AOSP ROMs lock on Google websites???

schrochem

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I think I narrowed down a problem with my browser.
I loaded CM7 yesterday but never could connect on the internet. If I did it was just for a few sites then it would lock up.
I had Das Bamf sense 3 rc4.9 and this wasn't an issue.
This morning I loaded Liquid thunderbread 2.3 and had the same problem.
So I started troubleshooting to narrow it down.
This problem occurs in both the stock browser and Dolphin HD so I don't think that's it.
I tried different radios and that wasn't it.
So I started trying to figure out why I could get to some sites and not other.
BTW, email and texting work just fine.

If I don't go to a google site I can continue surfing just fine.
The second I go to a google site the indicator for loading goes about 10% and locks. Then I can't navigate out to another site. I have to close the window or the whole browser and start over. I had to change the home page away from google.com because I'd be hosed right off the bat. To see further I went to picasa and it did the same thing and so did market.android.com

CM7 I flashed twice but didn't get that much troubleshooting but I believe the homepage was google.com. I had to go back to Das Bamf so I could use my phone (I couldn't get to the market to download).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks

schrochem

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I didn't do it for CM7 because I didn't know about it at the time. It doesn't seem like I need it for Liquid because it was already loaded.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I didn't do it for CM7 because I didn't know about it at the time. It doesn't seem like I need it for Liquid because it was already loaded.

I'm sorry I was referring to the post I quoted... I did not realize you were on Liquid now... Liquid does not require GAPPS... all Google apps are including in the ROM for Liquid, or at least most of them.

Did you wipe your device, clear cache and clear Dalvik cache before you flashed this new ROM???

jstewart0131

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I thought you needed GAPPS to even see the Market on your phone... and when you flash GAPPS you get the option of loading some of Google's apps when you start the Market the first time.
You do for CM7, as you already said you don't for Liquid. I too forgot that Liquid bundles them.

schrochem

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes I did all those.
However, I didn't reboot before loading the ROM. I wonder if that did it?
Also I read that some people also do mounts and storage...format /system but I don't know if that would help.
New development.
If I switch to wifi I don't have this google site problem. If I turn it off and go back to mobile it still isn't working......

schrochem

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I tried reflashing.....
I wiped the data, the cach and the dalvik all three times. I did the battery stats three times. I did the mounts and storage format/system once.
I reflashed the mr2 official radio, then loaded liquid thunderbread again.
I haven't done anything but given my gmail address. I haven't installed a single app or restored any settings.
I still get the same thing.....
I fooled with it a bit more and if I go to wifi it's not a problem. If I go to CDMA only, I get the 1X but it still doesn't lock up. If I put it back to CDMA?EvDo auto the problem comes back...
My battery is still diving....since I reflashed I've lost 16% in 1.5 hours and it says 34% of that is cell standby.
Is there a chance my bootloader is screwing up flashing my radio??

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
One more possible issue might be you have either a bad copy of ROM, or part of it was corrupted when you downloaded... delete all copies of the ROM you have on your device and on any PC's. Download it again... double check the MD5Sum code (I assume you have downloaded a program that can check this MD5Sum code)... then follow the correct procedures on installing a ROM (I generally follow the procedure on [Guide] How to Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Thunderbolt).

Good luck.

schrochem

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for sticking with me....
I did all of the above this morning and still had the same result.
I did notice that eventually the google page will come up, but it takes about 3 minutes to do so.
I decided to load up CM7 with qapps. I did the md5 verification, etc.
It does the same thing....If I go to other pages they load right up, but google.com took three minutes before the circle 'load' animation kicked in and downloaded the page.
I went away to other pages and came back and it loaded up fine. BUT if I put an actual search in it takes 4 minutes to load up. If I then try to go to any other page it will also hang. I have to kill that window first.
If I clear cache and history it takes 3 minutes to load google.com again....

And my battery has gone down 30% in two hours...
Last night I did a test. I put the phone in airplane mode and only lost 1%. Battery stats showed 56% was phone idle and 26% cell standby.

schrochem

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I loaded up lean kernel on the liquid to see if it would help. Nope. Also the battery was the same.
Loaded up BAMF again and it was fine. The battery drainage was still an issue but I could do google sites without the lag.
I went back to my first backup after rooting and had no signal....
I loaded up a Froyo sense rom EATON
[ROM][FROYO][MR2] Team GTP Eaton Rom v1.5.3 - xda-developers
It does the same thing but just not as long. Maybe a minute instead of 3 but other sites are much faster. However, I also can't get into Market. (google site)
I've been posting all these specific ticks in hopes a developer reads this and can maybe utilize the pieces to figure this out. I can't help but think there's a correlation between this and the battery drainage. It just seems like some wires got crossed somewhere and it only affects some of the Tbolt users. Others don't have this problem and can get great results with different roms and kernels.

rsminer

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I loaded up lean kernel on the liquid to see if it would help. Nope. Also the battery was the same.
Loaded up BAMF again and it was fine. The battery drainage was still an issue but I could do google sites without the lag.
I went back to my first backup after rooting and had no signal....
I loaded up a Froyo sense rom EATON
[ROM][FROYO][MR2] Team GTP Eaton Rom v1.5.3 - xda-developers
It does the same thing but just not as long. Maybe a minute instead of 3 but other sites are much faster. However, I also can't get into Market. (google site)
I've been posting all these specific ticks in hopes a developer reads this and can maybe utilize the pieces to figure this out. I can't help but think there's a correlation between this and the battery drainage. It just seems like some wires got crossed somewhere and it only affects some of the Tbolt users. Others don't have this problem and can get great results with different roms and kernels.
download set DNS from market...change to google dns. i believe thats the fix for your problem. you might have to change some numbers in there also, but i can't remember exactly

schrochem

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I restored a copy of Liquid and the set DNS fixed the delay issue. I find it amazing this happens and we have to have a special app to fix it....
Now all I need is an app that makes my battery last for 20hrs :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol