Won't boot past pulsing android screen

ObiWanYJ

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Sprint Galaxy Note 2 for several years. For the last two years or so, I've been running a "custom" ROM (I forget the name) that's actually the stock Samsung 4.4.2 ROM, which I had to install to revert from a different custom ROM that I hated. It's been running well enough, although it's been getting slower as time passed, and I have to reboot it every few days to improve performance.

This evening, when I manually rebooted it, it came back to the throbbing/pulsing "android" logo, and will go no further. It just sits at that screen forever. I tried pulling the battery, but as soon as the battery's reinserted, it automatically powers on & boots to that state. Same whether or not plugged into the wall. Same with & without the microSD card. I can boot into recovery just fine, but when I then tell it to reboot normally, it hangs at the pulsing android screen again. The battery was probably well over 50% full when this started, and it's now been plugged in for over an hour as I write this, so low charge isn't an issue.

What's going on? How can I fix this? I've done a lot of customization, and I'd really rather not reset the device without some assurance that this really will solve the problem. That reset would have to happen from the recovery menu, though, since I can't get to the OS. I'm not even convinced that a reset is possible with this custom ROM. If I do have to reset it anyway, can anybody recommend a really stable ROM that's 5.0 or newer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellofello