OK now I have GB... and want to root right....

mctillsr

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I can root using Revolutionary.... and now s-off .... where or what do i need to do next to have sense 3.5 or is BAMF forever a better way to go ... or am I totally screwing this up? some one please point me....

Brainfart

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
I can root using Revolutionary.... and now s-off .... where or what do i need to do next to have sense 3.5 or is BAMF forever a better way to go ... or am I totally screwing this up? some one please point me....

I don't think you're screwing up. I rooted last weekend and running BAMF Forever and love it! Best decision I ever made even with the new OTA that just rolled out today. Make sure you haven't already updates to the latest GB OTA cause as far as I know at this time there is no way to root on the current OTA but it will probably be available pretty soon if it's not already done.

[GB][2.11.605.0][Sense3.0]BAMF Forever 1.0.6

There is the official place to get it. Good luck and enjoy!

the Ramen Noodle

Jan 12, 2011
noodle.mx
For some weird reason, I've been waiting for the official Gingerbread OTA before thinking about rooting. Now that I have it, I'm realizing I may not have needed to wait.

So add me to the list of "I have GB and I want to root" as well as the "I should've rooted long ago." :)

jdg1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
For some weird reason, I've been waiting for the official Gingerbread OTA before thinking about rooting. Now that I have it, I'm realizing I may not have needed to wait.

So add me to the list of "I have GB and I want to root" as well as the "I should've rooted long ago." :)
Do it, you will be glad you did.
I was in the same exact shoes.

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

Welcome. I'm sure you're not alone with those who waited for God knows what reason ;) But better late than ever!

We have a great rooting community for this phone, and it's sure to get even bigger now with an official GB release. Here's hoping the devs can get the source code soon, and start developing some awesome kernels to go along with some already awesome ROMS!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
If you're on the fence, check the FAQ in my signature!

Honestly, I'm not surprised many who were hoping for the world when the GB update finally dropped are now realizing they now really do need to root in order to really unlock the full power of the Thunderbolt. I don't mean that as a flat recommendation, I think the decision to root is one that everyone must make for themselves, and you should be educated about the process and what it means before you do it...which is why I recommend reading my FAQ.

To comment on the OP's post, I believe it has already been confirmed that the Revolutionary root method does work even if you already have the latest official GB update installed.
Discussed here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/122406-2-11-605-3-ruu-rootable.html

BAMF Forever is sweet, sweet, Sense 3.0 goodness, based on the 2.11.605.0, with a ton of BAMF awesomeness baked in. I love it. It's like I already have all the features that all non-root users are still complaining that they don't have even after today's update.

Just do yourself a favor, check the stickies on this forum on and read up. Tons of great info to help you do everything you want right here.

mctillsr

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Either Revolutionary isn't working after the OTA or something is wrong with my beta code.... any other suggestions to obtain an easy root?

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Why did folks wait for gingerbread to root? Seriously curious. Doesnt make sense really.

Sent from my Bolt via Tapatalk.

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Either Revolutionary isn't working after the OTA or something is wrong with my beta code.... any other suggestions to obtain an easy root?

if you have s-off then you already have root. what exactly are you trying to do that is messing up and what is the error message?

I'm guessing you didn't flash CWM and superuser, which you will need to do. revolutionary will flash CWM for you, and you just need to grab superuser. from the revolutionary.io site:

Does Revolutionary give me root?
No. You will need to flash this zipfile from recovery. http://goo-inside.me/superuser/su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip

mctillsr

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
no i dont have s off anymore.... I had s off on another tbolt and it bricked while i was installing a rom when i dropped it and the battery came out.... so now that i am post OTA update i am trying to use rev. to root... when i enter my beta code i get the message that the code is invalid.... I have entered it so many times using a magnifying glass even to ensure i was useing the correct code i think i can tell you the code backwards.... there is the abd or is it adb method here in the forum but not sure if that is working still or not.... Ideas suggestions.... or just wait and see lol

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
no i dont have s off anymore.... I had s off on another tbolt and it bricked while i was installing a rom when i dropped it and the battery came out.... so now that i am post OTA update i am trying to use rev. to root... when i enter my beta code i get the message that the code is invalid.... I have entered it so many times using a magnifying glass even to ensure i was useing the correct code i think i can tell you the code backwards.... there is the abd or is it adb method here in the forum but not sure if that is working still or not.... Ideas suggestions.... or just wait and see lol

The older methods originally used to gain root should no longer work, Revolutionary is the only method that still works post-GB udpdate. I have never used it myself...is there a way to generate a new beta code?

one more question... once rooted what happens with mobile hot spot... is that still a useable item?

If you have the service from Verizon, sure. (check for each ROM -- so ROMs don't support it, some do). If you don't subscribe to the mobile hotspot feature, you can use apps like "wireless tether", so long as you understand that using apps like that do go against Verizon's TOS.

Using Verizon's free mobile hotspot went away with the MR2 update a few months ago...the only way to continue to use that service for free is to run really old software.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

I'd suggest you just wait until you see people have found a way of rooting the new GB ROM.

And for your second question... there are other ROMs that have free mobile hotspot if that is an absolute requirement that you have it... you just have to find one that has it built in. Some ROMs are trying to support the paid app and not free.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your help. Your post really helped someone on this forum keep up the good work.

sent from my thunderbolt

Your point is valid, but really only because "onthewhole" should explained why it makes no sense...

This forum is about helping each other and about sharing information, and to be honest, I think one very important point that many rooting noobs don't necessarily understand is:

Waiting for an official update is no reason to put off rooting.

Once you're familiar with the process and installing ROMs and such, this seems like a no-brainer (why wait for something you're just going to blow away anyway?!?), but to the novice, it may not be as obvious. I know that I at one time was a noob, and I learned a lot by reading posts here.

I honestly think that if you're unfamiliar with rooting but think you may want to give it a shot, PLEASE read the FAQ in my signature -- it answers a lot of questions, most importantly what you should do about "official" Verizon updates.

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

did you go to the revolutionary.io site and regenerate your beta key? also did you enter the correct serial number from your phone?

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your help. Your post really helped someone on this forum keep up the good work.

sent from my thunderbolt

I was genuinely curious as to why someone would wait for the gingerbread update?

Maybe i should have gone into detail more but the root methods are just going to downgrade you to the initial release to gain root acess.

I'll just keep my comments to "read the stickies" then. Everything you need is there. Good luck and thanks for your sarcasm though.

Sent from my Bolt via Tapatalk.

Last edited:

mctillsr

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
<<<< Is the King of Sarcasm... and thought your post although blunt was Missing the part you DA NOOB..... I am still laughing ... anyhow in response I really was not sure if i wanted to root or not.. then once it came through i decided hell yes root that biatch... but now i am in the nope not going to happen...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC