Thunderbolt to stock android the conversion

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
when I finnaly decided to jump ship from blackberry and jump over to android I new and seeing that Verizon does not have any stock devices I got the thunderbolt. After two weeks of owning it I really wanted stock android so I decided then and there I was going to sit down and make my self a pure android rom. I was familiar with codeing with windows so after a couple days of resurch I understood enough. That I dove in a watched tons of YouTube videos going over the nexus s software I. Also spent hours at bestbuy playing with the nexus s going through the menus and seeing how worked. Lets just say by time I was done the people at my local bestbuy new me personally. And after weeks and weeks. And lots of sleepless. Nights I finnaly finished my rom. And loaded it up when I got home from work today. What I'm about to tell u you are going to think I'm crazy and am defeating. The point of rooting. So all I ever wanted was a stock device so when I was finished loading it up and making sure it all worked I went in using root explorer and took out the superuser app taking away my root access so in the end I ended up with the ui I wanted without having root access. Keying me live the life of a stock user just with a more. Personalized ui :) so in the end I am very happy. With my work. And I won't be going into the Dev world nor will I be sharing this rom this one is. a exclusive. :) I have included some screen shots bellow its all based on the android open source project.

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Very nice indeed.I dont think I would personally have the patience to make my own rom lol.Looks just like an AOSP! Btw nice red cover on the laptop :p

Oh and welcome to Android! We are glad you went with us instead of the iPhoners :p

Bolt_of_Thunder

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
That's actually a pretty cool idea! Is your phone s-off or s-on? So when ota updates come out will you be able to update like normal since you removed superuser? Oh and does your method void your warranty like a normal root user?

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
That's actually a pretty cool idea! Is your phone s-off or s-on? So when ota updates come out will you be able to update like normal since you removed superuser? Oh and does your method void your warranty like a normal root user?
it's still s on but I should still have my warranty work.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Forgive me, but wouldn't have been easier to just install CM7? Also, why did you remove super user after all that work?
Cm7 uses a launcher and gives me a slew of extra settings I don't want to use I wanted a pure android rom. And for why I removed superuser I never wanted to be rooted I just wanted. A nexus phone. By removing it the market and other apps recognized it as a stock device and not rooted meaning. I can use Google movies and other apps and live the life of a stock user and not the life of a rooted user

dd0yl3

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
So when gingerbread comes out for thunderbolt and you accept the update will your UI change back to sense or will you be able to keep your custom rom?

dannychaos

High Five Champion
Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Extremely impressive Yoda! You're pretty brave to do that too. Also, have you tried downloading the superuser app on the market to make sure it wont work? I'm sure you have but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask you. Too bad your keeping it for yourself and not making a root version!!! Jealous! haha:D

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
What I'm about to tell u you are going to think I'm crazy and am defeating. The point of rooting. So all I ever wanted was a stock device so when I was finished loading it up and making sure it all worked I went in using root explorer and took out the superuser app taking away my root access so in the end I ended up with the ui I wanted without having root access.

This is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time hahahaha. Cheers to you bro. That's why Android is so awesome. You can make the phone YOURS. One way or another.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Cm7 uses a launcher and gives me a slew of extra settings I don't want to use I wanted a pure android rom. And for why I removed superuser I never wanted to be rooted I just wanted. A nexus phone. By removing it the market and other apps recognized it as a stock device and not rooted meaning. I can use Google movies and other apps and live the life of a stock user and not the life of a rooted user

Do you get any kind of ota's? I would imagine they would be nexus ota's if any at all. Does everything work? (flash vids in websites? LTE speed? If this thing is stable you've created my dream Rom. When I bought the tbolt all I really wanted.was.a 4G Droid with simultaneous data and phone call.

Congrats!

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Do you get any kind of ota's? I would imagine they would be nexus ota's if any at all. Does everything work? (flash vids in websites? LTE speed? If this thing is stable you've created my dream Rom. When I bought the tbolt all I really wanted.was.a 4G Droid with simultaneous data and phone call.

Congrats!
I don't get otas everything is stable there are some miner bugs that I need to work out but I'm going to need a official gb update to fix them. For the 5 days I have been running it I have absolutely loved it and won't be going to sense any time soon

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I had a rant about "noob questions" typed out, but I decided that won't get anybody anywhere and will make me sound like an ass.

Instead, I will applaud you for creating your own AOSP ROM from scratch, that's really cool. I've been thinking lately that I want to try the same thing. I don't have any programming experience, but I have gotten really familiar with the ROM process. What resources or tutorials would you recommend for a tech savvy person who wants to get cooking?

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I had a rant about "noob questions" typed out, but I decided that won't get anybody anywhere and will make me sound like an ass.

Instead, I will applaud you for creating your own AOSP ROM from scratch, that's really cool. I've been thinking lately that I want to try the same thing. I don't have any programming experience, but I have gotten really familiar with the ROM process. What resources or tutorials would you recommend for a tech savvy person who wants to get cooking?
i would start here How To: Create Your Own Custom ROM for Android, Part 1

then i would go onto youtube and search building your own android rom. there are some good videos on there.

Reactions: Comineeyeaha