Forced OTA 1.70.605.0 and rooted but stock - help :(

Andy19

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Assuming you are rooted and have s-off, the no_hboot.zip flashes the factory mr1 (minus s-on). If you just install that, you still have s-off. If you then install the hboot_1.4.0000.zip, it will return you back to full factory firmware with s-on. This is what you want if you're going to return a device. Flashing hboot before the no_hboot.zip could put you in a mess.

How do I know for sure if I have s-off running at the moment? I'm pretty sure I do, but not 100%.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
get rid of any pg05img.zip on your sdcard. Power off the phone, hold volume down and power. Up near the top, it should say S-On or S-Off

Andy19

May 13, 2011
Visit site
How do I exit out of that once I get in there? I haven't done it yet, currently removing the pg05img.zip file.

Is there any information I can provide to you guys off of that?

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Believe you just choose Fastboot and it should give an option to reboot. Below is the screen that would show S-On or S-Off

p467.jpg.scaled500.jpg

Andy19

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Alright. So now that I removed the pg05img.zip file off of my SD card, I can't mess this up, can I? lol

(I'm super paranoid in case you haven't figured that out yet haha)

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
When your friend rooted it, did he flash clockworkmod using Rom Manager? If no, download Rom Manager from the market, accept root permissions and choose Flash Clockworkmod Recovery. Then you should be able to install the rooted MR2 in your post with no issues. You'll also need to flash the radio that's in the same thread. Easiest way is to download the rom (location doesn't matter) and download the MR2 radio and make sure it's on the root of your sdcard as PG05IMG.zip (if you download it on a PC, make sure you don't name it .zip.zip). Then go into into Rom Manager, choose Reboot into Recovery. Then select install rom from zip, navigate to the rom and let it install. Once finished, you can pull the battery and use Volume Down + Power to get into hboot. Select Fastboot and it should search for the file and ask if you want to install.

Andy19

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I used Rom Manager previously since my friend told me to re-download that from the market a few days ago when I was going to attempt loading CM7.

What post are you referring to with the MR2 radio? My previous problem thread?

If so, that is what I have installed, as far as I know, and I'm getting the random Verizon updates.

Kernel version
2.6.32.21-gb05544a
htc-kernal@and18-2 #1
Tuesday Mar 1 16:38:55 CST 2011

Does that help at all? I can post the other software information if needed.

Thank you for the reply!

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
The link that you posted in the first post of this thread. Go to Settings-About Phone-Software information and post Build/Software Number and Baseband Version

Andy19

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Ahh ok. Forgot I posted that in my original post.

Here is the other info:

Baseband version 1.16.00.0402w_1

Build number
1.12.605.6 CL338893 release-keys

Software number

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
hmm...looks like you're still on the firmware that initially came on the Thunderbolt so that puts you a couple "official" updates behind. You'll definitely need the MR2 radio that's included at that link. Just flash the rom download in clockworkmod and the radio PG05IMG.zip in hboot and you should be on rooted MR2. From there you can install any of the newer roms including the GB Sense 3.0 roms by just flashing it in clockwork.

CaptBubba

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
So, turns out I'm in a bit of a similar situation.

The OTA update went through and downloaded and I wasn't paying attention because I thought I had blocked them. Apparently not and I was an idiot and told it to reboot as I was finishing tweaking swiftkey X.

Now I'm stuck in a loop. The update reboots the phone, Clockworkmod Recovery loads, fails to verify whole-file signature, and stops. Next when I restart the phone again it goes all the way into android, waits a few seconds, then says "Shutting down" and tries to apply the update again! I have airplane mode enabled and the same thing occurs.

I do have the phone in USB debugging and Charge only mode, so I'm thinking about trying to unroot the phone to return it to stick (and thus wipe-out the update file, wherever it is) and then making the decision on if I want to re-root or stick around until GB comes out for real.

Is this a reasonable path to take? Or is their an easier way to just strip out the update file and unflag whatever is causing the reboot? I'm just running the standard rooted rom, not GB or anything special. The only thing I've done is get rid of the bloatware and install wifi tether.

edit: Doh. booting into Hboot and reflashing the pg05img.zip still on my sd card from the original root seems to have solved the problem. Of course now I have to set everything back up again but that's still preferable to a useless phone!

Last edited:

Andy19

May 13, 2011
Visit site
^^ Is your phone still rooted?

Mine keeps randomly re-setting now and it's getting really annoying and worrying me. I don't know what is going on.

I don't want to be rooted anymore, but I'm not sure which software I need to install and I don't know if you're supposed to get rid of HBoot or if you can access that with stock software.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
me? yeah I'm on BAMF Sense 3.0 RC4.9. Installed the Gingeritis 3D which is based on the new GB leak and leaked radio but have had 6 random reboots in 3 days so back to BAMF for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22