Question What are the good/recommended benchmarks for testing both raw CPU and for gaming performance?

Cyber Akuma

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I know I can get dozens of results if I just search for "Benchmark" in the Google Play store, but which ones are the recommended/good ones for both testing the raw performance of the phone and for testing gaming performance?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't bother with those. There has been a history of manufacturers essentially tuning the phones to score better in the test than in actual gaming performance. Performance will also be influenced by whatever else you have running on your phone.

I personally think any flagship, and even upper mid-tier phone will perform well in gaming. Mobile games don't seem to take much to run these days. One thing that you may want to consider are some of the gaming focused phones from brands like Asus and Red Magic. They have features like high response rate displays and touch detection, extra game triggers (like shoulder buttons on a regular controller), and active cooling fans. For a gamer, those things that improve usability would be better than a standard phone that scores just a bit higher in a benchmark. Though, to remain price competitive, there will be tradeoffs, like lower water resistance and lackluster cameras.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it really makes any difference with mobile devices since you can't easily overclock mobile processors the way you do with desktop PC CPU and GPU.
Agreed, testing the stability of an overclock is the main thing I've used benchmarks for.

They do have a little value on custom builds just because there's basically an infinite number of PC hardware combinations, too But even then, it's not like even most really hardcore gamers are gonna sit there swapping out different RAM kits to find the one that gives them that marginal increase with their particular motherboard and CPU. .

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, testing the stability of an overclock is the main thing I've used benchmarks for.

They do have a little value on custom builds just because there's basically an infinite number of PC hardware combinations, too But even then, it's not like even most really hardcore gamers are gonna sit there swapping out different RAM kits to find the one that gives them that marginal increase with their particular motherboard and CPU. .
I agree.

Additionally there is nothing like Unigine Superposition or Cinebench for mobile devices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana