Question Unlocked phone?

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
I can think of two ways.
  1. If it's not a new phone model (S9 isn't) and has eSIM capability, go to your carrier's IMEI lookup page. If it comes back "Compatible" it's unlocked.
  2. If you have a friend using a different carrier and their phone has a physical SIM, ask to borrow the SIM long enough to see if it will come up with service on your phone. If it does, your phone is unlocked.

Dec 27, 2019
Visit site
I can think of two ways.
  1. If it's not a new phone model (S9 isn't) and has eSIM capability, go to your carrier's IMEI lookup page. If it comes back "Compatible" it's unlocked.
  2. If you have a friend using a different carrier and their phone has a physical SIM, ask to borrow the SIM long enough to see if it will come up with service on your phone. If it does, your phone is unlocked.
Hi,

I have a physical sim card.

Where do I find the look up page?

Can I put my hubby's sim card in my phone? His is a Samsung Galaxy A20.

Thank you.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Not that this is a guarantee, but does your model number & firmware number have the 'U1' or just 'U'?
U1- Unlocked Firmware
U - Locked Firmware
(About Phone / Software Information)

The screenshot is just an example...
View attachment 355500
U = carrier version can be unlocked to work on other network but still get carrier bloat and start up screen

U1=unlock on any network and no carrier start up screen or bloat

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

What does carrier bloat and start up screen mean?

My model # ends in U. I don't see the other in my phone. Where do I find it?

Thank you.
Carrier bloat means a device such as yours ends with U model so those versions like say you have ATT it would load some Att apps (bloat) to it or TMO would add their apps to the device and start up screen meaning when you power off the device you would see your carrier logo .

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
I have a physical sim card.

Where do I find the look up page?

Can I put my hubby's sim card in my phone? His is a Samsung Galaxy A20.
It varies by carrier, and you didn't post who you're with. You can try this one for the Visible network.

And yes, you should be able to use hubby's SIM card. But aren't you both on the same carrier network? I would think so, to get family-plan pricing. If so, it won't prove anything by trying his SIM.