Why is my Samsung Galaxy S6 GPS giving me the wrong location?

A

AC Question

Sumsung Galaxy S6 GPS giving me wrong location

I have searched for Galaxy S6 GPS problems in google, and I have noticed that some owners experience a lot of signal loss/searching in their phones. What I have found annoying in my case is that whenever the GPS signal is lost, Google Maps puts me in a wrong location that I have not been to for a while. I have lived in that location before, but I have since moved and no longer stay there. I have purchased the phone after moving. After a bit of experimenting I came to the conclusion that the building I currently live in blocks the GPS signal, since whenever I am in the balcony/near a window I get a signal and I'm put in the correct location in Google Maps. As soon as the signal is lost, Maps automatically puts me in that old location. This has also effected Google Now where I'm given incorrect travel times, but not my weather location (set on current).

I have set 'Home' to my new location, I have also tried deleting my location history from google, tried a few GPS fixing apps, reinstalling Maps, and also installing other map applications like Here and Waze, which behave the same way and give me the same old location as my current.

At first I thought it could be a GPS hardware defect in the galaxy, but I turned on my old HTC One (M8) and it acted and behaved in the same way putting me in my old location. So it seems to me there's something in the Android OS perhaps since Here and Waze act in the same way. I also tested with the Maps app on iPhone 6 and it gave the correct location although not 100% accurately. So is there anyway I can make Maps at least remember my last location before signal loss?

It is also absurd that my laptop can pinpoint my correct location while connected on Wifi while my phone with GPS, wifi and cell network cannot, which in conclusion seems like an android bug or something with location history in my google account which as I said already tried deleting the whole history.

Also note that the GPS and Maps work perfectly fine whenever I'm outside the building and I have location discovery on GPS, Wifi and cell network.

Damien_Starr

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Sumsung Galaxy S6 GPS giving me wrong location

I've noticed on my s6 gps location lost everytime I try to get directions somewhere it just loads and loads and then says GPS location lost

Posted via the Android Central App

JimChretz

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Do you use the same wifi router in your new home? I'm not an expert, but I think the location service uses surrounding wifi spots to determine the position, if your router ID still belongs to your previous location, it might explain your issue...?

vardaanchawla

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site

Did anybody get a solution for this? I'm still facing this issue.

Posted via the Android Central App

larlos

May 25, 2012
Visit site
After fussing over this for a while. I finally found a solution.

Download and install the 'GPS Test' app in the Google Play Store.

Open the app and click the menu button on the top right. Then select 'Clear AGPS'. After that, select 'Update AGPS'.

Once you have done that, make sure to close all running apps. Then go to your Google Maps and check your location. It should be fixed! :)

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

I have searched for Galaxy S6 GPS problems in google, and I have noticed that some owners experience a lot of signal loss/searching in their phones. What I have found annoying in my case is that whenever the GPS signal is lost, Google Maps puts me in a wrong location that I have not been to for a while. I have lived in that location before, but I have since moved and no longer stay there. I have purchased the phone after moving. After a bit of experimenting I came to the conclusion that the building I currently live in blocks the GPS signal, since whenever I am in the balcony/near a window I get a signal and I'm put in the correct location in Google Maps. As soon as the signal is lost, Maps automatically puts me in that old location. This has also effected Google Now where I'm given incorrect travel times, but not my weather location (set on current).

I have set 'Home' to my new location, I have also tried deleting my location history from google, tried a few GPS fixing apps, reinstalling Maps, and also installing other map applications like Here and Waze, which behave the same way and give me the same old location as my current.

At first I thought it could be a GPS hardware defect in the galaxy, but I turned on my old HTC One (M8) and it acted and behaved in the same way putting me in my old location. So it seems to me there's something in the Android OS perhaps since Here and Waze act in the same way. I also tested with the Maps app on iPhone 6 and it gave the correct location although not 100% accurately. So is there anyway I can make Maps at least remember my last location before signal loss?

It is also absurd that my laptop can pinpoint my correct location while connected on Wifi while my phone with GPS, wifi and cell network cannot, which in conclusion seems like an android bug or something with location history in my google account which as I said already tried deleting the whole history.

Also note that the GPS and Maps work perfectly fine whenever I'm outside the building and I have location discovery on GPS, Wifi and cell network.

Your solution is simple. I am betting you have Google Chrome on your main computer. Which you have signed in with your gmail address, the same one you used on your phone.
When you DID live at your previous location, you would have allowed google to know your location, Hence, the computer and phone are linked and your GMAIL address still thinks your home is your old place.
Simply Clear your caches and website data in chrome and you won't have the issue of your old home showing up.
This has NOTHING to do with your router, Your router doesn't keep your location.
Let me know if the above is plausible

Also if this is the case you will notice if you goto maps.google.com on your computer. And search a location, you will then see that location in maps on your phone in the history.

On your Computer if you would like to set your home location do the following

Open the Google
Touch the menu with the 3 lines, goto > Your places > then Enter home or work address.

Last edited:

vinny sanchez

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
I had my router replaced twice in 1 week. My lovation says Jasper Tenn or Kentucky idk? But i cannot correct this issue for nothing. I live in Ms. My Geolock on my G6 always stays locked. Supposed to unlock when I hit my house location. My weather give me doing either warnings for a Jasper.
Any solutions?? Please. This is so aggravating
Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards