How do you get free wireless hotspot?

SpeedJunkie69

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Obviously I have a rooted Thunderbolt, and I thought there was an app in the android market for it. But most of the ones I have found have bad reviews from people saying they don't work. Where do I get an app for it?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Flash a ROM that has it built in... CM7 and Liquid Thunderbread have Portable Wi-Fi hotspot built in to the Wireless & network settings. Otherwise, I'd search around XDA forums for an app.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Google search android wifi tether from your phone and it will bring you to a place where you can download the app from the browser. verizon is blocking it from the market. Depending on what type of tethering you need will determine which app you need. version 3 will allow you to tether to any device, tether 2 which works better is limited to laptops and ipods (no gaming systems). I haven't tested version 3 on my phone yet, but the ad hoc methods work great for me.

vanster

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Obviously I have a rooted Thunderbolt, and I thought there was an app in the android market for it. But most of the ones I have found have bad reviews from people saying they don't work. Where do I get an app for it?
I'm using 2.0.7 works great for tethering my kids ipods and my laptop. I only have 3g in my area right now

SF DINC

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

It is in the market.....you have to put your phone in airplane mode, then turn on wireless......go to the market search wireless tether....it will pop up....download install bam you now have free wireless tether..also here is a link with the latest greatest wireless tether apk's you can just download directly to your phone and you can skip the airplane mode way.....Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting good luck...2.0.7 is the one I use, I have not gotten anything above that to work.

Last edited:

milwaukee613

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Flash a ROM that has it built in... CM7 and Liquid Thunderbread have Portable Wi-Fi hotspot built in to the Wireless & network settings. Otherwise, I'd search around XDA forums for an app.

Ive heard stories of people using the tethering, and then Verizon biled them. If im running CM7 and use the tether, am I running a risk?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Ive heard stories of people using the tethering, and then Verizon biled them. If im running CM7 and use the tether, am I running a risk?

I'm sure everyone is running a risk... and I don't use my hotspot right now, so I can not speak to if Verizon knows when I do or not... I guess I'll find out when I do use it... and believe me I'm not an abuser, I just want my wife to be able to connect to my device on rare occasions with her tablet to get to the web... and I usually only use less than 1G per month average use anyways.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

I'm sure everyone is running a risk... and I don't use my hotspot right now, so I can not speak to if Verizon knows when I do or not... I guess I'll find out when I do use it... and believe me I'm not an abuser, I just want my wife to be able to connect to my device on rare occasions with her tablet to get to the web... and I usually only use less than 1G per month average use anyways.

Of course it's a risk, as it definitely goes against Verizon's terms of service. *If* you actually plan on using a decent amount of tethering data, you should probably pay for the service. That may not be a popular opinion, and many may say, "but my bill is already high enough and I can't afford it!". Fair enough, but that doesn't change Verizon's policy (which you agreed to when you signed your contract).

For me, I have the app and have tested it to make sure it works, but really never use it. I like the idea of being able to use the tether in the rare instances where I may need it, but certainly don't have enough of a need to pay for it. I can't envision myself using more than a trivial of data...ever. If my only 2 choices were to pay for tethering or not have it at all...I'd not have it at all.

se_brandon

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
It is in the market.....you have to put your phone in airplane mode, then turn on wireless......go to the market search wireless tether....it will pop up....download install bam you now have free wireless tether..also here is a link with the latest greatest wireless tether apk's you can just download directly to your phone and you can skip the airplane mode way.....Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting good luck...2.0.7 is the one I use, I have not gotten anything above that to work.

I had the same problem with any version above 2.0.7 with my rooted Bolt. It works great with 2.0.7 though so it is all good!

DirtMcGirt

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm running Wireless Tether, have been for 2 months with zero problems. If you know how to use google, you should know how to find the apk.

android06

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
im using wifi tether and it's awesome.. im able to use the default hotspot app with the bamf 3.0 rom but it has the same problems as i did when my bolt was stock (ie. when hotspot is enabled, my data connection keeps going on and off) wifi thether fixed that.

p.s. so if i decide to pay for the hotspot, what would change? the mobile hotspot already works (terribly but it works).
im thinking of paying for it every now and then so that verizon wont get suspicious...