Extended battery: so far, I like !

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I went to a Verizon store and bought the extended battery for my Thunderbolt. I believe it's the 2750 milliamp voltage model. Also got the semi hard/soft silicon case to go with it. Yes, the combination of the extended battery and case does add more weight and thickness, but surprisingly, it still fits in my front right trouser pocket pretty well. My front left trouser pocket is reserved for my wallet, which is noticeably thicker than my Thunderbolt with the extended battery.

My initial impressions are that my battery life is certainly longer! I may be imagining this, but the extended battery seems to take longer to get up to 100% full charge. But conversely, the battery also drains noticeably slower throughout the day. I also tried buying the wireless charging base, but unfortunately found out that the special charging back is only for the stock size battery, not for the extended battery. Too bad, I'm hoping someone will make the special back for the extended battery soon.

I've had this extended battery now for the past few days, and I'm satisfied with it.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I love my extended battery. Yes, it does take longer to charge because it is twice as big as the stock battery which means it needs longer to get to 100% charge. Definitely worth the money!

jhimebau

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I really like my extended battery (2750 mah from VZW). Most times my battery is not even down to 50% when going from 4:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M. but every one in while (once every month or two) the phone decides to drain the battery for no good reason. Yesterday when I caught it doing this I still had 38% of the battery left and this was more than enough to get through the day. I find I have to reboot to stop the drain. I don't really know what causes it and the next day I will do all of the things I did the day of the drain and it will not use even half of the battery. Mostly I detect the drain by the elevated temperature of the battery. It felt hot and the temp was up to 107 degrees.

MegaSoundwave76

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I love the extended battery (official HTC 2750mah type with stock extended cover) too!! It kicks so much butt. I am pretty sure I can get >24 hours from the TBolt on moderate to heavy use out of the thing. One night I forgot to charge my TBolt and when I woke up, I still had around 50% and it was around 22 and a half hours since the last time it was plugged in. I'm so stoked I got it. I know Seido makes a 3200mah batter now for the TBolt, but the cover for the battery is pretty plain looking (no HTC logo or 4G LTE logos). I got my battery as soon as it was available again on the Android Central shop (shameless plug!!!) and it was a pretty good price. Couldn't be happier!

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
After nearly 4 months of managing to get by on the stock battery and a couple spares, I finally broke down and ordered the 2750 from VZW. At less than $40, I should have done that to begin with. Honestly, I was doing OK without it, but it seemed like it never failed; as soon as I would connect the TB to power either someone would call me or I would realize that I needed to make a call. The part that sucks is now I have to buy yet another case too! Oh well...live and learn! Hope I like the extended battery as much as you do!

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Here's another update on my extended battery from Verizon. Even though I've had this extended battery for a week, today was the first day that I tested to see how long the battery would last from a single full charge. Boy I can't tell you how how freakin hard it was to resist the urge to juice up my Thunderbolt throughout the day! I'm so used to constantly plugging in my Thunderbolt to a wall charger at least several times a day!! I'm not exaggerating when I say my Thunderbolt is usually tethered to a charging cord at work throughout the day anywhere from 5 to 10 times a day or more. This constant recharging throughout the day was with my old standard battery that came with the Thunderbolt.

Now for the good news on the extended battery test today. I normally charge my Thunderbolt throughout the night to get up to 100% life the next morning. I unplugged my TB at 7:30am this morning today and it was at 100% life. Now it's 9:00pm same day, which is about 13 1/2 hours, and my extended battery is now at.............drum roll !!!............44% battery life left !!!! Yowza, this is good stuff !!! No, make that great stuff !!! I'm normally in a 4G area, with a small part of the day at 3G, I did my usual weekday usage on my Thunderbolt such as: Surfing the internet throughout the day, listening to some MP3 and Pandora music, made some phone calls, checking emails, played some Angry Bird games, sending some text messages.

My screen brightness level is usually set lower somewhere between 35% to 40%. But with this extended battery, I want to do a new battery burn test and set the screen level at 100% brightness and see what battery life is left at the end of the day. Oh h@ll, why stop at 100% screen brightness, I want to also turn on the Mobile Hotspot feature all day, and even throw in Verizon GPS navigation and Pandora music running in the background to boot! I might actually do this just for fun to see what damage I can do to the extended battery. Haha!

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I decided to return my extended battery. It certainly worked well and would last at least one day for me, but the size was not for me.

porkchop313

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I just picked up my extended battery a few hours ago so I haven't put it through it's paces in terms of shutting off JuiceDefender and leaving the 4G on all the time. Honestly, anything is better than the stock battery so I'm not super concerned.

What I'm most impressed by is the how good my phone feels in my hand. It's a tiny bit heavier but the small notch on the back is a perfect spot to rest my index finger on and makes me feel like I have a better grip on the phone. Feels pretty good in my pocket too.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up my extended battery a few hours ago so I haven't put it through it's paces in terms of shutting off JuiceDefender and leaving the 4G on all the time. Honestly, anything is better than the stock battery so I'm not super concerned.

What I'm most impressed by is the how good my phone feels in my hand. It's a tiny bit heavier but the small notch on the back is a perfect spot to rest my index finger on and makes me feel like I have a better grip on the phone. Feels pretty good in my pocket too.

I just picked up mine today and I agree with the grip being better. Plus, now I can leave 4G on all day without worries. I'm also surprised on how small the back cover is. Every picture I've seen makes it look huge but its really not as bad as expected. Still big, but managable.

Sent from my Motorola Xoom.