What to do if my phone is stuck on the setup process after factory reset?

fruitiehat

Nov 8, 2022
Visit site
My metropcs LG K7 phone's battery was draining really fast, so I decided to factory reset it to help this problem. Now I turned the phone back on and I notice it seems very glitchy and sluggish and am trying to set it back up. I set the time and my wifi connection, but after this step, it goes to black screen with only the home and back button, the battery icon, the wifi icon and the time.
Sometimes it freezes and sometimes there's a message that pops up and says 'Setup wizard is not responding' and I have the option to wait or to close setup wizard. 'Wait' usually makes the phone freeze and close just goes back to the wifi setup screen. How I can I complete the setup process if this keeps persisting? And what is causing this?

fruitiehat

Nov 8, 2022
Visit site

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
[I am the OP] Well, I tried this. The same thing still happens. Could the quality of the charger be affecting it?

Welcome.

If the battery takes a charge, and indicates a full or healthy level of charge, but you cannot complete the set-up, it could indicate a bad battery. If the same happens with the phone plugged in and keeping the battery charged, it’s more likely that the battery is bad than that the charger is bad.
Of course it may not be the battery at all, but the rapid discharging that you’ve already experienced suggests that it may be.
You could perhaps try flashing the stock firmware, which would cost nothing, but I’m not sure that it would be worth spending much money to fix it, given the age and specifications of the phone.

Last edited:

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_k7-7848.php
Your LG K7 is a six-year old phone so it's not surprising that some odd, random problems start occurring. Just off-hand it sounds like the installed Android operating system on your phone has been corrupted in some way so it just can't boot up and run normally now. This requires you do flash an appropriate, matching firmware -- flashing the ROM replaces the existing Android OS with a new, clean Android OS (Essentially similar to using a Restore disc/media to replace the installed OS with a clean one in a desktop computer). Note that your phone's internal storage media is divided up into several partitions, with most of them dedicated solely to the operating system, and one being set aside as the general user storage partition. A Factory Reset only wipes that user data partition clean (that's where all your personal data is stored), while flashing the ROM replaces the existing operating system. Two different tasks that do two different functions.

But getting back to your phone problem, you can continue trying to 'fix' your phone by trying to flash the ROM but don't forget this is a six year old phone so you should take into consideration how much time and effort you want to put into restoring this phone yourself or paying a local service shop to do the same, or instead just start looking into buying a new replacement phone.
Also, hopefully you backed up your data before your did that first Factory Reset, yes?

fruitiehat

Nov 8, 2022
Visit site
https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_k7-7848.php
Your LG K7 is a six-year old phone so it's not surprising that some odd, random problems start occurring. Just off-hand it sounds like the installed Android operating system on your phone has been corrupted in some way so it just can't boot up and run normally now. This requires you do flash an appropriate, matching firmware -- flashing the ROM replaces the existing Android OS with a new, clean Android OS (Essentially similar to using a Restore disc/media to replace the installed OS with a clean one in a desktop computer). Note that your phone's internal storage media is divided up into several partitions, with most of them dedicated solely to the operating system, and one being set aside as the general user storage partition. A Factory Reset only wipes that user data partition clean (that's where all your personal data is stored), while flashing the ROM replaces the existing operating system. Two different tasks that do two different functions.

But getting back to your phone problem, you can continue trying to 'fix' your phone by trying to flash the ROM but don't forget this is a six year old phone so you should take into consideration how much time and effort you want to put into restoring this phone yourself or paying a local service shop to do the same, or instead just start looking into buying a new replacement phone.
Also, hopefully you backed up your data before your did that first Factory Reset, yes?

Yes, I backed up my data. I'm not in any position to get a new phone or pay anyone to help me. I've never done anything like it before, but I really would like to try flashing it. Would you be able to walk me through the process so I do it right and don't destroy my K7?

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Don't forget that Metro PCS was its own MVNO carrier up until 2018 when T-Mobile bought it. It's really important you choose the appropriate ROM that matches your specific phone model. They're not interchangeable, ROMs are model specific. You might want to try using this XDA Developer's page, but also don't forget you have a dated phone so some of the links might not be working at this point:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ock-rom-metropcs-t-mobile-imgs-as330.3432878/
or this site instead:
https://lgstockrom.com/lg-k7-x210ds