Why is my data being used more when on wifi?

A

AC Question

Why is my data being used more when on wifi

This is the second time I've used WiFi which commonly not available for me and exceeded my data package. The first Verizon said it was auto backup, which seemed correct after a oem reboot (connected to wifi). This time just playing games which usually uses 100mb at most per day some how used up 2gb over the weekend. Difference noticeable through tracking app. There has been lots of threads that explain how to prevent and describe life changes to prevent from happening again. But, none tell me why when using wifi there is more data usage even yeah maybe I trolled fb or watched a 30 sec video waiting on Chinese but that still doesn't explain the difference, by my calculations. Maybe just emo rage but I'm not the first and I don't want to change my life to not go over my data package cause of wifi.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why is my data being used more when on wifi

Welcome to AC!
Do you mean that your mobile data increased? Or just your home internet data usage? If it's the latter, there are probably apps set to back up on WiFi that are done automatically. If it's your mobile data, that's definitely not normal. If you go to settings > networks > data usage, what shows up as the biggest drain?

For now, you can disable mobile data when on WiFi so it doesn't get used