Bamf 1.8.6 or cm7???

justo1013

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
i currently have CM7 but the MR1.. i was a little iffy about flashing my radio, however i know i will need to for CM7 1.3 or BAMF 1.8.6... i just want some input on the both of them and which radio i should get, mr2 or mr2.5 so i can make a decision.. Thanks

SpeedJunkie69

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I had CM7 with the MR2 radio for a while. Worked great but wasn't my cup of tea, so now I'm on bamf 2.1 remix. Why do you want to flash 1.8.6 and not a newer version?

justo1013

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I had CM7 with the MR2 radio for a while. Worked great but wasn't my cup of tea, so now I'm on bamf 2.1 remix. Why do you want to flash 1.8.6 and not a newer version?
i guess because i have read a lot of good reviews on 1.8.6 and that it is reallyyy stable and havent really heard much about 2.1... do you recommend that i update my radio regardless from MR1 to MR2? even if i decide to stay with CM7? because i have read soo many mixed things about the updated radio... some people saying its really good and they get better signals etc.. then some saying it slowed it down so im like torn between the two...lol any advice?

Jux

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
i guess because i have read a lot of good reviews on 1.8.6 and that it is reallyyy stable and havent really heard much about 2.1... do you recommend that i update my radio regardless from MR1 to MR2? even if i decide to stay with CM7? because i have read soo many mixed things about the updated radio... some people saying its really good and they get better signals etc.. then some saying it slowed it down so im like torn between the two...lol any advice?

I would recommend changing your radio. I haven't seen anyone complain that the MR2 radios were worse than the MR1, and most of the main issues with the Thunderbolt (rebooting) were resolved with the MR2 radio.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Flashing a new radio is soooooo much easier than flashing a ROM... I changed one radio for another in less than 5 minutes while was sitting in a parking lot just a couple days ago.... but I always keep one or two radio zip files sitting on my SD card's root folder just in case I need to change one quickly.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Flashing a new radio is soooooo much easier than flashing a ROM... I changed one radio for another in less than 5 minutes while was sitting in a parking lot just a couple days ago.... but I always keep one or two radio zip files sitting on my SD card's root folder just in case I need to change one quickly.

Me too. I have been running BAMF 1.8.6 and seem to always find myself flashing it after trying any new roms. It seems to be the most stable for me.

justo1013

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
ok so if i flash my radio to MR2 will i have to change my CM7 rom as well? since its for the MR1 radio.. and do i have to do a full wipe?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
ok so if i flash my radio to MR2 will i have to change my CM7 rom as well? since its for the MR1 radio.. and do i have to do a full wipe?

No wipe necessary when installing a new Radio... you just have to be sure you download the correct version of MR2.. there is a Froyo version and a Gingerbread version... make sure you get the correct version... AND make sure you check the MD5Sum code.

Jux

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

You will need the MR2 version of CM7 if you flash your radio. If you're going to CM7 1.3, it's best to do a wipe and then you can flash the ROM and the radio, in either order. Some people prefer to do the radio first, others do the ROM first.

Reactions: justo1013

justo1013

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
yea but does it pop up everytime you reboot ur phone then? and it wont let you load bootloader or something?

justo1013

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
No wipe necessary when installing a new Radio... you just have to be sure you download the correct version of MR2.. there is a Froyo version and a Gingerbread version... make sure you get the correct version... AND make sure you check the MD5Sum code.
i thought the official mr2 update works for both froyo and gb roms? [RADIO] Official OTA MR2 Radio 1.39.00.0627r [7/8/2011] - xda-developers if i download that wont it work for both, so then once i flash the radio i can switch back and forth between roms without having to flash the radio again?

justo1013

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
You will need the MR2 version of CM7 if you flash your radio. If you're going to CM7 1.3, it's best to do a wipe and then you can flash the ROM and the radio, in either order. Some people prefer to do the radio first, others do the ROM first.
ok, and when you wipe the phone, that's clearing the data and cache, and dalvik cache right? and do i do it just once or twice and should i not use ROM Manager? sorry, i am a noob at rooting and just taking extra precations.. thanks again for the responses

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
i thought the official mr2 update works for both froyo and gb roms? [RADIO] Official OTA MR2 Radio 1.39.00.0627r [7/8/2011] - xda-developers if i download that wont it work for both, so then once i flash the radio i can switch back and forth between roms without having to flash the radio again?

This radio will work with a Gingerbread ROM, but I'm fairly sure it will not work with Froyo... at least that's what I've been told, but I prefer Gingerbread ROMs and have not even attempted to load or try a Froyo ROM... it's too much fun trying out GB ROMs.

Currently I'm using Chingy's [Radio] [Leak] [7-17-11]2.xx.xxx.x Radio New Gingerbread RUU... I've used MR2, MR2.5, and the Official MR2 radio.

Have Fun.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
ok, and when you wipe the phone, that's clearing the data and cache, and dalvik cache right? and do i do it just once or twice and should i not use ROM Manager? sorry, i am a noob at rooting and just taking extra precations.. thanks again for the responses

I like using ROM Manager... some will say different... use the [Guide] How to Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Thunderbolt... it will show you how to first make a backup... then wipe the data, wipe the cache, and also wipe the Dalvik cache... each are separate processes... then it will show you how to install a ROM.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
To flash the radio, rename the zip to PG05IMG.zip if it's not already and place it on the root of your SD Card. Boot into Bootloader: power off your phone... Turn the phone back on by holding down the volume down rocker and the power button at the same time until the phone opens in bootloader. The zip should start running and updating the radio. Once done reboot the phone on and remove the PG05IMG.zip from your phone or move it off the root of the sd card in another folder. If its not moved after the installation it will constantly keep trying to update the radio if you ever need to boot into bootloader again to get to recovery.

Reactions: justo1013

AndroidGod

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Stay with CM7. HTC Sense, and yes that means versions 2.1 AND 3.0, drain battery quickly. What can it do that any other Android UI can't do? Nothing! CM7 brings amazing features battery life, and increased processor speed. And you're going to give that all up for what? A fancy clock widget and barely improved app drawer navigation? Trust me, staying is the right thing to do.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Stay with CM7. HTC Sense, and yes that means versions 2.1 AND 3.0, drain battery quickly. What can it do that any other Android UI can't do? Nothing! CM7 brings amazing features battery life, and increased processor speed. And you're going to give that all up for what? A fancy clock widget and barely improved app drawer navigation? Trust me, staying is the right thing to do.

Really??? Here Gingeritis 3D Beta VI with Chingy's (1.46.00.0704w) radio... with Wifi ON the entire time... and that is a Sense 2.1 ROM... battery test I performed starting this past Wednesday... 36 hrs:

2011-07-28_18-41-06.jpg

Doesn't look like a big battery drain to me!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae