Wireless charging dock

stearic

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Well now that the wireless charging back plate is available, anyone going to get it? $100 may be a bit for wireless charging, but i think it may be worth it myself. Debating now if i want to get it or not.

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Too thick and expensive (unless you already have a pad) for me. I'd just go back to the extended battery if I was going to thicken my phone again. Double battery life is a lot more valuable than the "convenience" of not having to plug in when at home. I quote convenience because people will most likely have 1 pad in 1 room which doesn't sound too convenient to me. If they could have packed some extra juice into it then we'd be talking. I don't think I'd use it for more than a day or two even if I got it all free. None of my cases or car dock fit, but I can not need to plug in at home? ...meh. I'm in on this when it's built into the stock phone or can charge wireless from like 20' away.

htc_thunderbolt_inductive_bat_cov.png

Edit - Also, the term wireless charging is a bit gimmicky... what is so wireless about it? You need to set it down on a wired pad to charge. So the convenience is literally just not having to manually stick the little plug in. And it's harder to use while charging that a corded one because you can't pick it up.

Sorry for ripping it. Just my opinion. To each his own. :)

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Too thick and expensive (unless you already have a pad) for me. I'd just go back to the extended battery if I was going to thicken my phone again. Double battery life is a lot more valuable than the "convenience" of not having to plug in when at home. I quote convenience because people will most likely have 1 pad in 1 room which doesn't sound too convenient to me. If they could have packed some extra juice into it then we'd be talking. I don't think I'd use it for more than a day or two even if I got it all free. None of my cases or car dock fit, but I can not need to plug in at home? ...meh. I'm in on this when it's built into the stock phone or can charge wireless from like 20' away.

htc_thunderbolt_inductive_bat_cov.png

Edit - Also, the term wireless charging is a bit gimmicky... what is so wireless about it? You need to set it down on a wired pad to charge. So the convenience is literally just not having to manually stick the little plug in. And it's harder to use while charging that a corded one because you can't pick it up.

Sorry for ripping it. Just my opinion. To each his own. :)

although it would require some modification, i think the electronics in this backing should be able to be installed on an extended battery setup, from what i can tell, the charging point is the 4 connectors on the battery cover that match with the 4 connectors on the Thunderbolt, right next to the vibrator (see pics below). The question is the thickness of the electronics in the cover, if it isn't too thick, and you are using a case, then you may be able to transfer the electronics on the charger cover to a regular battery cover, with just a slight bulge in the battery cover, or perhaps even hollowing the battery cover partially where the battery is and adhering the charger electronics to the battery itself. also, i think this is a nice option if your micro usb port goes out.

Last edited:

Cyrix2k

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I want to play with this... the touchstone might be a better solution for me since it's cheap & small. My idea is to integrate the wireless charger into the tray I sit the phone on in my car. I stream a lot of music while in the car and this should keep the battery from dying. I agree that wireless charging seems kind of gimicky at the house, but then again, it is nice to be able to put the phone down and have it charge without having to do *anything*.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I want to play with this... the touchstone might be a better solution for me since it's cheap & small. My idea is to integrate the wireless charger into the tray I sit the phone on in my car. I stream a lot of music while in the car and this should keep the battery from dying. I agree that wireless charging seems kind of gimicky at the house, but then again, it is nice to be able to put the phone down and have it charge without having to do *anything*.

someone has used the electronics from the palm battery back to make the thunderbolt work with the touchstone. Wireless charge from palm series.......DONE - xda-developers

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to hear some reviews too. Hope I didn't scare anyone off. I won't say anything else negative. I'm just curious at this point.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

lemieuxfan67

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to hear some reviews too. Hope I didn't scare anyone off. I won't say anything else negative. I'm just curious at this point.

I just recently got the Thunderbolt wireless battery door and the verizon wireless lg wireless charging mat. I like the way it works, so much better then fishing for a cord in the dark when going to bed. Only one complaint, when you set down the phone, the mat makes a beep to let you know the phone is charging. That wakes up my wife, which does not help the main reason for getting the mat (not having to find the plug in the dark and make noise).

If anyone out there knows a way to turn off the audible beep, that would make this great.

I'm thinking about getting the energizer one anyway, as that has 2 charging spots...perfect for my wife's phone when she upgrades in a couple of months. Does anyone out there have the energizer pad...and does it make a beeping tone when connecting a phone?

Much thanks!

Reactions: SoDev

stearic

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Evidently this won't work (as of yet anyways) with cyanogenmod on our TBs. So looks like i'll be holding off on this until(if) it's working in CM.

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Just postin to report that I'm really happy with mine. It wasn't very handy at home because I just didn't use it much. Putting it down and using it in the bedroom just seemed so limiting.

So I took it to work, mounted it to my stand up keyboard tray and I use it pretty much all day. Very very useful that way. I can pick it up and go and put it down, no fuss. I don't have to think about it ever.

SDC11856.jpg

itsme2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Cowboom.com has the "Powermat" set for $14.99. It comes with a 3-space base mat and one universal receiver. The universal receiver is large and cumbersome, wholly impractical to use with a cell phone. However, I extracted the guts out of the receiver and attached them to my Samsung Replenish via the secondary solar cell charging electrical contacts. The power receiver still works, but can only recharge my Replenish at 5-6% per hour via the solar cell contacts. I did additional testing and found that the Powermat can recharge via micro-USB jack at 18-20% per hour. So I ordered a right-angle micro-USB plug and will rewire my Powermat receiver to go into the USB on a semi-persistent basis. That is, the micro-USB plug from the Powermat receiver could be unplugged if I need to recharge via normal wired means. I just ordered some more of these cheap Powermat kits so I can place a charging station at the several spots I usually hang out at.

itsme2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I did some further experimenting with the Powermat receiver. It is a three layer sandwich consisting of the RF coil, inductor/magnet, and PC board. You can desolder the two points that connect the RF coil to the PC board, and then gently pry the PC board away from the inductor (it's glued on). You can then clip off the tip of the PC board that sticks out for the RF connection, flip the PC board around, and resolder. This yields an assembly that is longer, but thinner, and still works in converting the RF energy to DC current. The new length is less than the height of my battery door, so it will still fit (relatively) nicely on the back of my phone. I may even route out a hole in my battery cover to reduce the thickness profile a bit more, which should also provide better mechanical support.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance