1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Gingerbread install on rooted phone?

Hi,

With the OTA Gingerbread release today, I have a question. My phone is rooted and running Das Bamf ROM. Do I need to restore the original firmare and unroot before doing the OTA?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Default Re: Gingerbread install on rooted phone?

Yes you would have to unroot to be able to get the OTA, but why would you want to do that. You won't see any advantage of being on unrooted GB vs GB rom. I would stay rooted unless you need to return your phone. Are you currently running a BG BAMF rom?

@bigcanoe, I wouldn't want to unroot since you will also gain all that bloatware. I myself am not rooted yet, though looking to hop on very soon.

@mslarryjr, is it recommended to backup my device before going from froyo to OTA 2.3?
    seems like many people are just updating without worrying. I'd like to go ahead and hit the OTA, but i'm also a little of a cautious type.
    עם ישראל חי
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

You shouldn't lose any data by using the OTA but I would still backup anything you think is important just to be safe. I don't have any experience using the OTA since I'm rooted so I just going off what other users have said.
    Thanked by:

i was told a while back that if you rooted with revolutionary that you could update and it wouldnt lose root.
    anyone else tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by toll View Post
    i was told a while back that if you rooted with revolutionary that you could update and it wouldnt lose root.
    anyone else tried this?
    I am trying this right now ... will let you know what happens when it finishes

Quote Originally Posted by toll View Post
    anyone else tried this?
    Did not work for me, phone wasn't able to finish update with root
    Thanked by:
    toll 
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Nice, let us know! You still need stock rom I assume?

ROM
    stock, for now...

WTF these answers? You shouldn't do the OTA at all.

Time to switch to Bamf Forever. It is based on 2.11.605.0 but you can patch it up to 2.11.605.3.

@tbolt55 good to know and thanks for the quick reply, thats why i love this site

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

I have the revolutionary root. I just want the gb update, I don't want the other roms, I want to stay as close as possible to stock and still be rooted. I have the stock rom. Can I do the ota?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I had to unroot, and return to stock to do that OTA. Dunno if i will be able to root again or not