Just ordered my 2 HTC 1500mAh

AZDROIDX

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
out of curiousity why are you guys buying these batteries? Is it so cause you can't charge your phone @ some point during the day... car dock, computer with usb etc, or do these batteries have better life than the oem?

As long as I'm not traveling for work, I'm good with having somewhere to plug in at all times. I'll be in Vegas next weekend and with 4G there, and maybe with some long nights I want to make sure I can capture some classic photos at 5am! And for those long flights to East coast for work, I don't want to worry about being full before and after flights. I had an extra battery for Storm2, and that wasn't that mush of a battery killer. But traveling and using only your phone, no iPod, PSP or Zune, I need a backup. But that's me.

mlpjunior

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
How much you got? The one I used this afternoon seems to disagree with you, but I'm sure you know because of experience right?

Let's start with the fact that the product page originally said 1500 mAh, but now claims 1700 mAh. Go ahead, click the link from the original post and see for yourself. Hmm, I think they might be jobbing you--what say you? To me, that's proof enough, but let's continue anyway just for fun...

Next, I should point out that they are clearly counterfeit based on the photos. If they are willing to put an HTC logo on a battery that is obviously not made by HTC, what's stopping them from claiming a couple hundred extra mAh too? You guessed it--absolutely nothing.

Now, let's move onto the pure economics of it. If HTC, with its vast resources and R&D, can't manage to cram more than 1400 mAh into this form factor, what makes you think a cheap knockoff factory has figured it out? Well I'm here to tell you that they haven't. If they had, HTC would have bought their technology up before they even had time to look up the definition of vertical integration.

Lastly, let's look at the competition. Seidio and Mugen, which are reputable companies with heaps of name recognition, have been known to overstate the capacity of their batteries. Point being, if companies with something to lose can't be trusted to accurately state their batteries' capacities, what makes you think that a nameless, faceless, knockoff shop has any incentive to do so?

So in response to your first question, as much as you are willing to lose.

Edit: Attached screen shot of Amazon product listing just in case it gets changed again (to 1800mAh, perhaps?). Note the 1500mAh tag in the address bar, but the recently changed 1700mAh in the product description.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Let's start with the fact that the product page originally said 1500 mAh, but now claims 1700 mAh. Go ahead, click the link from the original post and see for yourself. Hmm, I think they might be jobbing you--what say you? To me, that's proof enough, but let's continue anyway just for fun...

Next, I should point out that they are clearly counterfeit based on the photos. If they are willing to put an HTC logo on a battery that is obviously not made by HTC, what's stopping them from claiming a couple hundred extra mAh too? You guessed it--absolutely nothing.

Now, let's move onto the pure economics of it. If HTC, with its vast resources and R&D, can't manage to cram more than 1400 mAh into this form factor, what makes you think a cheap knockoff factory has figured it out? Well I'm here to tell you that they haven't. If they had, HTC would have bought their technology up before they even had time to look up the definition of vertical integration.

Lastly, let's look at the competition. Seidio and Mugen, which are reputable companies with heaps of name recognition, have been known to overstate the capacity of their batteries. Point being, if companies with something to lose can't be trusted to accurately state their batteries' capacities, what makes you think that a nameless, faceless, knockoff shop has any incentive to do so?

Edit: Attached screen shot of Amazon product listing just in case it gets changed again (to 1800mAh, perhaps?). Note the 1500mAh tag in the address bar, but the recently changed 1700mAh in the product description.

Thank you for explaining it so I didn't have to. Batteries are one of those things that you buy name brand (OEM on cell phones or for other batteries such as AAA, AA, etc. you buy Energizer or Duracell). These batteries you're purchasing are not made of high quality. You can believe what you want but that does not make the battery any better.

yeabuddi

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
the output voltage on those chargers seems to be differnt than the charger that came with the phone (5v)
i def. wouldn't use that because it will only make your original battery life worse

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
the output voltage on those chargers seems to be differnt than the charger that came with the phone (5v)
i def. wouldn't use that because it will only make your original battery life worse

If you are talking about dedicated battery charging devices, the voltage may be different since it only has to meet the needs of charging the Li-Ion battery, and does not have to worry about powering the rest of the phone or adhering to the USB specifications.

The USB spec is 5V DC 500mAh (higher current is permitted for dedicated charging with a minor wiring modification to disable the data connection). All USB devices must use 5V DC when pulling power from the USB connector, but the voltage may be modified for other purposes later on by circuitry within the device (like for recharging the battery).

The USB adapter that ships with the phone has no charging intelligence, it only spits out 5V DC at up to 1000mAh. The actual charging is done by the phone, which takes the condition of the battery (among other things) into account.

When you use a cheap spare battery charger, you have to hope that they got it right to charge your battery properly and safely, since it has to implement things normally done within the phone.

So, the different voltage on the spare battery charger may be OK despite the voltage being different. Or, it might not be... that's the problem with cheap no-name equipment.

If the spare battery charger has a USB port, you might want to verify the voltage on that to make sure it is around 5V. The voltage being off there could cause some serious damage.

mlpjunior

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for explaining it so I didn't have to. Batteries are one of those things that you buy name brand (OEM on cell phones or for other batteries such as AAA, AA, etc. you buy Energizer or Duracell). These batteries you're purchasing are not made of high quality. You can believe what you want but that does not make the battery any better.

No problem. Just trying to fight the good fight and make sure AC Forums members don't get swindled by false claims.

AZDROIDX

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site

I agree with you, I too noticed that. It is fishy to me too, I'm glad I went the route of getting the My Touch 4G set, that has been out longer and with more reviews. And my understanding is that HTC in fact does have 1500mAh baterries for the 4G? Anyways, I am loving these batteries! Have been just as good if not better than my OEM, let's see if they hold 3 months from now. The plug in charger is sweet. I come downstairs and I have a nice fully charged battery to install, wife using charger in room for D2 overnight, so this works great for me.

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
out of curiousity why are you guys buying these batteries? Is it so cause you can't charge your phone @ some point during the day... car dock, computer with usb etc, or do these batteries have better life than the oem?

Just to have charged spares just in case more power is needed.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you, I too noticed that. It is fishy to me too, I'm glad I went the route of getting the My Touch 4G set, that has been out longer and with more reviews. And my understanding is that HTC in fact does have 1500mAh baterries for the 4G? Anyways, I am loving these batteries! Have been just as good if not better than my OEM, let's see if they hold 3 months from now. The plug in charger is sweet. I come downstairs and I have a nice fully charged battery to install, wife using charger in room for D2 overnight, so this works great for me.

It's possible that HTC has released a 1500 mAh battery for the 4G but I can't confirm. A general rule that I follow is that if I can't find it on either the phone manufacturers or cell phone carriers (in this case, HTC or T-Mobile), I tend to look the other way as it seems a bit unlikely that it's legit from a third party source. I checked both websites and found no such battery so I can't confirm or deny if it exists. Another rule of thumb is that I follow different rules on different types of items when I read reviews. In cases as batteries, if it's not OEM, I do not care what others day. Most reviews are written within days of receiving the product and are never edited out when and if the product fails. It really depends and you have to consider everything before purchasing anything with all this counterfeiting going on.

Rhyyker

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If the mytouch 4G battery is the same one as the Tbolt battery, doesnt that pretty much kill any hope of a higher cap standard size battery coming out? Otherwise, wouldn't they have made it for the MT4G already?