Why can't I shut off system update alerts during certain hours on the Galaxy S6?

SilverladderAZ

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Every single member of our family was awakened at 2 am last night when their phones were beeping about a system update. ALL of our phones were in "Do Not Disturb" mode with the only exclusion list being a couple family members' phone numbers. There is no option to block system update alerts in the middle of the night. There is no slider to select/deselect that. It seems like this would be a pretty basic option.

Please advise. Thank you in advance for any help.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I think you are able to postpone them for a certain amount of time then they finally just happen if they haven't been installed. Usually in the middle of the night. Don't believe this can be stopped unless rooted. They never bother me because I'm kind of a phone geek, and always keep up with what's coming down the pike to my phone. I usually put it on within a day or less of the first notification. You should have gotten an earlier notification on the update at a more reasonable time. It's pretty obvious when they are available and hard to miss on the phone. If it had been done then it wouldn't have awakened your household. I know 99% of the folks with smart phones just use them normally. Next time if you miss the pop up for the notification or dismiss it will park itself on your notification bar. If you see that icon you know something is timing out waiting to wake you up at 2am. Might want to deal with it before bedtime then. Another less desirable option is to turn down the sound before bed.Not good for being available in an emergency. Best option: Deal with it before it deals with itself.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your help.

There were no previous notifications. We purchased the phones yesterday afternoon.

That explains it then. Was in need of the most recent update. you'll notice it next time, just update before bedtime in future. New phones have to play catch up when first turned on. Just unfortunately happened when it did.

Schro_cat

Mar 30, 2017
Visit site
This is inaccurate. I have had my phone (Galaxy S7) for 6 months. It has always been kept up to date. This morning at 5am, it generated an audible alert for the system update even though there had been no prior notification of any kind. The phone was on do not disturb.
I understand that updates are important, and that they may become available in the middle of the night, but the whole point of do not disturb is to let me sleep. There's no reason the update couldn't wait 3 hours.

" You should have gotten an earlier notification on the update at a more reasonable time. It's pretty obvious when they are available and hard to miss on the phone. If it had been done then it wouldn't have awakened your household. I know 99% of the folks with smart phones just use them normally. Next time if you miss the pop up for the notification or dismiss it will park itself on your notification bar. If you see that icon you know something is timing out waiting to wake you up at 2am. Might want to deal with it before bedtime then. Another less desirable option is to turn down the sound before bed.Not good for being available in an emergency. Best option: Deal with it before it deals with itself."

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brownsjames