Rooted MR2?

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I know if you auto root it takes you down to MR1. I basically want the latest official Verizon release but rooted.

I haven't had any issues with MR2,so I really don't want a new ROM yet, I would just love to get rid of some bloat from it.

So what's the best way to get MR2 and be rooted?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I know if you auto root it takes you down to MR1. I basically want the latest official Verizon release but rooted.

I haven't had any issues with MR2,so I really don't want a new ROM yet, I would just love to get rid of some bloat from it.

So what's the best way to get MR2 and be rooted?

Like everyone else... look at the sticky threads at the top of this forum and you will see your answer:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/97307-guide-upgrade-mr2-compatible-rom-radio-mr1-after-root.html

Reactions: ssethv and tfrank10

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Once you update your radio if you want just a stock rom download this one

[ROM] Official 1.70.605.0 MR2 OTA Deodexed Rooted Busybox Debloated [Link Added]

It is debloated. There is a non-debloat version as well cant find the link off hand. For me all debloated versions of roms cause reboots. The non-debloated version is the only stable version of anything ive found.

Yeah I found that one last night, but I am kind of looking for a non-deloated version so I can decide what bloatware I get rid of and keep what I actually use if that makes sense.

Grimsin

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Reactions: coolbreeze

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Yea, im looking for the link to the none debloat version right now. The debloats break voicemail imo. I think the debloat may be the cause of the rebooting everyone seems to experience with all the roms too.

here it is

[ROM] Official 1.70.605.0 MR2 OTA Deodexed Rooted Busybox Mirrors Added :D - xda-developers

here is the list that was on to begin with has some dif roms then found on this site.

The Official Thunderbolt ROMs & Kernels Listing v2.5 (Updated 8/4 8:30 PM CST) - xda-developers

Try a good Gingerbread ROM... I have not seen ONE that has any Voicemail issue, or ANY rebooting issue... as far as I can tell with my months of using strictly Gingerbread ROMs I have only seen minor issues with all of the ROMs I've been playing with... and I usually change ROMs at least once a week.

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Try a good Gingerbread ROM... I have not seen ONE that has any Voicemail issue, or ANY rebooting issue... as far as I can tell with my months of using strictly Gingerbread ROMs I have only seen minor issues with all of the ROMs I've been playing with... and I usually change ROMs at least once a week.

Everytime I use an unoffical ROM some of my apps never come back in the market so I can redownload them (ex. Mobile Banking). That's why I personally haven't done it yet.

If I root the phone, even on MR2, I might have the same issue, but I was going to try and see.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Everytime I use an unoffical ROM some of my apps never come back in the market so I can redownload them (ex. Mobile Banking). That's why I personally haven't done it yet.

If I root the phone, even on MR2, I might have the same issue, but I was going to try and see.

Ok... safest thing you can do is to flash a new Radio... that does NOTHING to your data. Part of Flashing any ROM is to Wipe your Data, Cache and Dalvik cache... this will wipe all your apps... but all you have to do is login to your Gmail account, open the Market and download your apps... if you have paid for an app it will still be there. I have completely wiped and manually reloaded all my apps numerous times without issue... but if you don't want to loading a new Radio will effect nothing in the ROM itself.

Grimsin

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
If you use that link to the none debloat its like having a rooted latest stock version with no problems of any kind.

ALL gingerbread roms have problems. voicemail IS broken on ANYTHING that is missing the VVM stuff. example: Voicemails come through as a text msg that says you need to call your voicemail. No where though is there an easy means of calling voicemail. You will have to actually open the dial pad and hit *86. It will not show the pending voicemail notifications in the upper bar just the new text notification. The voicemail button in the apps list takes you no where or to your msgs minus any voicemail information depending on the rom. In other words any rom that has the VVM removed, froyo or GB, is going to have issues at least imo with how your voicemail works. Most of the GB roms, and i have tested most of them listed here now, have bugs of various sorts. in liqued ginger sense the debug bridge does not work, txt msgs get bogus time stamps sometimes, it reboots regularly, and a handful of other bugs not to mention the VVM issues. Of course im pretty anal in the fact that if it does not work perfect - it does not work. lol. Now if you know where to get a rooted GB none debloated i would love to try it out :) as none debloated roms seem to be the only things that are truely bug free.

Grimsin

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
A side note on that gmail business - that too is buggy and especially if you are loading roms and messing with dif roms. Gmail seems to update what apps you have when you open the market. So if you load a rom and open the market Gmail will lose all the free apps you have downloaded in a previous rom, or at least some of them its finicky for sure. The only apps that will stay maintained by gmail through everything is the paid apps. So i would not rely on gmail to maintain apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance