"S-on/off" whats this mean?

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I keep seeing these terms, but haven't found an explanation of its meaning?
S-on means that you DO NOT have Super User rights to your phone. S-off means that you do have SuperUser rights to your phone... alot of rooted apps and procedures require that you have 'S-off"

You are not technically Rooted unless your Hboot screen says S-off. to get into hboot mode.. shut off phone, hold down the volume key and press the power key (hold both at the same time untill your phone turns on) then you can tell if you are rooted or not.

A very helpful guide you could read is this http://forums.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/103522-faq-should-i-root-my-thunderbolt.html

Last edited:

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Not that it makes a difference, but if you want to get technical...

The "s" stands for "security". s-on indicates that the bootloader is locked and that only signed (a.k.a. "official") images can be installed. This essentially means that you cannot install custom ROMs.

This is actually independent of having su rights to the phone OS.

Reactions: ssethv

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah what he said. A more accurate definition is that S-ON means locked bootloader and S-OFF means unlocked.

As for what it allows you to do, compare what you CAN'T do on most Motorola phones to what you CAN do on pretty much every HTC phone. S-OFF is a great thing and you should absolutely do it if you plan on rooting/modding your phone.