Question about my rooted TB and the OTA update

mikewelch5

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone I rooted my TB a few months ago, I haven't gotten around to doing any roms/radios or anything like that.

But I read that I shouldn't download the OTA updates for the phone or it will brick it. I haven't ever gone to "Updates" in the settings menu and hit check, but today I looked at my phone and it was downloading new software. I turned off the phone and so far it hasn't started downloading again.

I guess my question is what do I do? It will be impossible to keep an eye on it and keep checking it. Is my phone gonna be bricked when I wake up in the morning? haha, thanks for the help.

milwaukee613

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone I rooted my TB a few months ago, I haven't gotten around to doing any roms/radios or anything like that.

But I read that I shouldn't download the OTA updates for the phone or it will brick it. I haven't ever gone to "Updates" in the settings menu and hit check, but today I looked at my phone and it was downloading new software. I turned off the phone and so far it hasn't started downloading again.

I guess my question is what do I do? It will be impossible to keep an eye on it and keep checking it. Is my phone gonna be bricked when I wake up in the morning? haha, thanks for the help.

No its not going to brick. You are fine.
Even if your phone somehow downloaded the update on its own.
You have to manually accept the update.
Just make sure you dont accept it.
Also I'm not sure, but, if you use root explorer, you might be able to find the update file and delete it. (im just guessing here, but it seems reasonable that if the update file exists on your phone, you should be able to find it and delete it).

Just dont reboot in the Hboot.

DaddyW123

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
ok, so I should have looked at this before clicking ok...

I have a rooted phone so that I could remove bloatware by using Titanium Backup, but have not downloaded any custom roms or radios.

I went to the Update section of my phone and said yes to download. I'm pretty sure that it will prompt me again to do the install after it's done downloading, but I'm not positive.

If it doesn't and It installs, is it going to brick? And/or what do I need to do to my phone so that I can install the OTA update?

Sorry for being a noob, just REALLY don't want to brick my phone, but I do want the OTA update. Maybe I'm just strange for wanting the OTA update rather than doing it with ROM, but I guess I'm a bit OCD like that.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
ok, so I should have looked at this before clicking ok...

I have a rooted phone so that I could remove bloatware by using Titanium Backup, but have not downloaded any custom roms or radios.

I went to the Update section of my phone and said yes to download. I'm pretty sure that it will prompt me again to do the install after it's done downloading, but I'm not positive.

If it doesn't and It installs, is it going to brick? And/or what do I need to do to my phone so that I can install the OTA update?

Sorry for being a noob, just REALLY don't want to brick my phone, but I do want the OTA update. Maybe I'm just strange for wanting the OTA update rather than doing it with ROM, but I guess I'm a bit OCD like that.

Please read this thread I created when the last OTA was released. You'll find instructions for manually installing the latest OS version manually. You will want to do this before you TBolt decides to just go ahead and automatically install the update you just agreed to download.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...latest-update-if-rooted-running-stock-os.html

See the link in my Signature as well for tips on backing up your data prior to installing new ROMs.

Once you root, you forego the ability to install OTA updates...that's just the way it goes. For more on this, you can also check the FAQ I link to in my sig.

DaddyW123

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Thank you very much for the help. The OTA download I foolishly kicked off myself canceled itself (I think because I had removed the Verizon bloatware, it didn't meet spec anymore).

So I just flashed my first ROM of BAMF Forever Cubed 1.0.8. So far so good, just tweaking it now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37