Can't Update to New Firmware/Software with Rooted Phone

nycz_illest

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I keep getting the Software Update notifications (two of them: one for Verizon and one for HTC I think), and I always reject them because I rooted my phone. But now I been having problems with it freezing and restarting, so I accepted and when I tried to update it, I ALWAYS get an error when it starts to install and my phone freezes to where I have to take out the battery to get it to get out of the installation process.

So I have a 3 part question:

1) Why is it doing this? Is it because I rooted?

2) How do I get the updates if it is because of this? Do I have to unroot, then install the updates, then reroot?

3) Is there a way I can get both updates and still keep my phone rooted?

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
strange I always thought that once you rooted you were exempt from getting updates from ones perspective carrier..Interesting

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
strange I always thought that once you rooted you were exempt from getting updates from ones perspective carrier..Interesting
I'm not a "rooter" (yet), but I think this sometimes happens when you root, but do not load a new ROM. You just keep the official ROM, although rooted. Experts can chime in. I know there's a way to stop the update offers since you have root, but I can't remember it right now.

On the other hand, it sounds like you might have gone too far accepting this update and may need to unroot to recover.

-Frank

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I keep getting the Software Update notifications (two of them: one for Verizon and one for HTC I think), and I always reject them because I rooted my phone. But now I been having problems with it freezing and restarting, so I accepted and when I tried to update it, I ALWAYS get an error when it starts to install and my phone freezes to where I have to take out the battery to get it to get out of the installation process.

So I have a 3 part question:

1) Why is it doing this? Is it because I rooted?

Rooting does not stop OTA's... and actually when you root your device you actually load an OLD radio file, even if you have already taken the OTA with MR2... I believe it's the MR1 Radio, which VZW sees as an old ROM and needs to push the update to.

2) How do I get the updates if it is because of this? Do I have to unroot, then install the updates, then reroot?

You can unroot your device to get updates... but you would need to be sure to reload all your bloatware if that was the reason you rooted your device... otherwise it can cause issues with the OTA.

3) Is there a way I can get both updates and still keep my phone rooted?

The best thing is to flash your own updated radios... but really the best thing to do is first make a backup of your current ROM using ROM Manager's Recovery.... and then flash a new ROM... this will stop any OTA's... but always consider what ROM you load and what Radio you load... Froyo ROMs do NOT work with Gingerbread Radio's... there are some radios that do work with both, but you need to read a little and do some research on your own to make sure you are flashing the correct Radio for your ROM.... most Gingerbread ROM's work with any of the latest Gingerbread Radios.

Again, it's important that YOU do the research and read as much as possible if you think this is the path you want to take.

nycz_illest

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit, I am new to the whole rooting thing, and do not know what radios, flashing, and ROMs are.

Rooting does not stop OTA's... and actually when you root your device you actually load an OLD radio file, even if you have already taken the OTA with MR2... I believe it's the MR1 Radio, which VZW sees as an old ROM and needs to push the update to.

That makes sense. But how do I know which radio I have (and what is a radio?)

You can unroot your device to get updates... but you would need to be sure to reload all your bloatware if that was the reason you rooted your device... otherwise it can cause issues with the OTA.

Yes, removing the bloatware was exactly the reason I rooted my device. I have never done anything else for rooting purposes like others have (creating custom themes, for example). I will re-read Cory Streater's post about how to put the bloatware back and unroot.

But if what you said above is true, after I unroot, do the updates, and root again, won't it bring me back to the same point I'm at now because it's loading an old radio?

How can I have my Thunderbolt updated for everything and be rooted as well?

The best thing is to flash your own updated radios... but really the best thing to do is first make a backup of your current ROM using ROM Manager's Recovery.... and then flash a new ROM... this will stop any OTA's... but always consider what ROM you load and what Radio you load... Froyo ROMs do NOT work with Gingerbread Radio's... there are some radios that do work with both, but you need to read a little and do some research on your own to make sure you are flashing the correct Radio for your ROM.... most Gingerbread ROM's work with any of the latest Gingerbread Radios.

As I mentioned, I'm totally new to this and do not know much about what you mentioned here (sorry). But I don't want to stop the updates. I want them, but then to also be rooted again. From what you are saying it sounds like a ROM is the operating system (Froyo, Gingerbread...). I can't see why I wouldn't want Gingerbread over Froyo , since Gingerbread is the latest one out. Again, sorry, but could you please give me some insight?

Again, it's important that YOU do the research and read as much as possible if you think this is the path you want to take.

I hear you. Thanks

hillsmi

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit, I am new to the whole rooting thing, and do not know what radios, flashing, and ROMs are.

Yes, removing the bloatware was exactly the reason I rooted my device. I have never done anything else for rooting purposes like others have (creating custom themes, for example). I will re-read Cory Streater's post about how to put the bloatware back and unroot.

But if what you said above is true, after I unroot, do the updates, and root again, won't it bring me back to the same point I'm at now because it's loading an old radio?

As I mentioned, I'm totally new to this and do not know much about what you mentioned here (sorry). But I don't want to stop the updates. I want them, but then to also be rooted again. From what you are saying it sounds like a ROM is the operating system (Froyo, Gingerbread...). I can't see why I wouldn't want Gingerbread over Froyo , since Gingerbread is the latest one out. Again, sorry, but could you please give me some insight?

I hear you. Thanks

I too am new to TB, and to Android for that matter. And being a new 'Androider' I will explain what / why I went through, because, you sound like who I am, and why I rooted.

Others, please feel free to correct me if I sound off-key, as I am not an expert either. That being said, here-gos:

I came from a WinMo phone, where I had a rooted / unlocked phone, and was using the expertise and developments of others to put different ROMs on my phone, and have the ability to remove the crap from the phone I didn't want.

Firstly, you can check your radio version by going into the Settings tab on the TB, scrolling down to About Phone, and clicking Software Info; the radio version is the Baseband.

The radio is what the phone needs to communicate with the towers, so you can make your phone calls, and have the data access operate so that you can use the Internet.

Keeping it updated and maintaining root; if you can be patient, all the developers and the guys who make the ROMs for rooters, etc, take the time to put these ROMs together and, I guess, enjoy what they are doing, then pass their work on for others to enjoy. That being said, eventually the latest VZW OTA updates, will be available from a rooter's perspective for others some time after it is available for OTA; so in the meantime, don't accept the OTA from VZW. Wait a week or two, or however long, continue to 'google' and peruse the forums, and eventually, you'll see that the lastest VZW Froyo ROM has been rooted by someone else, and is ready for you to download and flash; all the while you can keep your root status.

Yes, the two ROMs or OSs for TB are Froyo (stock / manufacturer), and GB (Google version). Read up on both by Googling Froyo vs. Gingerbread, etc, and you can make your own decision on which one you want to try. And since you are rooted / unlocked / etc., you have the freedom and ability to go back and forth trying what you want until you find what's best currently, until another comes out for you to try.

But just don't accept the OTA, wait, and the current OTA will eventually be avail in a week or two from a rooter's point of view.

Once you are rooted, and have S-Off capability, when you do install the latest Froyo or GB, you can debloat the crap by use of Root Explorer (an app), move apps to the SD card using Titanium Backup (another app), and also by having ROM Manager (yet another app), you can search for and download other available ROMs for your phone; it's actually pretty cool to see what freedom you have being rooted, and being able to do the other stuff that you couldn't when you walked out of the VZW store with your phone.

Just read, read, read, and when you flash / upgrade, read the instructions carefully, so as to avoid damaging your phone.

Again, I am NOT an expert, and if anyone sees anything 'off' from what this noob is explaining to another noob, please, feel free to correct me.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

If you have a Froyo ROM and you are getting data, then you have a Froyo Radio... but to see the exact numbers you need to go into Settings > About Phone > then look either under Software information... you will be looking for "Baseband version"... it's a long number and you can look at http://forums.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/97307-guide-upgrade-mr2-compatible-rom-radio-mr1-after-root.html to see some of the numbers.

Yes, you will have the old radio again if you unroot, OTA and root again... no reason to do that, unless you want to waste your time.

You can flash a different ROM. That is the only way... then you can flash any updated Radio you want to run... or any ROM.

I hear you. Thanks

That is why you need to read more about ROMs.... and yes, it is the operating system... they can be changed independently of your Radio... they do NOT get flashed at the same time... so if you choose to flash a custom Gingerbread ROM, then you will need to flash a Gingerbread Radio.

Truly it's not worth rooting just to get rid of the bloatware... if that is all you want and you don't want to learn about new custom ROMs or Radios you should reload your bloatware and unroot your phone... and live with OTA updates that VZW gives you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance