Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    straightsixm3's Avatar

    Posts
    33 Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default Having trouble flashing ROM

    Hey all, I'm new to rooting Androids so please bear with me.

    I used the Auto-root found in the stick in this forum to Root my TB. Then I backed up my phone with ROM Manager. I then mounted my SD card and put on the MR2 Radio (renamed correctly) and Das BAMF GingerREMIX v2.1 (both ZIPs). I turned the phone off and back on and went into Hboot and it flashed the MR2 Radio. I rebooted the phone and I had no service, but that's because I was on a Froyo ROM with the MR2 radio instead of MR1, correct? So I mounted the SD again and deleted that MR2 Radio so that it wouldn't load when I went into Hboot again. I go into Hboot again and choose recovery and wipe the data, cache partition, and Dalvik cache. I then went to install ZIP from SD card and then choose ZIP from SD card. When I went down and chose the ROM and confirmed, it said Finding update package... Opening update package... E:Can't open /sdcard/BAMF-GingerREMIX-v2.1.zip (bad) Installation aborted.

    I tried to be as complete in my description as possible lol. Could it be that it can't open the ROM because I put it in the root of my SD card? Was I supposed to put it somewhere else? Maybe I just should un-root my phone since I can't even figure out how to flash a ROM
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Having trouble flashing ROM

    Did you double check the MD5Sum code of the download ROM file before you started this process??? You might have downloaded a corrupt zip file. You always need to check the MD5Sum code against the ROM you download before trying to flash it.

    ****EDIT: Check out a program called WinMD5Sum... it will allow you to check the MD5Sum code of the file.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Having trouble flashing ROM

    You do not flash custom roms through Hboot, this is installed through ROM Manger the reason it reported the error is because the rom is not signed and isn't designed to be installed in Hboot.

    Besides if the rom is installed already all you have to do is find the correct radio you want to use and flash it through Hboot and you will be up and going... I don't know the source for 2.1 radio but I am sure there is a few post about where to get them..
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    straightsixm3's Avatar

    Posts
    33 Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default Re: Having trouble flashing ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    Did you double check the MD5Sum code of the download ROM file before you started this process??? You might have downloaded a corrupt zip file. You always need to check the MD5Sum code against the ROM you download before trying to flash it.

    ****EDIT: Check out a program called WinMD5Sum... it will allow you to check the MD5Sum code of the file.
    I did not check the MD5Sum, but I did just now with the the program you recommended and it did indeed have the correct matching code. I restored my phone to the backup I made with ROM Manager. What do you suggest I do now?
  5. #5  
    project.in.process's Avatar

    Posts
    1,223 Posts
    ROM
    Bamf Paradigm

    Default Re: Having trouble flashing ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by straightsixm3 View Post
    I did not check the MD5Sum, but I did just now with the the program you recommended and it did indeed have the correct matching code. I restored my phone to the backup I made with ROM Manager. What do you suggest I do now?
    did you download the ROM with ROM manager or online & transfer it?
    small chance that when you transferred it to your phone--you lost some of the file.
    md5 may have matched on the computer, but then you transferred that file. keep "hash droid" on your phone to check MD5Sums on your phone.

    ROM manager has pros & cons. whenever able, flash in Recovery--not directly through ROM Manager as many people have stated it's given them problems (myself included)

    i would delete the ROM you want to flash, then redownload it online, transfer it to the phone, use Hash Droid to check the MD5 sum, reboot into recovery, wipe cache, wipe dalvik, factory wipe the phone (wipe all 3 at least 2 or 3 times), then apply zip, choose zip (just like you did) and see if that works.

    the file may have been corrupted in the transfer from computer to phone the first time.

    (you can access Recovery via ROM Manager, or holding Power & Volume Down when powering up the phone)
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Having trouble flashing ROM

    Try to flash it again... go into Recovery from ROM Manager... wipe data, cache, and Dalvik cache again... then load the Zip file.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
    Thanked by:
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Having trouble flashing ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post
    You do not flash custom roms through Hboot, this is installed through ROM Manger the reason it reported the error is because the rom is not signed and isn't designed to be installed in Hboot.

    Besides if the rom is installed already all you have to do is find the correct radio you want to use and flash it through Hboot and you will be up and going... I don't know the source for 2.1 radio but I am sure there is a few post about where to get them..
    You can get into Recovery from Hboot if Recovery has been flashed on your device from ROM Manager.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
    Thanked by:
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Having trouble flashing ROM

    And just to be sure... you download the ROM from RootzWiki or Das BAMF's website, correct?



    And the MD5 SUM: 536164b01c138880757a81ac0d14c2a6 for BAMF GingerRemix v2.1
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    straightsixm3's Avatar

    Posts
    33 Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default Re: Having trouble flashing ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by project.in.process View Post
    did you download the ROM with ROM manager or online & transfer it?
    small chance that when you transferred it to your phone--you lost some of the file.
    md5 may have matched on the computer, but then you transferred that file. keep "hash droid" on your phone to check MD5Sums on your phone.

    ROM manager has pros & cons. whenever able, flash in Recovery--not directly through ROM Manager as many people have stated it's given them problems (myself included)

    i would delete the ROM you want to flash, then redownload it online, transfer it to the phone, use Hash Droid to check the MD5 sum, reboot into recovery, wipe cache, wipe dalvik, factory wipe the phone (wipe all 3 at least 2 or 3 times), then apply zip, choose zip (just like you did) and see if that works.

    the file may have been corrupted in the transfer from computer to phone the first time.

    (you can access Recovery via ROM Manager, or holding Power & Volume Down when powering up the phone)
    I downloaded the ROM online and transferred it. I would download Hash Droid but my phone has no service so I'm unable to at the moment. I'll try deleting the ROM and redownloading it, but I don't have Hash Droid, so I'll have to skip that.

    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    Try to flash it again... go into Recovery from ROM Manager... wipe data, cache, and Dalvik cache again... then load the Zip file.
    Ok, well I restored the phone, went to the ROM Manager app and loaded the Zip from there and I guess it worked? The only problem was that I had still had no service. I'm restoring the phone now again and I'll go into Recovery through the ROM Manager and wipe all 3 and try to load the Zip again.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    straightsixm3's Avatar

    Posts
    33 Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default Re: Having trouble flashing ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    And just to be sure... you download the ROM from RootzWiki or Das BAMF's website, correct?



    And the MD5 SUM: 536164b01c138880757a81ac0d14c2a6 for BAMF GingerRemix v2.1
    Yep, that's where I downloaded it from. Thanks again for your help fatboy and project.in.process
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Having trouble flashing ROM

    No service might be your Radio... you can easily flash the radio again... just be sure you are download the Gingerbread Radio, and not a Froyo radio.

    I'm on my way home... but will check back in when I get home.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
    Thanked by:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    straightsixm3's Avatar

    Posts
    33 Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default Re: Having trouble flashing ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    No service might be your Radio... you can easily flash the radio again... just be sure you are download the Gingerbread Radio, and not a Froyo radio.

    I'm on my way home... but will check back in when I get home.
    I tried clearing everything again and loading the ROM again and still no luck.

    I'll try flashing the radio again, restoring the phone, then using ROM Manager to load the ROM again.
  13. #13  
    project.in.process's Avatar

    Posts
    1,223 Posts
    ROM
    Bamf Paradigm

    Default Re: Having trouble flashing ROM

    if needed, turn on wifi, access HashDroid or any other service you need in the mean time (ie downloading the ROM or whatever)

    or, AstroFileManager can also check the MD5Sum via Properties -----if you already have that on your phone


    so--reading your recent posts--
    at one point it sounds like you were able to load the Gingeritis ROM successfully--but then didn't get any service?
    in which case, like FatBoy mentioned, it's your radio

    i used the MR2 on that radio.
    if you check the XDA thread (obligatory radio thread) you can see the MD5Sum of each radio & some posts will actually include the baseband version so you can tell what radio you're using/loaded on your phone right now)---home screen>menu>settings>about phone>software information>More>baseband version

    are you actually in Gingeritis right now, but unable to get service? before you flash/do anything--check your Baseband version. see if it's the radio you just loaded or something else. if it's NOT the MR2 or MR2.5, or even Chingy's leaked Newer radio, then that's your problem.


    in the odd event--are you sure the process completed? are you S-Off?
    reboot into HBoot, at the top of the screen--do you see "S-OFF" or "S-ON". if you're still Security-On, you won't be able to flash a ROM.

    (before booting into HBoot, make sure you don't have any PG05IMG.ZIP file on the root of your card otherwise it'll quickly begin the update and won't allow you to see if you're S-ON/S-OFF)
    Last edited by project.in.process; 08-08-2011 at 03:28 PM.
    Thanked by:
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    straightsixm3's Avatar

    Posts
    33 Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default Re: Having trouble flashing ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by project.in.process View Post
    if needed, turn on wifi, access HashDroid or any other service you need in the mean time (ie downloading the ROM or whatever)

    or, AstroFileManager can also check the MD5Sum via Properties -----if you already have that on your phone
    To download the ROM with ROM Manager I need the paid version though, correct?

    And I have Astro but when I'm browsing the folders on my phone, they are completely different than what shows up when I mount my SD card and browse through the files on my computer.
  15. #15  
    project.in.process's Avatar

    Posts
    1,223 Posts
    ROM
    Bamf Paradigm

    Default Re: Having trouble flashing ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by straightsixm3 View Post
    To download the ROM with ROM Manager I need the paid version though, correct?

    And I have Astro but when I'm browsing the folders on my phone, they are completely different than what shows up when I mount my SD card and browse through the files on my computer.
    you could navigate to the Thread where the ROM is stored & download it straight to the phone

    once completed, open Astro--navigate to your 'downloads' folder, long press on the ROM file & click properties, then check the MD5Sum.
    (i think the MD5 is located in Properties)
    Thanked by:
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Having trouble flashing ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by straightsixm3 View Post
    I tried clearing everything again and loading the ROM again and still no luck.

    I'll try flashing the radio again, restoring the phone, then using ROM Manager to load the ROM again.
    First, I've never used ROM Manager to download a ROM before.

    What do you mean by restoring the phone??? Flash the Radio, Flash the ROM... try out the device... the ONLY data I restore is some app specific data like Angry Birds Rio... DO NOT restore any system data.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
    Thanked by:
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Having trouble flashing ROM

    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
    Thanked by:
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    straightsixm3's Avatar

    Posts
    33 Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default Re: Having trouble flashing ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    First, I've never used ROM Manager to download a ROM before.

    What do you mean by restoring the phone??? Flash the Radio, Flash the ROM... try out the device... the ONLY data I restore is some app specific data like Angry Birds Rio... DO NOT restore any system data.
    I restored the phone to the backup made by ROM Manager so that I could access the ROM Manager app when I reboot the phone and go to the recovery menu so I can start wiping the cache and flash the new ROM. Now that I think about that, though, it seems redundant since I can access that recovery menu from Hboot.

    What I just did now in the recovery menu was wipe all the data and format the system from mounts and stores (per this guide: [Guide] Upgrade to MR2+ Compatible Rom+Radio From MR1 after Root) twice and then tried flashing the ROM again. No luck, unfortunately.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Having trouble flashing ROM

    STOP!!!!

    Follow this thread... it's what I'd call the Bible of Thunderbolt ROMs... [Guide] How to Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Thunderbolt... after you done Post #1, if you've already done this it does not have to done again.... follow the instruction on Post #2 to install a ROM.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
    Thanked by:
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    straightsixm3's Avatar

    Posts
    33 Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default Re: Having trouble flashing ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    STOP!!!!

    Follow this thread... it's what I'd call the Bible of Thunderbolt ROMs... [Guide] How to Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Thunderbolt... after you done Post #1, if you've already done this it does not have to done again.... follow the instruction on Post #2 to install a ROM.
    That's actually the other guide I had open and had been using. It was the one that taught me how to backup my phone and what I was talking about when I said I was using the ROM Manager app to go into the recovery menu to start wiping the cache and flashing the new ROM.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Having trouble flashing ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by straightsixm3 View Post
    That's actually the other guide I had open and had been using. It was the one that taught me how to backup my phone and what I was talking about when I said I was using the ROM Manager app to go into the recovery menu to start wiping the cache and flashing the new ROM.
    Then please follow that to flash the ROM... then the Radio.

    To flash the radio, rename the zip to PG05IMG.zip if it's not already and place it on the root of your SD Card. Boot into Bootloader: power off your phone... Turn the phone back on by holding down the volume down rocker and the power button at the same time until the phone opens in bootloader. The zip should start running and updating the radio. Once done reboot the phone on and remove the PG05IMG.zip from your phone or move it off the root of the sd card in another folder. If its not moved after the installation it will constantly keep trying to update the radio if you ever need to boot into bootloader again to get to recovery.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
    Thanked by:
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  
    straightsixm3's Avatar

    Posts
    33 Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default Re: Having trouble flashing ROM

    I just downloaded BAMF from here: [7.14.11][ROM] Das BAMF Sense 3.0 RC4.9, went into the recovery menu and cleared everything again and tried flashing the ROM and it's working!! It's finally flashing the new ROM! Thank GOD! Thank you sooo much for your fatboy and project.in.process!!
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Having trouble flashing ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by straightsixm3 View Post
    I just downloaded BAMF from here: [7.14.11][ROM] Das BAMF Sense 3.0 RC4.9, went into the recovery menu and cleared everything again and tried flashing the ROM and it's working!! It's finally flashing the new ROM! Thank GOD! Thank you sooo much for your fatboy and project.in.process!!
    Glad you are up and running... make a backup when you are comfortable... backup does not backup the Radio... so it's advisable to keep a copy of the radio on your SD card, just in case you have to reload the Radio, just keep the name other than the PG05IMG.zip... I like MR2.PG05IMG.zip, or something like that.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
    Thanked by:
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  
    straightsixm3's Avatar

    Posts
    33 Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default Re: Having trouble flashing ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    Glad you are up and running... make a backup when you are comfortable... backup does not backup the Radio... so it's advisable to keep a copy of the radio on your SD card, just in case you have to reload the Radio, just keep the name other than the PG05IMG.zip... I like MR2.PG05IMG.zip, or something like that.
    Is there anyway to restore the wallpaper and locations of the apps that I previously had before flashing? Or do I have to put them back in their places manually?
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Having trouble flashing ROM

    What apps??? And What are you using for Backup... if you are talking about your backup of your original ROM the answer is NO, NO, NO.

    I use MyBackup Root... I can backup some data from some apps... like I said I backup Angry Birds Rio and just a couple other apps.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B