Root with MR2 update?

stockandroidguy

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Was wondering if you follow the same process for the OTA update we all just got or is there a new one? ANy help would be greatly appreciated

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
The auto root works with the MR2 update but it will downgrade you back to the MR1...after that you will need to flash the MR2 radio for root users with a compatible ROM that works with the MR2 radios.

I've spoken to DroidXcon who wrote the auto root program to see if its possible to upgrade it to the MR2 radio. The problem is.. since the only way to root this phone is to downgrade the radio... everytime a new update is released the auto root program will have to be re-written which is a pain in the neck. He said he will try to see if there's a way to write an auto root program that's compatible with all future updates... don't hold your breath on that one though. When it comes to rooting this phone... they didn't make it very user friendly.

redraider133

Banned
Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
The auto root works with the MR2 update but it will downgrade you back to the MR1...after that you will need to flash the MR2 radio for root users with a compatible ROM that works with the MR2 radios.

I've spoken to DroidXcon who wrote the auto root program to see if its possible to upgrade it to the MR2 radio. The problem is.. since the only way to root this phone is to downgrade the radio... everytime a new update is released the auto root program will have to be re-written which is a pain in the neck. He said he will try to see if there's a way to write an auto root program that's compatible with all future updates... don't hold your breath on that one though. When it comes to rooting this phone... they didn't make it very user friendly.

Ok so once I downgrade with the autoroot I need to flash the radio or just the rom? Sorry I haven't rooted since my original(on my 5th replacement) and this came preinstalled with mr2 update.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Both... unless they released an MR2 update that works on rooted stock phones you need to flash the MR2 radio and then a custom ROM that supports it..any of the Gingerbread ROMs and I believe Bamf 1.8.6 which is a Froyo ROM works with it as well... it will tell you in each of the ROM threads which radio needs to needs to be used.

If you flash the radio first.. you will lose your network service until you flash a compatible ROM. It doesn't matter which one you flash first though. I did the radio and then rebooted and did the ROM.

redraider133

Banned
Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Both... unless they released an MR2 update that works on rooted stock phones you need to flash the MR2 radio and then a custom ROM that supports it..any of the Gingerbread ROMs and I believe Bamf 1.8.6 which is a Froyo ROM works with it as well... it will tell you in each of the ROM threads which radio needs to needs to be used.

If you flash the radio first.. you will lose your network service until you flash a compatible ROM. It doesn't matter which one you flash first though. I did the radio and then rebooted and did the ROM.

Thank you I think I'll give it a try after work. Any recommendations for which roms to use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22