Zenfone 4 Max ZC554KL 5000mah battery

anon(141613)

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I picked up a Zenfone 4 Max ZC554KL at Best Buy for $199, and they threw in a $1 Simple Mobile BYOD Sim Card and a $40 Mobile Plan card and knocked $50 off.

So far so good, but I'm just putting it into full service. Battery life is really, really good so far - I've had a Blu R1 Plus and a Huawei Mate 8 recently, both with 4000mah batteries, and this is much better in the real world. I use hundreds of apps and Google navigation and am hoping this may finally be a phone that can handle a full day without a charge.

The phone has the rare LTE Band 12 (and all the other US GSM bands) which I need for service with MetroPCS. Cases and screen protectors are available on Amazon and AliExpress with a decent variety for a newer phone. So far I haven't noticed any lag to speak of with the octa-core Snapdragon 430 and the 3GB of RAM. I don't game so that doesn't matter.

The only things I find missing or annoying are the reversed Micro USB port (larger side to the front/screen) and the lack of 5Ghz Wi-Fi. Beyond that, I might actually keep this phone in service for awhile - the battery life is the key for me, and it will charge okay even without using the 2A factory charger - another plus for my usage. The phone has fast charging and it shows.

The Moto E4 Plus is the other phone now available with a 5000mah battery and LTE Band 12, but it's got 2GB of RAM and a Snapdragon 427 Quad-Core, and for the same money the Asus is a better bet for me.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info! I think ASUS makes good phones -- I enjoyed my ZenFone 2. How's the camera?

anon(141613)

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used it yet... The rear camera is a dual setup with a separate wide angle lens. Reports online are that the cameras are good, not great, which I'd expect at this price point. Will post back after I actually shoot some with it.

Last edited:

anon(141613)

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
And as expected...good if not great on the camera. The wide angle lens option is nice, but it's only 2MP, so just when really needed.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The ZenFone 2 was really good for macro photography, since it had a pretty short minimum focus distance (significantly better than the Nexus 6P). How is it with yours?

Off topic, I wonder what ASUS is going to do for the next generation of ZenFones. The ZenFone 5 was released in 2014, so they can't use that name (unless they call it something really stupid like the ZenFone 5 II -- bad flashbacks of the HTC One Mini 2!:-\).

SharkyNY

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Question. Do you get VoLTE? I got one to mess around with as a secondary phone and I was hoping that it'd be able to get VoLTE since it has band 12.

anon(141613)

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I have not gotten Wi-Fi Calling to work, and I have switched it on. I have yet to see a report that anyone has it working... A couple of other people have said the same thing.

Last edited:

SharkyNY

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, no luck on my side so far. If the ZenFone 3 Deluxe is anything to go by chances are that the ZF4M probably doesn't support it for T-Mobile or At&t.

anon(141613)

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
ASUS Taiwan tells me they consider Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE as seperate, which I never have prior, at least in practice. They have also suggested I check with MetroPCS to see if it's enabled for this phone, which I have no reason to believe it would be through them as it's not a phone sold by MetroPCS or T-Mobile directly. I was of the belief if a phone had wi-fi calling built-in, especially if it was being used with an ASUS router optimized for same, that it would work. I've had unlocked Nexus phones with wi-fi calling enabled that worked without issue.

SharkyNY

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, manufacturers usually have to get some sort of approval/certification to be able to do WiFi Calling and VoLTE on T-Mobile. That's what's come up in the past when certain manufacturers list Band 12 on their phones, but no VoLTE on the phone. As a matter of fact:

"We are all about giving customers the best wireless experience possible. That includes the latest and greatest devices, with the latest technology," T-Mobile said in a statement to FierceWireless. "To ensure a high level of quality in all of our devices, we require every device go through a rigorous certification process.

"Specifically, we require phones using Band 12 on T-Mobile to support E911 and VoLTE in order to be certified on our network," T-Mobile added. "We do this in the interest of our customers' overall experience and safety."
T-Mobile: All Band 12 LTE devices on our network must support VoLTE, E911 | FierceWireless

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana