1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    411 Global Posts

Default Problem? win7 says disk errors on my tbolt?

when i plug my phone in as use it as mass storage i'm getting check disk that pops up saying there is an error on the card. i can do the scan and fix it but after a few weeks it pops back up, is there possibly something wrong with the card or is this typical? i flash roms maybe once every week or 2 could this be causing it?

*edit i'm running cm7 currently however the problem did occur with das bamf when i was using it as well

*edit 2 i noticed the error occurs when i have debugging enabled would that make sense as to why windows is hating on my sd card?
    Last edited by closure; 08-05-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Default Re: Problem? win7 says disk errors on my tbolt?

Quote Originally Posted by closure View Post
    when i plug my phone in as use it as mass storage i'm getting check disk that pops up saying there is an error on the card. i can do the scan and fix it but after a few weeks it pops back up, is there possibly something wrong with the card or is this typical? i flash roms maybe once every week or 2 could this be causing it?
    Typical: NO, but SD cards can go bad... I had it happen to me a few weeks ago. I did the full/long running check disk (check both options)... it takes a bit longer, but I have not had it happen again. I had taken mine out of my device and ran it on a USB adapter... I don't think that made a difference, but it's worth trying if you have an adapter.

*edit i'm running cm7 currently however the problem did occur with das bamf when i was using it as well
    ROM version doesn't matter.

*edit 2 i noticed the error occurs when i have debugging enabled would that make sense as to why windows is hating on my sd card?
    Should not matter either... I usually turn debugging off right after I flash a ROM.

If it persists I consider backing up your data to your PC's hard drive on a regular basis... and start looking around for a SD Card on Amazon or NewEgg.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"

No disrespect but this is actually rather regular for any portable storage device because you are usually moving data back and forth but I wouldn't allow Windows to scan the drive because usually it decides to delete personal images and files from card during scan.
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...

Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post
    No disrespect but this is actually rather regular for any portable storage device because you are usually moving data back and forth but I wouldn't allow Windows to scan the drive because usually it decides to delete personal images and files from card during scan.
    Interesting... a PC decides to delete personal images and files... I've never seen or had that problem.

But if have not reason to use your device as a portable drive, or to move images/files to or from your device then I guess you will never have to have your device connected to your PC... I guess you could live without connecting it as a drive to your PC, and only use your PC to charge your device.

But that still will not stop your SD card from getting bad spots or failing.
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    Interesting... a PC decides to delete personal images and files... I've never seen or had that problem.

But if have not reason to use your device as a portable drive, or to move images/files to or from your device then I guess you will never have to have your device connected to your PC... I guess you could live without connecting it as a drive to your PC, and only use your PC to charge your device.

But that still will not stop your SD card from getting bad spots or failing.
    I agree but the issue isn't because of a bad card or even issues with card, the problem is that Android stored info related to applications on the SD Card and when windows reads those files they consider them as corrupt and want to try to fix them but doesn't know the correct way to handle the data so the files are usually deleted or corrupted by the method used to fix them.
    Samsung S3
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    411 Global Posts

Thanks for the reply how do I just format my SD card there is a bunch of junk on there from trying out apps etc. I know how to format but do I need to be concerned with the system data on there or will android aautomatically reload it after format?

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogenmod 7 RC1.8

Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post
    I agree but the issue isn't because of a bad card or even issues with card, the problem is that Android stored info related to applications on the SD Card and when windows reads those files they consider them as corrupt and want to try to fix them but doesn't know the correct way to handle the data so the files are usually deleted or corrupted by the method used to fix them.
    I wouldn't really say it's that. I get this stupid error all the time with my usb thumb drives. It's just windows being stupid for the most part i believe. I can have a thumb drive, bare with no files and i'll plug it in and get this error. I think it may have something to do with not "properly" removing the hardware via the software windows has.

Thanks for the reply how do I just format my SD card there is a bunch of junk on there from trying out apps etc. I know how to format but do I need to be concerned with the system data on there or will android aautomatically reload it after format?
    You are the only one that said anything about formatting your SD card... I'm strictly talking about running a check disk... if your PC will not recognize your SD card right now you need to buy a USB adapter card... they are usually like $5 at most electronic stores like BestBuy. Pull your SD card out of your device and put it in your USB adapter card, plug it in to your PC... if it comes on it's own with the "Check Disk" then check both check-boxes and click start... if it does not and comes as a drive, then open Explorer, right click the drive, Properties, Tools tab, under Error-checking, click "Check now..." button, check both check-boxes... the process will take 5-10 minutes. After it's done then put the SD card back into your device... and your done.
    Flames Wallpaper
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    411 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    You are the only one that said anything about formatting your SD card... I'm strictly talking about running a check disk... if your PC will not recognize your SD card right now you need to buy a USB adapter card... they are usually like $5 at most electronic stores like BestBuy. Pull your SD card out of your device and put it in your USB adapter card, plug it in to your PC... if it comes on it's own with the "Check Disk" then check both check-boxes and click start... if it does not and comes as a drive, then open Explorer, right click the drive, Properties, Tools tab, under Error-checking, click "Check now..." button, check both check-boxes... the process will take 5-10 minutes. After it's done then put the SD card back into your device... and your done.
    you're not following me. the check disk worked just fine and it's operating fine i'm now asking do i need to be concerned with the sytem files stored on the sd card or can i just format it and android will put them back after the format? i'm trying to clean out junk and i don't know what i need to save on there regarding system files and such.

you're not following me. the check disk worked just fine and it's operating fine i'm now asking do i need to be concerned with the sytem files stored on the sd card or can i just format it and android will put them back after the format? i'm trying to clean out junk and i don't know what i need to save on there regarding system files and such.
    I'm understanding you... I'm just not seeing why you'd want or need to format your SD Card if you've done a check disk. It's not going to improve the performance of your SD card if you performed the Check Disk like I recommended.

If you format your SD card you will loose all your backup files you put on your SD card, including ROM backups, any apps you loaded to your SD card, any launcher setups you might have saved, and any media. But for the most part your ROM will create any backup file's it need to and rebuild any folders it needs to.
    Flames Wallpaper

Quote Originally Posted by stearic View Post
    I wouldn't really say it's that. I get this stupid error all the time with my usb thumb drives. It's just windows being stupid for the most part i believe. I can have a thumb drive, bare with no files and i'll plug it in and get this error. I think it may have something to do with not "properly" removing the hardware via the software windows has.
    I agree with this but the main reason I have seen this happen on Android devices is because of information stored on card, a number of Droid X users experiences missing information from sd card and it was identified this was caused due to users allowing Windows to check and try to fix errors on the devices cards and then have files deleted because they was labeled as corrupt and then I usually had to run a recovery app to get them back on my device.

I agree with Fatboy that formatting the card may not be needed but if you decide to due this I suggest you copy everything off the card to your PC and then wipe the card like usual and copy all files that you know are required for the apps on the device now and see how it works out.
    Last edited by wildman; 08-07-2011 at 06:50 PM.
    Samsung S3