[FAQ] Should I Root My Thunderbolt?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Once rooted I know we cannot accept ota updates however I have read they are sometimes pushed and run automatically. Can this happen if you are rooted? Obviously I don't want it to.

Not that it matters in this context but I'd rather get rid of sense if it doesn't mess up anything else.

And thanks...your post had the info I needed.

If you're running stock OS, then yes, there is a good chance that any official updates could get pushed to your phone.

There were quite a few posts on this forum right after the last OTA came out from people who had either

A) intentionally installed the OTA and were upset that they lost root or screwed their phone up or
B) were rooted but running stock OS and had Verizon push the update to them without doing anything and having to re-root

Those post were actually my inspiration to write this one.

It will be especially important to make sure that no future VZW updates are installed (Gingerbread), as the current root methods will no longer work on phones that install it.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
So this could happen to me if running bamf 1.8.6?

Scary scenario is ota loads and runs while I sleep, bricks phone, no way to fix because rooting blocked by update.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
But how can you be rooted and still running stock os? Sorry if my newbie questions are dumb.

When you finish the rooting process you are currently left with root-enabled MR1 stock rom, radio, and kernel. You don't have to change anything after that, if you don't want to, but there are some issues that could come up if you don't - such as forced root-disabled OTA update to MR2 from verizion, which could damage your phone or at least cause unnecessary trouble for ya.

+bump

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Made a few updates to the OP to reflect changes now that the GB update has been released and the Revolutionary root method has been confirmed working.

Thanks everyone.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Good info! Thanks Pete and to the others who contributed too.

Now I must continue on to more how to root readings.

PS, so Pete (or anyone else in the field), now that official GB is out, and on my device, has the exploit to root been changed, which in turn has changed the way we root via the instructions in the links provided? also,I understand that I can use the revolutionary method which also achieves the same end result of being rooted, are there any drawbacks to using revolutionary instead of the original root method. I'm thinking that if I'm already going to teach myself how to root, them might as well learn the original method if it has more benefits (I'm unsure).

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Good info! Thanks Pete and to the others who contributed too.

Now I must continue on to more how to root readings.

PS, so Pete (or anyone else in the field), now that official GB is out, and on my device, has the exploit to root been changed, which in turn has changed the way we root via the instructions in the links provided? also,I understand that I can use the revolutionary method which also achieves the same end result of being rooted, are there any drawbacks to using revolutionary instead of the original root method. I'm thinking that if I'm already going to teach myself how to root, them might as well learn the original method if it has more benefits (I'm unsure).

I have not tested at all since I rooted my Thunderbolt way back in April when I got it, but I'm pretty sure the "original" method many of us used to root will no longer work. If you're already on GB, you'll want to use the Revolutionary method.

There are no drawbacks to using this method at all, in fact, you actually gain the advantage of NOT having to wipe your data in the process.

There are definitely reasons to learn ADB, which provides command line access to the phone's Android shell from your computer, but unless you're a "power user" (i.e. developer, themer, etc) it's really not that necessary, especially now that it's not needed to gain root access.

Reactions: Green_Laser

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Great, thanks for the info I needed a well as for getting back to me rather swiftly Pete!

I will check out the revolutionary method, though knowing myself, I'll still backup all I can first hehe.

This is great guidance!