Update w/Photon Torpedo root - Lost root access

CMarkOne

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Should've seen it coming. Doing the 4.5.1A-1_SUN-154_5 update today, lost root access after it was installed. Originally rooted with Photon Torpedo. Tried to reapply Photon Torpedo after installing update and it didn't work. Just an FYI.

UPDATE: After pulling battery and restarting (thanks for tip wiredanim), ran the following in Terminal (since root files were already on phone from previous attempts)...

/data/tmp/photon-torpedo.sh
(with root@localhost:/# still on command line) /data/tmp/install-su.sh

Root install successful. Checked by running su once back to $ prompt and Superuser popup appeared. Thanks for the help everyone.

Last edited:

IIJBII

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
That's what happens when you apply updates to a rooted device. Typically when you root your device you need to wait to the ROM developers created a version of the update that doesn't unroot your device.

Terry K

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
You're doing something wrong when you tried to reapply. Nothing changed that affected root access, you just have to apply it again.

Oh yes, something DID change. The hack that used the dock does NOT work, period. The permissions were changed by the update and the files are inaccessible.

superbovine

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Oh yes, something DID change. The hack that used the dock does NOT work, period. The permissions were changed by the update and the files are inaccessible.

Read the OP. He is talking about photon-torpedo... not the HD dock hack.

The photon-torpedo root method did NOT change.

abrcrmdl23

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what you ate doing wrong but the ota didn't work so I had to manually do out with the Motorola update soft ware, lost riot after ward re ran the root again and worked just fine my buddy did his too no prob. So something must be wrong and your not doing it right would be my guess.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site

This is not true. I did the update- lost root (Root checker confirmed)- placed Photon in dock- ReRooted (Root checker confirmed).

CMarkOne

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
After the OTA update install, I checked Titanium Backup and says no root. Then I redid the process for root without dock...
cd C:/root
adb push photon-torpedo.tar /data/tmp
adb shell
cd /data/tmp
/bin/tar xf /data/tmp/photon-torpedo.tar
/data/tmp/install-su.sh

It didn't install photon-torpedo.sh the same way as previous to OTA, different errors appear. Subsequently could not install install-su.sh properly either. Don't have the script output as I'm not at same PC at the moment.

wiredanim

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I have the Photon and was rooted with the Photon-Torpedo method, when I installed the update I did loose root and when I tried to re-root it through up new errors. I did get worried but I just powered down my phone, pulled the battery (waited for a few seconds) Powered it back up and after that the Photon-Torpedo method worked like a charm. I verified that I had root with root checker and then tethered the phone to my computer to make sure that still worked and it did. So go ahead and apply the OTA but just power down and pull the battery and you'll be fine.

Hope this helps

(I used the dockless root method because I'm poor and it still works on the new version)

CMarkOne

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks wiredanim. I used your tip about pulling the battery (realized I've only done reboots since the OTA update). Ran the following in terminal on the phone (since the files were still there on the original roots and new attempts after OTA...

(with root@localhost:/# still on the command line) /data/tmp/install-su.sh

Root install worked. Checked with running su from $ prompt and Superuser popup appeared.

Thanks again.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
The photon-torpedo method isn't working any longer for me.

I tried pulling the battery, but still no go. One of the error messages that pops up when trying to apply install-su.sh are these two lines:

cp:/system/bin/su: Read-only file system
Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: Read-only file system

Also, as posted above, photon-torpedo.sh gives a completely different error message than the one that showed up during the original root before the update.

This was after the last update, so it seems like something's changed with that update.

Last edited:

wz2b

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, it happened again.

The update calls itself 46.3.6.MB855.Sprint.en.US and after the update, I can't use photon-torpedo. I get what looks like some kind of library incompatibility with libpcprofile.so. What it says is:

$ LD_AUDIT="libpcprofile.so" PCPROFILE_OUTPUT="/lib/libphoton-torpedo.so" /usr/bin/X
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libpcprofile.so' cannot be loaded as audit interface: undefined symbol: la_version; ignored.

Pulling the battery didn't help.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
If you're rooted, you really shouldn't do any updates until deb's find a way to root after it comes out. I keep getting a message asking me to update but I keep putting it off.

Sent from my MoPho

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enid