HTC ThunderBolt Shell/Holster Combo

asianrage

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Anyone bought this or tried this on in the store? The form factor of the case remind me of Case-Mate's Barely There line.
But I'm curious about the material construction and quality...

DSC_016213003114884d812dc0775c7.png

asianrage

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
The VZW shell/holster combo works very well and seems to hold the phone securely, at least while it is new... only time will tell if it stays tight and secure or if it loosens up. The inside of the holster has a soft fabric to protect the screen.

The case adds very little bulk to the phone, and as pictured, doesn't completely cover it. The top and bottom are left uncovered, as well as the front. If you intend to carry it mostly in your pocket, the silicone case looks like a better bet... and it is cheaper. If you intend to wear it on your belt, this case seems to be pretty good.

Construction seems to be good, especially for the price vs. the competition. I have never had a case or holster last the life of the phone, with the exception of the OEM holster on my StarTac which was stronger due to the lack of a rotating clip.

An Innocase w/ holster or Otterbox would probably be better, but they are not as easy to get right now and are more expensive. I might upgrade to a better case at some point, but the VZW case will do for now.

The VZW corporate store I was at had a 25% discount on 3 accessories $10 or more or 20% on 2. That makes this case an even better deal. Don't know if this applies everywhere or when it expires.

Reactions: asianrage

asianrage

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
The VZW shell/holster combo works very well and seems to hold the phone securely, at least while it is new... only time will tell if it stays tight and secure or if it loosens up. The inside of the holster has a soft fabric to protect the screen.

The case adds very little bulk to the phone, and as pictured, doesn't completely cover it. The top and bottom are left uncovered, as well as the front. If you intend to carry it mostly in your pocket, the silicone case looks like a better bet... and it is cheaper. If you intend to wear it on your belt, this case seems to be pretty good.

Construction seems to be good, especially for the price vs. the competition. I have never had a case or holster last the life of the phone, with the exception of the OEM holster on my StarTac which was stronger due to the lack of a rotating clip.

An Innocase w/ holster or Otterbox would probably be better, but they are not as easy to get right now and are more expensive. I might upgrade to a better case at some point, but the VZW case will do for now.

The VZW corporate store I was at had a 25% discount on 3 accessories $10 or more or 20% on 2. That makes this case an even better deal. Don't know if this applies everywhere or when it expires.

Thanks for the info. "You're a good man, Charlie Brown."

Can you tell me if the weave texture on the case is a soft touch rubber coating? And is it a tight fit, no looseness around the sides?

I can't believe that I've gotten about 4 different cases for this phone now and I'm still waiting for FedEx to deliver it on Monday.

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I would consider it a medium hardness... not rigid plastic, but not soft like the silicone cases. The phone is a tight fit in the case, with no looseness in the sides, but it is still easy enough to get in and out of the case for battery and micro SD card swaps.

Spoon

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
the weave part is a rubbery feel. sorta tire-like.

Sits on the phone perfectly fine and doesn't move or anything. Removes easily too.

I was thinking of going seidio case and this holster as i don't really like the clip holster of seidio

asianrage

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
the weave part is a rubbery feel. sorta tire-like.

Sits on the phone perfectly fine and doesn't move or anything. Removes easily too.

I was thinking of going seidio case and this holster as i don't really like the clip holster of seidio

I'm turned off by the bulkiness of the Seidio clip as well. The clean look of the VZW version is much preferred. If you do end up going with the Seidio/VZW combo, please pop back in and tell me. With some pics too, of course. :p

asianrage

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I would consider it a medium hardness... not rigid plastic, but not soft like the silicone cases. The phone is a tight fit in the case, with no looseness in the sides, but it is still easy enough to get in and out of the case for battery and micro SD card swaps.

Is it a lint magnet? Given that it's a rubber coating, it doesn't slide around easily, right?

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Is it a lint magnet? Given that it's a rubber coating, it doesn't slide around easily, right?

I haven't had issues with it attracting lint so far and don't think it will be a problem given the surface. I have had no problems with it sliding around.

Something else that just occurred to me is that this is the first rotating belt clip that I have used that doesn't have a tendency to rotate by itself. I have to intentionally rotate it.

It also only rotates 180? so it won't turn upside down and dump the phone out when bumped.

kcinhbca

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Anyone bought this or tried this on in the store? The form factor of the case remind me of Case-Mate's Barely There line.
But I'm curious about the material construction and quality...

DSC_016213003114884d812dc0775c7.png
Where did you get this case? I have one just like it for my Incredible and love it! I want one for my Thunderbolt but can't find it yet.

Joe378

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I purchased this plastic case from the VZW store last Friday. It fits the phone with the slim, stock battery. The phone slides into a case which then slides into the holster. It holds it very firmly. If you put the extended battery on the phone, the phone will still fit securely into the holster, just not the case that slides into the holster. This allows me to wear my phone with the extended battery.

sscinokc

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I got the VZW shell/holster when I purchased the phone on the 17th. So far I love it. Adds very little size to the phone, so I can use the holster or slip the shell in my pocket if I choose to go without the holster. The holster itself works well and holds the phone in place much better than the holster I had for the storm. I wouldn't hesitate purchasing it again. As mentioned by others...all connections (USB, Headset...) work great with the shell.

mjs1124

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I love this case combo. I had one on my Incredible and never had any problems. It fits nicely, its easy to hold, slides in and out of holster easliy, and is easy to remove if necessary. It works great on my thunderbolt too. The edge is raised just a little above the glass which helped with drops I had with Inc. I just put an SGP screen protector on with it and everything is good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret