Can't get GPS to work on any AOSP ROMs. Mini BAMF, CM7, etc...

Daniel0418

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys. I searched in the forums and I have not found anyone with the exact same issue just yet. Here is my problem, I tried using CM 7, CM 7 nightlies, Liquid Thunderbread, and Mini BAMF. All of which are stock or stock[ish] ROMs based off of Android 2.3 AOSP. I Really don't like Sense UI anymore so I want to use stock Android. However none of these ROMs seem to let me use GPS. I need turn by turn navigation for work and it seems to work fine with Liquid GingerSense, BAMF 4.9, and Shift Sense. With these ROMs that include Sense UI, GPS locks in seconds and works great without issue. But every single stock gingerbread ROM seems to have issues where the GPS doesn't work AT ALL. It says "Searching for GPS" forever. When I turned GPS on it doesn't even show up in the status bar when I go to the maps app. I really want to use stock gingerbread on my phone. I hope someone can help.

I am using the latest Clockwork Recovery flashed via ROM Manager, I have MR2.5 Radio (previous MR2.0 which didn't work with any AOSP ROMs either), and am currently running ShiftSense. I don't mind trying new stuff to fix the GPS. I really just want stock gingerbread on my Thunderbolt because it runs as smooth as butter.

tfrank10

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Before flashing to an AOSP ROM, make sure you have a gps lock first (have maps open) before booting into recovery. That seems to do the trick for me.

Sent from my BLACKSOURC3 using Tapatalk

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Re: Can't get GPS to work on any AOSP ROMs. Mini BAMF, CM7, etc..

This is a known issue that has been explained over and over again... if you see the issue, flash a naniod backup of your ROM, download an install a ROM with Sense, turn on GPS, use Navigation app to get a good lock, leave this on, start Recovery, flash back to your backup.

Daniel0418

May 14, 2010
Visit site

Okay it seemed to work. I appreciate your help. What AOSP ROM is the most stable? BAMF mini is buggy so far.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

Okay it seemed to work. I appreciate your help. What AOSP ROM is the most stable? BAMF mini is buggy so far.

It's all opinion... but here is my 2 cents... right now I'd have to say CM7, with Liquid Thunderbread a close second.

opjones

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site

Agree with CM7 being stable, I've been using it as a daily driver for a couple months now.

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm using 7.1 release candidate. Awesome! Stable. The nightlies are great but may have some bugs but they are constantly updating.

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm in a g2. It's 7.1 . The latest release candidate. it's very stable. Not the nightlies. Although you can give it a shot. They are great just a work in progress.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

I'm in a g2. It's 7.1 . The latest release candidate. it's very stable. Not the nightlies. Although you can give it a shot. They are great just a work in progress.

Version numbers do matter... and differ from device to device... so it's much better to comment on your own device when talking about ROMs (G2 in the G2 ROM forum, and so on)... unless you want to just talk in general terms in another device's forum.

Parallax82

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Before flashing the Sense Rom and after you've locked on with GPS and go to reflash CM7, do you need to wipe data/factory reset, cache partition, and Dalvik cache?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

Before flashing the Sense Rom and after you've locked on with GPS and go to reflash CM7, do you need to wipe data/factory reset, cache partition, and Dalvik cache?

If you are reloading a naniod backup, then NO.

electriclineman

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site

I so wish I had any form if idea what you all are taking about & even more I wish i knew how to do any of what your talking about!! but I don't so I am stuck with everything stock & waiting for the upgrades from htc, if they ever come.. In the mean time my phone will keep rebooting on its own & sending texts to the wrong person until the damn gingerbread comes out.. WoooooooHoooooooo

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

I so wish I had any form if idea what you all are taking about & even more I wish i knew how to do any of what your talking about!! but I don't so I am stuck with everything stock & waiting for the upgrades from htc, if they ever come.. In the mean time my phone will keep rebooting on its own & sending texts to the wrong person until the damn gingerbread comes out.. WoooooooHoooooooo

If you have rooted your device, then http://forums.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/77350-guide-how-backup-restore-install-roms-thunderbolt.html is the best resource for flashing ROMs.

Reactions: opjones

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1