Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Jux

ROM
    CM7/MIUI/whatever I fancy

Default Verizon catching on to tethering apps?

Heads up to fellow TB users ... anyone noticing anything like this yet?

Verizon today began blocking customers from tethering their data through jailbroken apps, following in AT&Ts footsteps as the company fights to stay on top of the U.S. wireless market.

The Basking Ridge, N.J.-based carrier now requires users have a hotspot-capable data plan if they want to tether data from their smartphones to other devices. Users who try to tether through jailbreak apps like MyWi will be redirected to a Verizon webpage where they can upgrade to a capable plan for an additional $20 a month.
    I made the Picard Video

Global Posts
    11,761 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

It was just a matter of time. If you have unlimited data, you can add unlimited hotspot for 30 bucks a month.

Sent using Tapatalk

Default Re: Verizon catching on to tethering apps?

I just tested it... Still working on mine, tethered my galaxy tab to it.

Kinda stinks for me if this is the case. I rarely used the tether and definitely don't abuse it, but simply don't have enough of a need to justify paying $30/month. I'm definitely not the type of person they're trying to stop, but I do like having a wifi tether available, even if I rarely need to actually use it...
    Thanked by:
    blizz419 and streetstrip01 like this.

From what I had read in an older post, if you only plan to use unlimited hotspot for a small amount of time and then cancel for the rest of the month, they won't charge the full rate. They just charge you for the time you would use. You may want to look into it further.

Seen this coming and I cant wait to see the outcome to all that has bragged about how much data they go through using apps like this and used the Unlimited Data excuses as a defense.... First the removed Unlimited Data plans and went to tears and then this.... Do you still think Verizon isn't noticing?

Other are paying for users not seeing the light.

I have signed for the unlimited Hotspot app so I am good but something tells me this option wont be offered to heavy users of the illegal method..
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...

If a rooted phone has WirelessTether or Barnacle installed, how would VZW know if they are tethering?

Quote Originally Posted by keving75 View Post
    If a rooted phone has WirelessTether or Barnacle installed, how would VZW know if they are tethering?
    I think the towers can determine the type of connection based on # of simultaneous hits coming from the device. I believe a PC sends a lot more hits in the same amount of time as compared to a Phone. I had read this somewhere but cant find the link right now.

But I completely agree with wildman. A few people will ruin it for all of us. Why cant people just do stuff with out abusing the network? On one of these forums a guy was claiming to have consumed 27 GB by the middle of his billing cycle.... 27 GB?!!?!?!?!

and if you are going to use 27 GB, then get a tethering plan for heavens sake. Pay the provider.... its only fair.

ROM
    Bugless Beast

I'm typing this from my laptop which is currently tethered to my D1 with WirelessTether. So there must be more to the story.

Brandon

I am hoping more developers will start leaving the stock hotspot app on the devices for the users that choose to pay and use it without bypassing network security.... I have only seen 2 or 3 roms that doesn't remove this app and the bad part is that due to changes to rom the stock app just cant be just reinstalled to use it...

I love and appreciate the amount of work that the developers has done for the forum but in the pass they allowed you the option to restore stock apps if needed and they would still work, now this isnt a normal practice any more..

Quote Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
    I'm typing this from my laptop which is currently tethered to my D1 with WirelessTether. So there must be more to the story.

Brandon
    This is probably just another rumor but with the level of changes Verizon had been doing lately including blocking tethering apps from being shown on the Market... This situation will be fact sooner than later, other carriers has already implement methods to stop and charge customers for doing this, just dont get upset when you get a surprise bill..

Thank that with grain of salt, but this is something to think about.
    Last edited by wildman; 08-09-2011 at 12:53 AM.
    Samsung S3

Well, I like Verizon's idea of a page to show they caught you. No wondering and waiting for a notice. I'm sure that when it happens, if it happens, that some developers will accept verizons gauntlet that has been thrown down and will offer us an alternative.

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Root

Default VERIZON cracks down on tethering

According to slashdot verizon will start cracking down on jailbreak tethering. I thought jailbreak was a term used for iphones so will this apply to all users?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    Jux

ROM
    CM7/MIUI/whatever I fancy

Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post

I have signed for the unlimited Hotspot app so I am good but something tells me this option wont be offered to heavy users of the illegal method..
    Money is money, they'll gladly take the monthly fee from anyone willing to pay it.
    I made the Picard Video

ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.11 3++

noted on the slashdot link:

Verizon has poisoned EVERY phone with Gingerbread - they have modified the OS so that activating any hotspot app, even if the phone is rooted, to trigger the NAI change and show the phrase "Tethering or Hotspot Active." The only SAFE way to tether on a Verizon phone is to run Froyo, then use free-wifi-tether's 3.x version. Alternatively, install CyanogenMod and then you can tether.

I only tether my android tabletn using wifi tether. How would they know?

ROM
    Synergy

These are just scare tactics IMHO. If you're not abusing the privilege for wireless tether, than I don't think you'll have much to worry about. Like others have said, I'm not paying $30 more per month for something I don't use that often.
    streetstrip01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scadole View Post
    I wondered the same thing, since that's what I mainly would use tethering for. If the following is true, than it wouldn't really matter though...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Witles View Post

Verizon has poisoned EVERY phone with Gingerbread - they have modified the OS so that activating any hotspot app, even if the phone is rooted, to trigger the NAI change and show the phrase "Tethering or Hotspot Active." The only SAFE way to tether on a Verizon phone is to run Froyo, then use free-wifi-tether's 3.x version. Alternatively, install CyanogenMod and then you can tether.
    I'm guessing just turning on the tether would tag all data sent from the phone, so it wouldn't really matter what type of device you're using (even the phone itself), they could potentially know that you have a tether connection turned on.

Quote Originally Posted by dms76 View Post

According to slashdot verizon will start cracking down on jailbreak tethering. I thought jailbreak was a term used for iphones so will this apply to all users?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Funny, I was gonna say the same thing. If we're talking about Android phones, they should really use the term "Root Apps" vs. "Jailbreak Apps".

In this case, I'm pretty sure this is a case of the author using the term "jailbreak" indiscriminately, rather than suggesting it applies to iPhones and not Androids...at least that's how I read it.

If you have noticed, a number of user and developers have classified rooting and jailbreak in the same group, I understand the term is incorrect but people keep placing iPhone and Android in same group..

Quote Originally Posted by scadole View Post
    Depending on the network connection method used by mobile device but it is possible to identify that a tether option is being used because the device is allowing access to other devices to the web similar to a home network router which means that multiple IP address has to be generated through one gateway.

Plus I am pretty sure that since the tethering feature creates a static type address to allow the device to handle larger data packets compared to a standard connection to allow multiple devices to have a less restricted bandwidth transmissions this can be identified by network.

Computers can be programed to monitor traffic to the smallest kb and you don't think they can track traffic to the same connection when each device has to be identified to the network. Try hooking up 2 computers to a router and have service provider check the number of IP connections and see if they can identify the exact number of pc connected to the network at that time.. And you would be surprised.

Just because Verizon hasn't attacked the customers directly like other carriers does not mean they don't know.
    Last edited by wildman; 08-09-2011 at 01:14 PM.
    Samsung S3

news to me, would like to know more. i use garden tether

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Witles View Post

ROM
    N/A

So, um, not to question the validity of the person who wrote that news article, but Verizon's stance on "illegal" tethering (its not really illegal since its not against the law, just Verizon's ToS) has been the same for a while. Hell, the Thunderbolt had a fun hidden background app called "Tethering Guard" since it launched! It was made visible after MR1, but you still cannot access it.

Not to mention, Verizon's stance also has not changed on how they react to it... as AT&T will automatically sign you up for a tethering package, Verizon just asks you to sign up.

I think whomever wrote this was trying to use a busted-*** tethering app and it was not working. I have tested multiple tethering apps without a tethering plan recently with no issues, but I finally just added the $30 MHS feature since its unlimited and more convenient.
    Former Verizon Wireless Technical Consultant

Okay so... as one of the 5% of verizon customers who use their phone as their primary internet connection and does things such as work online with it and plays mmo's with it... I had a droid 1 for a long time and ran buggless beast with the wifi tethering ability the entire time. When i upgraded to the TB i flat out told them i would not do so unless they could grandfather in my unlimited data plan and i still got free wifi tethering. I also told them flat out i would be rooting and using a free wifi tether app, they encouraged me to do so. My free wifi tether apps work fine, also i noticed right away the direct tether ability built into the TB does not work. PDANet how ever does and even has the ability to hide your data usage. Its also back on the android market for download straight from the phone as apposed to the temporary computer install version that was being used when PDANet was banned from the market. Verizon told me that only 5% of its customers use anywhere close to 2gigs of data a month and that they are not concerned with that 5% of "super" users who have unlimited plans and use free wifi tethering. So i find it highly unlikely that they will do anything major to stop any of it. Of course they will take a few steps to prevent the average joe from figuring it out and of course they will do what they can to suck every penny out of the average joe. In other words its not worth their money to try to stop those who would use it because they are few and far between. Oh i should mention i use over 2gigs of data transfer PER DAY! and they have never said a word to me about it.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,515 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Really u don't thank so. U can run but u can't hide from vzw they can and will know that your Tethering not matter what app u use. This has been coming down the pipe all summer and every one just blew it off like yea come on. It's here and data at the moment is gold and VZW wants you to pay your share.

I will believe it when and IF it actually happens... but just having some Blog report this is happening is not going to effect me one bit. I don't use my wireless hotspot, unless it was an emergency... and even if I did I still more than likely would not be over 1G for the entire month.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"

This just shows how users see everything, if it doesn't come knocking on their door now its nothing to concern yourself with but if Verizon starts charging everyone without saying anything these same users will start yelling rape..
    Samsung S3

With comcast offering $10 internet packages to the poor and wifi so accessible all over these days. They would only screw themselves to attempt to charge anymore then they are or limit us anymore then they have. As i told them when i got the TB... if i were to lose my wifi and unlimited data i just wouldn't deal with verizon at all and would focus my time and money on other mobile internet services. They did not like the sound of that. I have it in writing that i will always have unlimited data and free tethering from VZW. BTW, other company's have made attempts at securing services before and it only causes the hackers to hack even more sooo... really this is a losing battle for vzw and all cell providers for that mater. They can chase all they want... were not running or hiding... Also they may be able to figure out what you have been using but what it takes to do that is ridiculous and they are not going to pay their techs for the man hours to do so. The towers receive data packets that are embedded that in order to get such specific user information as what app you are using would require dissection of the data packets which would take days and thats after they went through the trouble of untangling your transmissions from everyone else. Sure they could build software and push updates that monitor for certain apps but its not like a few hours later the apps wont be modified to no longer register with the code written to pick them up.

Like i said... VZW told me directly they are not really worried about the 5% of users who have unlimited plans and use more then 2gigs a month. So i'll believe this whole crackdown nonsense when i see it. Either way it wont effect me... Also i should mention that the direct cable tether does not cost anything as it is and it would appear the hoopla is purely over the wifi hot spotting. Well heres a means of getting around it, granted not efficient for most but would be easy for me. Plug the phone in with the cable start the direct cable tether then setup a wifi card or router on the computer to push the signal through and viola you have a wifi hot spot utilizing your phone network.

And even though im not paying for it im crying rape for the rest of you on that 30 a month for wifi hot spotting. thats just bogus bs. 100 or so for most of our phone plans, 30 for unlimited data if your one of the lucky g-fathered in types and 30 more for wifi tethering. Just think about it... thats 160 bux. If they keep it up no one will use those features and everyone will move to other methods of mobile net that are already much cheaper on a monthly basis. Its a self-destructive path to walk and VZW knows it which is why im sure they will only take it so far. So many have said they already dont use the wifi hot spotting or more then x-amount of data in a month, why are they going to spend lots of time and money on such a small issue?

Im with fatboy. Ill believe it when i see it. When i see it ill simply fix it
    Alma and justo1013 like this.

Global Posts
    518 Global Posts

When I get on the net, it is important, but it is also very limited in terms of data.

Like, I'll need to use the computer to email a Word document or download one....edit it... and send it off.

So we're talking maybe 50 to 100 megabytes a month if I'm busy!

I'd be terrifically pleased if Verizon would charge $5 extra per month for that privilege. Really, though, they should leave people like me alone and go after those leeches who pull over 1 gig in a month without paying.

Thirty bucks is out of hand for light users like me.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast