Root Question

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
If I root my TB once GB comes out and then something goes wrong with the phone can I put a RUU back on it and it clear root as if it never happened? That way if I go take it to VZW they wouldnt have a clue I ever did it?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
You would need to Unroot your device... but you seem to have the idea... when you root before you put a different ROM or remove any apps or do anything your should load ROM Manager and make a backup (there is a sticky thread at the top of this forum with some good information on this process).

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The reason I asked was a VZW rep said they could tell if you rooted your phone or not even if you unrooted it

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Guess I was just being naive then. Figured the S-off would show up or something even if you unrooted. I just dont want to have issues if I have to return the phone or anything ya know.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Sweet. I might try rooting and getting some of the VZW crap off my phone once GB comes out.

Just remember to do a full backup using ROM Manager's ClockworkMod Recovery BEFORE removing any bloat... and then at that point you will not be able to take any OTA updates without causing you some problems if you want to leave your device stock and not load a custom ROM.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
If I root I can OC the cpu in the phone too right? Ive read somewhere the same processor in a different phone is pushing like 1.4?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
If I root I can OC the cpu in the phone too right? Ive read somewhere the same processor in a different phone is pushing like 1.4?

I'm sure you could Over Clock your phone if you root... I have no idea what they are "pushing." Personally, I have found no reason to "OC" my phone. I enjoy just flashing a cleaner, unbloated ROM onto my device and letting it run... some of these ROMs I've flashed are very quick all by themselves... no over clocking required. Plus I don't like the idea of bricking my phone by getting those settings wrong.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Thats true too. I guess I worry about putting a custom ROM on my phone because I just dont want to ever brick my phone. Id be screwed if it died on me and I was without it

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Thats true too. I guess I worry about putting a custom ROM on my phone because I just dont want to ever brick my phone. Id be screwed if it died on me and I was without it

I have not heard of anyone bricking their phone by just flashing a ROM or a Radio... but making a mistake overclocking your phone, sure... and if you are that worried about flashing a ROM, then you don't need to root your phone... stay stock!!!

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I just want to be able to get rid of apps that I have no need for really. Thought about OCing it but you have a point on that. And maybe a volume boost of some sort just to make it a bit louder. I really dont have an issue with sense itself its just there are like 10 apps id never use just taking up space lol.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I just want to be able to get rid of apps that I have no need for really. Thought about OCing it but you have a point on that. And maybe a volume boost of some sort just to make it a bit louder. I really dont have an issue with sense itself its just there are like 10 apps id never use just taking up space lol.

There is a why out of this that is a LOT simpler than Rooting your device, and removing all the Bloatware, and keeping up with OTA... just load another Launcher like LauncherPro... with LauncherPro you can hide the Bloatware, that way you can stay current with OTA's, and not have to see all the Bloatware you don't want to see.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
If I hide it does it still run at bootup or is it just like a hidden file and still running? Also isnt there some things that wont run that does normal with sense or something when you run a launcher?

Atomic_Monkey

Android monkey
Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure you could Over Clock your phone if you root... I have no idea what they are "pushing." Personally, I have found no reason to "OC" my phone. I enjoy just flashing a cleaner, unbloated ROM onto my device and letting it run... some of these ROMs I've flashed are very quick all by themselves... no over clocking required. Plus I don't like the idea of bricking my phone by getting those settings wrong.
Agreed, my quadrant scores were around 1,800 before root and with sense, now running non sense rom...cm7...and getting 2,200 - 2,400 scores, aosp ROMs especially seem to be super fast. Maybe in a year and TB is getting out dated, but for now it can handle anything I need as is...

Last edited:

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
If I hide it does it still run at bootup or is it just like a hidden file and still running? Also isnt there some things that wont run that does normal with sense or something when you run a launcher?

Apps will run if they are setup to run... and when the ROM doesn't need them it will close/stop them. If they are not setup to Sync, or you have not started those apps you will be just fine.

Other launchers (Go Launcher EX, ADW Launcher, and LauncherPro just to name a few) will not run Sense Widgets, if that is what you are asking... about the only thing I miss when running LauncherPro or any other launcher is the Sense clock/weather widget, but I purchased Beautiful Widgets which has a very nice clock/weather widget.

There is a trade off with anything... root, remove bloat, have to manually update your own ROM and Radio from that point forward... OR... run a different launcher and not see a couple Sense Widgets... OR... just leave your device alone.

Reactions: byrds8