenance then battery and set a number of apps there to stop them when not in use to save power.
Most apps don't use power if they're not actually doing anything.

Don't make a folder on the home screen in combination with the default Samsung launcher as it will lead to animation lag based on the Transition lag and stutter thread.
1. On some Note 9s. 2. In the default launcher. Since I install Nova Launcher almost as part of the setup on any new phone, I don't worry about default launchers.

Try a floating navigation panel and/or switch the right/left layout as noted in:
Things you Discovered Thread
That's a personal taste.

Turn on Dolby Atmos as noted in:
Stereo sound thread
It should result in better sound.

SwiftKey Keyboard (for the up, down, left, and right arrows at the bottom of the keyboard)
My choice too - same reason (and larger keys)

Greenify (for the potential power saving)
Works even better if the phone is rooted.

Would you still recommend using those apps with the Note 9, are there Note 9 / Android features built in that make any of those apps obsolete, or is there better apps to use for those features?
The only problems with Hiya are: It sends blocked calls to VM and if you delete a call from the call history it stops blocking it.

OJsakila

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I also HIGHLY recommend GoodLock. It's built by (or at least supported by) Samsung and allows you high customization of the notification panel, which is unheard of... Please research that.
Also, I prefer TruCaller to any other dialer app. Once again, I can customize EVERYTHING. colors, dialer screen, on call caller screen... You name it.
And, O lord, don't forget about Zedge. Download straight to your phone custom sounds and icons and lots more. This particular app doesn't seem to draw unnecessary ower either, when I'm not using it...
Omgosh don't forget about BxActions!!! You can 100% remap your Bixby button to whatever you want. I use one push (screen locked) for Nothing! 2 pushes for flash light and a single push when the screen is on for Shazam! (another good app)

OJsakila

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Ugh. Sorry to post again... I've heard it's healthy to get all your updates downloaded and running AND THEN DO A FACTORY RESET. After that, you can set up your phone... This seems recommended online for ANY phone...

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Clearing the cache partition after a few days may do the trick. It did for me. May depend on how many updates had tobe applied. For me battery use quieted down and any indexing as done. Not sure why.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Only will chime in about the case you mentioned. I passed over that one for the FoGeek? or some off brand like that. The only reason is I thought the 3 lines on that back of the Zizo would bug me while holding the phone. Even though the Military grade drop test thing definitely grabs your attention! Also, while both the Fogeek or what ever it is & the Zizo are much cheaper upfront cost than an Otterbox. From the reviews, it seems both clips are weaker. I can tell a quality difference between my previous Otterbox for an S8+ vs this thing for the N9. Not that I am unhappy with it, but if I had to do it again, would spend the extra few dollars for the Otterbox. Particularly now as just found they have a Dark Lake color that I really like.

Good luck with the phone. Love mine!

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I have 5 or 6 folders on my home screen using default launcher and no issues with lag or anything else, I've always used the default launcher with all my Samsung devices with no problems.