If I flash a ROM after rooting using Revolutionary Question

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Quick question before I finally root my phone here. If I flash a ROM after using Revolutionary/unrEVOked to root the phone, will all of my apps and contacts be wiped? I ask because with Revolutionary, it does not wipe your apps and other data stored on the phone.

Basically I am rooting to get wifi tether and to debloat and it seems like the newest Gingeritis ROM is what will work best for me.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
When you install a custom rom you would most likely have to wipe your data to install, so yes your data will be wiped..

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
You really don't need a custom ROM for removing bloat and using wireless tether.... But yes you need to wipe data for flashing ROMs.

Removing bloat: http://forums.androidcentral.com/th...afe-remove-once-rooted-how-put-them-back.html you can also use Titanium Backup instead.

For tethering: Open Garden Wifi Tether works great on the Bolt.... App is in the market.

If you decide to use a custom ROM... Backing up apps/data: Backing up data: http://forums.androidcentral.com/th...store-apps-data-when-installing-new-roms.html

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Myback up pro is good for app backup and as far as your contacts they should be backed up either by google and or verizon back up assistant.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone!! I am actually just about to start rooting the phone and I plan on flashing the newest GIngeritis ROM since I'm getting pretty bored with the stock Froyo etc. Another question though is that, before I flash the Gingeritis ROM, do I need to flash a new radio first and if so, what radio goes best with the Gingeritis ROM?

It would make sense to me that everything needed would be included with the ROM so I'm not sure if I need to flash the radio, kernel, and ROM separately or if it is an all in one package.

Basically what I am about to do:
1. Root using Revoltionary following nat3mil video
2. Flash new radio?
3. Flash Gingeritis
4. Enjoy the Thunderbolt

Does the above sound about right? I've never rooted before but I have been reading for a few months and I have a pretty good idea of the process and how everything works.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay