[GUIDE] How To Root/Unroot The Thunderbolt with Revolutionary

graywolfman

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
OK....thanks for this update. I have followed all the rules i believe....I have a rooted Thuderbolt...everything works awesome....EXCEPT....where is the 4G?

I cant even find a place to try turning the 4G on?

Any ideas? I am running a MikMiks new Gingeristis 3D.

Any help wpuld be awesome.

Thanks
It could have been a part of the outage VZW was having with their 4G network, which I believe that issue has been resolved. My phone wouldn't even connect to 3G until I turned LTE capabilities off yesterday because it thought it was connected to a 4G tower. Any luck today?

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
So what does htc unlocking the bootloader for the bolt mean with this current update or Revo for that matter?

TBBLUL.jpg

HTCdev - Unlock Bootloader

EdwardIII

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Might as well wipe everything and take the rooting plunge....you wont regret it and no more waiting for Verizon to "fix" our problems, just fix it yourself...God, I love a rooted phone :)

wortsd1

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
At the moment, I don't see the point of using htcdev to unlock the bootloader when it requires a data wipe and voids your warranty in every way. Just downgrade to pre ota state (which requires a wipe) and use revolutionary then get full s-off and download rooted ota for radio benefits, etc. That's my opinion, though. It's debatable until revolutionary is updated.

Nyobie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I went through all the steps and everything seemed to work fine last night. I reinstalled apps and began setting my phone preferences accordingly. I went to bed and woke up this morning to a blue Android symbol next to a triangle with an exclamation point inside the triangle.

I found instructions on how to disable the VZ Updater so I cleared cache and got myself out of the endless bootloop for the time being.

Here's the problem.

Instructions I've found indicate that the Updater needs to be frozen so I went to the Market, downloaded an app called BusyBox which is supposed to allow me to freeze apps only the problem is, the app won't execute. I get an error message stating that the 'su binary was not found...' so the app won't work without root.

I went back to the HBOOT screen and verified that the phone is s-off. I thought I missed a step so I went back through the instructions (and I swear I got all the way through step 11 last night), but I attempted to reinstall the su zip file by starting at Step 7 and when I get to the screen where I'm supposed to be able to see the su zip file, it's not listed anywhere.

I'm stuck and could use a pointer on how to get the su binary file properly installed so my phone will be recognized by apps as being s-off.

HELP!

jmaterna

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
When I do follow the youtube steps to unrooting, when I get to the part where you are working in the command prompt, when I do the abd devices, it won't pull up my phones serial numbers. Since it won't do that I can't continue to unroot.. What do I need to do?

stratejaket

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I went through all the steps and everything seemed to work fine last night. I reinstalled apps and began setting my phone preferences accordingly. I went to bed and woke up this morning to a blue Android symbol next to a triangle with an exclamation point inside the triangle.

I found instructions on how to disable the VZ Updater so I cleared cache and got myself out of the endless bootloop for the time being.

Here's the problem.

Instructions I've found indicate that the Updater needs to be frozen so I went to the Market, downloaded an app called BusyBox which is supposed to allow me to freeze apps only the problem is, the app won't execute. I get an error message stating that the 'su binary was not found...' so the app won't work without root.

I went back to the HBOOT screen and verified that the phone is s-off. I thought I missed a step so I went back through the instructions (and I swear I got all the way through step 11 last night), but I attempted to reinstall the su zip file by starting at Step 7 and when I get to the screen where I'm supposed to be able to see the su zip file, it's not listed anywhere.

I'm stuck and could use a pointer on how to get the su binary file properly installed so my phone will be recognized by apps as being s-off.

HELP!

When you run revolutionary now, when it starts does it say your already s-off what do you think your doing? If so let it run completely through the process it will install superuser, and busybox for you. After that you can load up titanium backup and freeze apps at will. You will need the pro version in order to use the freeze option.
If you are just trying to stop the OTAs there are a couple of options.

1. Menu.. Settings.. About Phone.. Software Updates.. Uncheck the box for scheduled updates.

2. Use root explorer and go to /etc/security/otacerts.zip and rename it to otacerts.zip.bak

3. Check your SDcard for a PG05IMG.ZIP if it is there delete it.

4. Clear your cache.

5. If all else fails find a non stock rooted rom.

stratejaket

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
When I do follow the youtube steps to unrooting, when I get to the part where you are working in the command prompt, when I do the abd devices, it won't pull up my phones serial numbers. Since it won't do that I can't continue to unroot.. What do I need to do?

Do you have the proper drivers installed? Also, do you have HTC sync installed? If so remove it.
Usb deugging checked?

BIOS

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey I follow the steps in the video but when it is "Zerging" for about a minute it tells me, "Failed to get root :("

can anyone help, thanks.

stratejaket

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Are you updated to the 605.9? If so Revo will not work yet on the updated software. You have to downgrade to 605.5 first. There are threads out there that explain how to do that.

Reactions: BIOS

Gage

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering taking the plunge into rooting my TB...does it matter for using Revolutionary if I downgrade to 605.3 or 605.5? Also, will the RUU for either (assuming they both work) be able to be flashed in hboot the same way (with wipe ensuing)?

drew1227

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this has been posted but I cant find the answer. I needed to unroot for warrenty. everything went fine and im s-on and back to stock but when I got my refurbed tbolt and went to the bootloader screen I noticed that it said locked in pink at the top. my broken phone says all the right numbers but doesnt say locked in pink at the top. should I worry about sending it back? It was a hardware issue. not sure if that matters

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa