Having trouble flashing ROM

straightsixm3

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, I'm new to rooting Androids so please bear with me.

I used the Auto-root found in the stick in this forum to Root my TB. Then I backed up my phone with ROM Manager. I then mounted my SD card and put on the MR2 Radio (renamed correctly) and Das BAMF GingerREMIX v2.1 (both ZIPs). I turned the phone off and back on and went into Hboot and it flashed the MR2 Radio. I rebooted the phone and I had no service, but that's because I was on a Froyo ROM with the MR2 radio instead of MR1, correct? So I mounted the SD again and deleted that MR2 Radio so that it wouldn't load when I went into Hboot again. I go into Hboot again and choose recovery and wipe the data, cache partition, and Dalvik cache. I then went to install ZIP from SD card and then choose ZIP from SD card. When I went down and chose the ROM and confirmed, it said Finding update package... Opening update package... E:Can't open /sdcard/BAMF-GingerREMIX-v2.1.zip (bad) Installation aborted.

I tried to be as complete in my description as possible lol. Could it be that it can't open the ROM because I put it in the root of my SD card? Was I supposed to put it somewhere else? Maybe I just should un-root my phone since I can't even figure out how to flash a ROM :'(

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Did you double check the MD5Sum code of the download ROM file before you started this process??? You might have downloaded a corrupt zip file. You always need to check the MD5Sum code against the ROM you download before trying to flash it.

****EDIT: Check out a program called WinMD5Sum... it will allow you to check the MD5Sum code of the file.

Reactions: straightsixm3

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
You do not flash custom roms through Hboot, this is installed through ROM Manger the reason it reported the error is because the rom is not signed and isn't designed to be installed in Hboot.

Besides if the rom is installed already all you have to do is find the correct radio you want to use and flash it through Hboot and you will be up and going... I don't know the source for 2.1 radio but I am sure there is a few post about where to get them..

straightsixm3

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Did you double check the MD5Sum code of the download ROM file before you started this process??? You might have downloaded a corrupt zip file. You always need to check the MD5Sum code against the ROM you download before trying to flash it.

****EDIT: Check out a program called WinMD5Sum... it will allow you to check the MD5Sum code of the file.

I did not check the MD5Sum, but I did just now with the the program you recommended and it did indeed have the correct matching code. I restored my phone to the backup I made with ROM Manager. What do you suggest I do now?

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I did not check the MD5Sum, but I did just now with the the program you recommended and it did indeed have the correct matching code. I restored my phone to the backup I made with ROM Manager. What do you suggest I do now?

did you download the ROM with ROM manager or online & transfer it?
small chance that when you transferred it to your phone--you lost some of the file.
md5 may have matched on the computer, but then you transferred that file. keep "hash droid" on your phone to check MD5Sums on your phone.

ROM manager has pros & cons. whenever able, flash in Recovery--not directly through ROM Manager as many people have stated it's given them problems (myself included)

i would delete the ROM you want to flash, then redownload it online, transfer it to the phone, use Hash Droid to check the MD5 sum, reboot into recovery, wipe cache, wipe dalvik, factory wipe the phone (wipe all 3 at least 2 or 3 times), then apply zip, choose zip (just like you did) and see if that works.

the file may have been corrupted in the transfer from computer to phone the first time.

(you can access Recovery via ROM Manager, or holding Power & Volume Down when powering up the phone)

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
You do not flash custom roms through Hboot, this is installed through ROM Manger the reason it reported the error is because the rom is not signed and isn't designed to be installed in Hboot.

Besides if the rom is installed already all you have to do is find the correct radio you want to use and flash it through Hboot and you will be up and going... I don't know the source for 2.1 radio but I am sure there is a few post about where to get them..

You can get into Recovery from Hboot if Recovery has been flashed on your device from ROM Manager.

straightsixm3

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
did you download the ROM with ROM manager or online & transfer it?
small chance that when you transferred it to your phone--you lost some of the file.
md5 may have matched on the computer, but then you transferred that file. keep "hash droid" on your phone to check MD5Sums on your phone.

ROM manager has pros & cons. whenever able, flash in Recovery--not directly through ROM Manager as many people have stated it's given them problems (myself included)

i would delete the ROM you want to flash, then redownload it online, transfer it to the phone, use Hash Droid to check the MD5 sum, reboot into recovery, wipe cache, wipe dalvik, factory wipe the phone (wipe all 3 at least 2 or 3 times), then apply zip, choose zip (just like you did) and see if that works.

the file may have been corrupted in the transfer from computer to phone the first time.

(you can access Recovery via ROM Manager, or holding Power & Volume Down when powering up the phone)

I downloaded the ROM online and transferred it. I would download Hash Droid but my phone has no service so I'm unable to at the moment. I'll try deleting the ROM and redownloading it, but I don't have Hash Droid, so I'll have to skip that.

Try to flash it again... go into Recovery from ROM Manager... wipe data, cache, and Dalvik cache again... then load the Zip file.

Ok, well I restored the phone, went to the ROM Manager app and loaded the Zip from there and I guess it worked? The only problem was that I had still had no service. I'm restoring the phone now again and I'll go into Recovery through the ROM Manager and wipe all 3 and try to load the Zip again.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
No service might be your Radio... you can easily flash the radio again... just be sure you are download the Gingerbread Radio, and not a Froyo radio.

I'm on my way home... but will check back in when I get home.

straightsixm3

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
No service might be your Radio... you can easily flash the radio again... just be sure you are download the Gingerbread Radio, and not a Froyo radio.

I'm on my way home... but will check back in when I get home.

I tried clearing everything again and loading the ROM again and still no luck. :(

I'll try flashing the radio again, restoring the phone, then using ROM Manager to load the ROM again.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
if needed, turn on wifi, access HashDroid or any other service you need in the mean time (ie downloading the ROM or whatever)

or, AstroFileManager can also check the MD5Sum via Properties -----if you already have that on your phone

so--reading your recent posts--
at one point it sounds like you were able to load the Gingeritis ROM successfully--but then didn't get any service?
in which case, like FatBoy mentioned, it's your radio

i used the MR2 on that radio.
if you check the XDA thread (obligatory radio thread) you can see the MD5Sum of each radio & some posts will actually include the baseband version so you can tell what radio you're using/loaded on your phone right now)---home screen>menu>settings>about phone>software information>More>baseband version

are you actually in Gingeritis right now, but unable to get service? before you flash/do anything--check your Baseband version. see if it's the radio you just loaded or something else. if it's NOT the MR2 or MR2.5, or even Chingy's leaked Newer radio, then that's your problem.

in the odd event--are you sure the process completed? are you S-Off?
reboot into HBoot, at the top of the screen--do you see "S-OFF" or "S-ON". if you're still Security-On, you won't be able to flash a ROM.

(before booting into HBoot, make sure you don't have any PG05IMG.ZIP file on the root of your card otherwise it'll quickly begin the update and won't allow you to see if you're S-ON/S-OFF)

Last edited:

straightsixm3

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
if needed, turn on wifi, access HashDroid or any other service you need in the mean time (ie downloading the ROM or whatever)

or, AstroFileManager can also check the MD5Sum via Properties -----if you already have that on your phone

To download the ROM with ROM Manager I need the paid version though, correct?

And I have Astro but when I'm browsing the folders on my phone, they are completely different than what shows up when I mount my SD card and browse through the files on my computer.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
To download the ROM with ROM Manager I need the paid version though, correct?

And I have Astro but when I'm browsing the folders on my phone, they are completely different than what shows up when I mount my SD card and browse through the files on my computer.

you could navigate to the Thread where the ROM is stored & download it straight to the phone

once completed, open Astro--navigate to your 'downloads' folder, long press on the ROM file & click properties, then check the MD5Sum.
(i think the MD5 is located in Properties)

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I tried clearing everything again and loading the ROM again and still no luck. :(

I'll try flashing the radio again, restoring the phone, then using ROM Manager to load the ROM again.

First, I've never used ROM Manager to download a ROM before.

What do you mean by restoring the phone??? Flash the Radio, Flash the ROM... try out the device... the ONLY data I restore is some app specific data like Angry Birds Rio... DO NOT restore any system data.

straightsixm3

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
First, I've never used ROM Manager to download a ROM before.

What do you mean by restoring the phone??? Flash the Radio, Flash the ROM... try out the device... the ONLY data I restore is some app specific data like Angry Birds Rio... DO NOT restore any system data.

I restored the phone to the backup made by ROM Manager so that I could access the ROM Manager app when I reboot the phone and go to the recovery menu so I can start wiping the cache and flash the new ROM. Now that I think about that, though, it seems redundant since I can access that recovery menu from Hboot.

What I just did now in the recovery menu was wipe all the data and format the system from mounts and stores (per this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/97307-guide-upgrade-mr2-compatible-rom-radio-mr1-after-root.html) twice and then tried flashing the ROM again. No luck, unfortunately.

straightsixm3

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
STOP!!!!

Follow this thread... it's what I'd call the Bible of Thunderbolt ROMs... http://forums.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/77350-guide-how-backup-restore-install-roms-thunderbolt.html... after you done Post #1, if you've already done this it does not have to done again.... follow the instruction on Post #2 to install a ROM.

That's actually the other guide I had open and had been using. It was the one that taught me how to backup my phone and what I was talking about when I said I was using the ROM Manager app to go into the recovery menu to start wiping the cache and flashing the new ROM.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon