What are some alternatives to the following default apps?

Matt 5

Jan 15, 2022
Visit site
I. Samsung's Messenger

Problem:

Too clunky and unintuitive. Have to scroll down every time to view all messages due to enormous "Messages" title. Same with contacts. Annoying pop up balloon that reads "Converting to Multimedia Message" that overlays on screen preventing me from typing. I don't need to know how your app works in the background, stop impeding my ability to compose a message!

Ideal functionality:

Built in contacts and groups as I have a lot of clients that I sort by their organization and not just name which is the only problem with Textra.

II. Samsung Gallery

Problems:

1. No ability to lock touchscreen input using Spen! This is a serious oversight by samsung and is extremely annoying while trying to finger zoom or pan an image while editing with the s-pen!
2. Turning off screen rotation doesn't take effect until the app is restarted.
3. Built in annoying prompts asking to update to latest version! I have app updates DISABLED globally because this is the way I have always done things since Windows XP! And don't tell me that my device is less secure without the latest nagware updates because I have haven't had viruses in over 5 years!

Ideal functionality:
To not have the above mentioned issues like samsung's gallery and to have a separate app for camera just like the stock galley app.

Summary:

If anyone has two recommendations that fit these requirements you would be doing everyone that uses a Galaxy Note a big favor. Most of us only use this series because of the S-pen functionality which isn't even fully supported by Samsung! I use a Note for business use like many other professionals, and find it incredibly frustrating when in the field to deal with these problems.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Google. Google messages and Google photos. They're streamlined, they're optimized, and they get constant updates because they're not one-off creations.

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Google. Google messages and Google photos. They're streamlined, they're optimized, and they get constant updates because they're not one-off creations.
I Completely Agree with Everything you said!

Personally I have a Samsung S10+ and as soon I got it, three years ago, I immediately downloaded and installed both Google Messages and Google Photos.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I. Samsung's Messenger

Problem:

Too clunky and unintuitive. Have to scroll down every time to view all messages due to enormous "Messages" title. Same with contacts. Annoying pop up balloon that reads "Converting to Multimedia Message" that overlays on screen preventing me from typing. I don't need to know how your app works in the background, stop impeding my ability to compose a message!

Ideal functionality:

Built in contacts and groups as I have a lot of clients that I sort by their organization and not just name which is the only problem with Textra.

II. Samsung Gallery

Problems:

1. No ability to lock touchscreen input using Spen! This is a serious oversight by samsung and is extremely annoying while trying to finger zoom or pan an image while editing with the s-pen!
2. Turning off screen rotation doesn't take effect until the app is restarted.
3. Built in annoying prompts asking to update to latest version! I have app updates DISABLED globally because this is the way I have always done things since Windows XP! And don't tell me that my device is less secure without the latest nagware updates because I have haven't had viruses in over 5 years!

Ideal functionality:
To not have the above mentioned issues like samsung's gallery and to have a separate app for camera just like the stock galley app.

Summary:

If anyone has two recommendations that fit these requirements you would be doing everyone that uses a Galaxy Note a big favor. Most of us only use this series because of the S-pen functionality which isn't even fully supported by Samsung! I use a Note for business use like many other professionals, and find it incredibly frustrating when in the field to deal with these problems.
Which Note device you have?