Free wireless or wired tethering?

straightsixm3

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I've been thinking about rooting my TB because I heard that free tethering is possible. I know about PDANet, but I am worried about Verizon charging me extra for my wired tethering usage. If I root my phone, is there someway to tether my phone and definitively not incur additional charges? Thanks!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
No one knows for definitely that you will not be charged for mhs or mbbc no matter which app you use.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
There are no guarantees in life... and no way we can "definitively" know for sure about wireless tethering... and if Verizon see a huge amount of data use by you on your account it will more than likely set off some red flags... but it's available on a number of ROMs I've used and am using... Liquid Thunderbread, and CM7, which are both AOSP ROMs.

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Did you see the article about ATT switching unlimited users to tiered data if theyre caught tethering illegally? In the past, Ive tethered the crap out of my unlimited plan, but now that ATT is catching on and found a legit way to discourage it, Id be afraid Verizon will follow suit. Who knows though, maybe theyll give you a chance to cut it out before they switch you to tiered.

Another thing, you definitely dont want to tether unless you ARE on the unlimited plan. These apps and mods will allow you to tether for free but youve got to remember, IT WILL USE YOUR DATA! A lot of people dont understand that.