Question on rooting.

gwtiff54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Just have a couple Questions I need help with.

1. If I root my Bolt will I be able to get gingerbread when its released?

2. If something later on messes up and I have to return it, can I go back to being unrooted?

3. What roms do you suggest i try out?

You guys are a big help. Thanks

JoseGutierrez

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
1. If you root you can get Gingerbread today!
2. You can unroot but it takes some knowledge which you will gain once you get more into ROMS and what not.
3. I'd try a basic ROM like a das BAMF ROM which are pretty solid and have Gingerbread as their base.
Try Cyanogenmod 7 if you want a more stock Android experience.

Jux

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Just have a couple Questions I need help with.

1. If I root my Bolt will I be able to get gingerbread when its released?

2. If something later on messes up and I have to return it, can I go back to being unrooted?

3. What roms do you suggest i try out?

You guys are a big help. Thanks

1. If you root your phone, you can get gingerbread today. There won't be a need for you to install the official update when it's pushed out (and in fact, once rooted, you should never accept Verizon's OTA updates).

2. Yes, you can unroot.

3. The BAMF ROMs are popular, as are the AOSP ROMs such as CM7. You can find more information in the ROM subforum, and reading through each ROM thread will allow you to see what people like and don't like about each ROM.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/

gwtiff54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I am ready to dive into it tonight. I had my droid x rooted with the auto root. If I'm right isnt there a auto root program?

Jux

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I am ready to dive into it tonight. I had my droid x rooted with the auto root. If I'm right isnt there a auto root program?

There is. It's a sticky in the ROM forum. It's pretty straight to the point, but read through the instructions a few times so you know how to proceed if you run into any errors - there are some common errors that people run into and then make them have to attempt it multiple times that could be fixed by simply reading through the directions and what advice has been given to other users.

OhioG

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted last night and I would recommend doing it manually. I think it is just as easy and in fact it kind of eases the nerves. Auto-root took time and I had to wait and naturally I was like uhhh did this thing brick.

Also I would recommend Mik-Mik Gingervitis VI if you like Sense 2.1/3.0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol