Question white app, no name

ethmcg16

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
so on my Galaxy A7 Tab lite, I noticed this white app n I am concerned rn, also it won't let me delete it. pls helpIMG_20240415_075431191.jpg

oh n btw it's not sending me popup ads

also i disabled it

Last edited by a moderator:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
There is no name in the app list of your settings page for this app? It just appears as an icon?

Did you by chance try to open it before disabling it? What type of app is it? What happens when you try to open it?

I don't know how tablet OS's go but on more recent versions when you open the app page for this app, Settings>Applications>[your mystery app]>at the bottom of the page App Details in Store, touching this should take you to the apps page at the Play Store, which will likely have a name and description of the app.

The only apps I've ever really known not to display a name are hidden apps. Apps that hide photos/video or act as some other type of secure app/folder.

Let us know what you find and we'll offer more advice.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

ethmcg16

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
There is no name in the app list of your settings page for this app? It just appears as an icon?

Did you by chance try to open it before disabling it? What type of app is it? What happens when you try to open it?

I don't know how tablet OS's go but on more recent versions when you open the app page for this app, Settings>Applications>[your mystery app]>at the bottom of the page App Details in Store, touching this should take you to the apps page at the Play Store, which will likely have a name and description of the app.

The only apps I've ever really known not to display a name are hidden apps. Apps that hide photos/video or act as some other type of secure app/folder.

Let us know what you find and we'll offer more advice.
well it said it's been downloaded w/ Chrome

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
The link inside of the app list page says this?

If it was downloaded with Chrome, can you go to your security settings and see if you have, install from unknown sources, checked? It should still have required some input from you or a user of the tablet to complete the install.

It could be an unsupported/discontinued app. This does not explain why it says it's from Chrome but one reason it may not have a name anymore could be that the app was discontinued and partially removed from your device. Google has the ability to remove an app from your device forcefully without your input. I've had them do this for apps that were deemed dangerous and for apps they deem violates some TOS Google has with the developer. The ones that spring to mind are some of the "free" music apps I tried. Nothing is free. Could any of this be true of your app?

Reactions: Laura Knotek

ethmcg16

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
The link inside of the app list page says this?

If it was downloaded with Chrome, can you go to your security settings and see if you have, install from unknown sources, checked? It should still have required some input from you or a user of the tablet to complete the install.

It could be an unsupported/discontinued app. This does not explain why it says it's from Chrome but one reason it may not have a name anymore could be that the app was discontinued and partially removed from your device. Google has the ability to remove an app from your device forcefully without your input. I've had them do this for apps that were deemed dangerous and for apps they deem violates some TOS Google has with the developer. The ones that spring to mind are some of the "free" music apps I tried. Nothing is free. Could any of this be true of your app?
well it's gone now so idk

i was able 2 delete it w/ Malwarebytes

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It might also have been a Progressive Web App (which is essentially a webpage that is packaged to look like a standalone app) -- this kind of thing can be "installed" directly from a website, rather than from the Play Store.

It'll be hard for any of us to diagnose it any further since it's gone and you won't be able to share any more details about it. Let us know if it comes back!

ethmcg16

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
It might also have been a Progressive Web App (which is essentially a webpage that is packaged to look like a standalone app) -- this kind of thing can be "installed" directly from a website, rather than from the Play Store.

It'll be hard for any of us to diagnose it any further since it's gone and you won't be able to share any more details about it. Let us know if it comes back!
it gave itself those admin settings, like where u can't just delete it as normal (idk how Malwarebytes removed it) wsid if anything like that happens again?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omcars