Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #76  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Default Re: [GUIDE] How To Root/Unroot The Thunderbolt with Revolutionary

Quote Originally Posted by ebeetate View Post
    Hi everyone. Ive been following this forum for a long time now but I finallly registered today so Im not sure if im posting this in the correct place so im srry if messed up. I tried posting somewhere else but nobody has replied. I rooted my droidx a long time ago and loved it but upgraded to tb. I missed the root but was scared to root the tb because it was so confusing at first. When the Revolutionary root came out I decided to give it a try and it went perfectly the first day. The next day I was unable to download the root apps from the market or browser so I restarted the phone. Then it got stuck on the TB logo. After trying a lot of different things I finially factory reset it. Now when I try to reroot it gives me this messege "waiting on device" but it never recognizes it. Can anyone tell what went wrong. This is my 3rd TB so I called verizon because I still couldnt download anything. They are sending me a droid charge. Is this a mistake and is it easy to root cus ive looked for the drivers to download and cant find them. Please help cus I really want to root one of these phone. If I can fix the TB ill send the charge back if not ill keep the charge.
    It sounds like your computer doesn't have the right drivers installed. Did you download the Windows Driver I linked in the first post?

Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.0.7

I'm trying to help a friend out by using this Revolutionary. When opened, we enter the keys, it says thanks for participating, then goes to

Zerging Root... this might take a minute or so

And just sticks there. Any suggestions?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #78  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    At one time I asked if rooting with revolutionary but remaining stock would prevent ota's from being pushed while we sleep. I think the answer was something like "I think so". Does anybody know for sure? I don't want to get an ota while rooted and stock.
    First paragraph of the unroot guide:
    *** The revolutionary method of rooting uses a sneeky hboot exploit and replaces your stock 1.04.0000 or 1.05.0000 bootloader with a modified permanent hboot. It not only gives you all the same fastboot flash abilities as the original engineering bootloader, but it very effectively blocks other hboots from overwriting it. It's good... as you will remain s-off if you accidentally flash a full RUU, or accept an OTA... but makes it a little trickier to remove.***

Not sure what exactly would happen... Never tried it but from what I'm reading, I'm guessing it will still be pushed to the phone but as stated... If you DO accidently accept an OTA or RUU... Nothing bad will happen. The bootloader is locked tight on s-off.

Did you ever read the thread for preventing Verizon from pushing OTAs? There's a way to disable them by renaming the file with Root Explorer. The thread should be floating around somewhere in here. If you can't find it... I'll try later on tonight and see if I can find it for you.

Renaming what file? My last ota did the whole thing by itself with no input from me. I would have no chance to download then change the filename.

I read that paragraph too but the part saying it would make it tricky to remove scared me. Heck, it all scares me so I want to understand THOROUGHLY b4 jumping in.

Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.0.7

Quote Originally Posted by Xxw0lfxX View Post
    I'm trying to help a friend out by using this Revolutionary. When opened, we enter the keys, it says thanks for participating, then goes to

Zerging Root... this might take a minute or so

And just sticks there. Any suggestions?
    Anyone?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #81  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    Renaming what file? My last ota did the whole thing by itself with no input from me. I would have no chance to download then change the filename.

I read that paragraph too but the part saying it would make it tricky to remove scared me. Heck, it all scares me so I want to understand THOROUGHLY b4 jumping in.
    There's a file in the phones system directory that Verizon uses to keep track of what version is on the phone when pushing OTAs. If you rename the file it stops the OTA from getting pushed. I'll try to find the thread later on if I have time.

Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.0.7

Anyone?
    Found out the hard way that you cannot have HTC sync installed. Guess I should read a little more

Sent from my Bamf'd HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Were you able to uninstall htc sync and get the revo to work or are you bricked?

ROM
    NuSense 7.2

Found out the hard way that you cannot have HTC sync installed. Guess I should read a little more

Sent from my Bamf'd HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    Hey Cyber, maybe you could add in your tutorial to make sure that HTC Sync is removed from your computer before beginning this hack would help a few people in the future out. I had a couple friends run into this same issue before they actually watched the video and heard it mentioned in the video. I might have missed it but I just re read your guide and did not see a mention of that.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #85  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stratejaket View Post
    Hey Cyber, maybe you could add in your tutorial to make sure that HTC Sync is removed from your computer before beginning this hack would help a few people in the future out. I had a couple friends run into this same issue before they actually watched the video and heard it mentioned in the video. I might have missed it but I just re read your guide and did not see a mention of that.
    Will do... sorry, thought I had that in the instructions. Adding it now.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

I started to root and got to Step 9. The revolutionary program says "Flashing recovery over fastboot" and has been here for a while. I can't move the volume rocker any to select Bootloader. I think it has been on this for about 10 minutes. Help.

I finally rooted, and it went along well.
    This is a great tutorial thank you.

Hey....CW. Thanks for all your help so far.

I'm having some trouble on step 9. I'm getting stuck on the "waiting for fastboot...."
    The key was accepted and root was acquired and it says cleaning up and rebooting to fastboot....and then it says something about lemons but then it just gets stuck on "waiting for fastboot..."

I look to my phone and it is still on S-ON and it doesn't say revolutionary at the top like it did for you.

I don't have HTC sync, I downloaded all the drivers, and I'm in charge mode. Am I just one of the few unlucky ones that needs to try doing this over and over again?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

ROM
    NuSense 7.2

Just curious did you try to do it again? If s-on still shows you might just have to give it a few attempts. Some reported multiple attempts before bypassing security. Do you have any PG05IMG.zip files stored on your SDcard? That was the reason a few others ran into issues.
    Last edited by stratejaket; 10-09-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: typo

Hey Stratejaket,

No PG05IMG.zip files. And I have tried doing this now 10 times....still no luck. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

ROM
    NuSense 7.2

I'm still learning everyday about all of this.
    If I were in your shoes, I'd do a battery pull get the phone restarted fresh, and make sure the drivers are installed correctly. I went through before starting this process and deleted everything HTC from my computer. Then installed the driver and started revolutionary.

Once your fresh watch the youtube video

and go step by step with the video. There might be some trivial step your missing that is hindering your progress.

I just rooted my TB and all indicators seem to be correct. (Revolutionary at the top, S-OFF, "Superuser" icon, etc.) However the only step that I noticed varied at all was:
    Do you want to download (Internet connection required) and flash ClockworkMod R
    covery? [Y/n]

Downloading recovery for your phone (mecha)...Done.
    Flashing recovery over fastboot...SUCCESS!
    Press (almost) any key to exit.
    y

It appears to have started the download recovery before I typed "y"
    Did I miss something??
    Last edited by harrishaven; 10-09-2011 at 09:03 PM.

I have tried everything. I'm not sure what is causing this to stop at the fastboot stage. I tried the battery pull and shutdown and restarted my computer. I've watched the video now several times. I've deleted all things HTC and reloaded the drivers several times now.

Should I try using another SD card?

I'm also using this on a laptop. Could that be the problem?

Please help as this is getting to be extremely frustrating.

Thanks.

What state is your phone in now? Can you still use it or is it bricked?

ROM
    NuSense 7.2

Quote Originally Posted by uncdickpark View Post
    I have tried everything. I'm not sure what is causing this to stop at the fastboot stage. I tried the battery pull and shutdown and restarted my computer. I've watched the video now several times. I've deleted all things HTC and reloaded the drivers several times now.

Should I try using another SD card?

I'm also using this on a laptop. Could that be the problem?

Please help as this is getting to be extremely frustrating.

Thanks.
    What operating system are you using on your laptop?

ROM
    NuSense 7.2

Quote Originally Posted by harrishaven View Post
    I just rooted my TB and all indicators seem to be correct. (Revolutionary at the top, S-OFF, "Superuser" icon, etc.) However the only step that I noticed varied at all was:
    Do you want to download (Internet connection required) and flash ClockworkMod R
    covery? [Y/n]

Downloading recovery for your phone (mecha)...Done.
    Flashing recovery over fastboot...SUCCESS!
    Press (almost) any key to exit.
    y

It appears to have started the download recovery before I typed "y"
    Did I miss something??
    Once it completed could you boot into recovery on your phone?

ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.0.9

I am trying to root using the Revolutionary program. After I paste in my beta key and it is accepted, it says:

Zerging Root... this might take a minute or so.. Communications with phone unexpectedly interrupted. Try again.

This is the 10th time I've tried to get it to work. I've rebooted to see if that would work, but it made no difference.

The phone is in USB debugging mode, Charge only with the HTC drivers installed on the computer.

Any ideas?

ROM
    NuSense 7.2

Do you have HTC Sync installed on the computer?
    Diabl0 likes this.

ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.0.9

Quote Originally Posted by stratejaket View Post
    Do you have HTC Sync installed on the computer?
    Nope! I was persistent and rebooted the phone and computer again. After doing this and entering the beta key it zerged for root and said failed to root. I kept doing this and it would switch between failed to root and communications with phone unexpectedly interrupted. When the communications interrupted prompt was given to me, I just unplugged the phone and plugged it back in until it worked.

I have successfully rooted!

So....I just tried this on another computer. No hiccups. Took less than 10 minutes. I'm not sure what was up with my computer. I had an old HTC phone and I thought I deleted all the files associated with it but maybe that was the problem. Still not 100% sure. Either way, if you've tried everything and nothing seems to work, I would suggest switching computers and seeing if that works.

Thanks to everyone who came up with this stuff. Very easy guide if your computer behaves. Thanks Stratejacket and CW for all your help.

Now.....on to a backup and then ROMs!!!!!

Stratejacket....any backups you suggest? I know CW mentioned a few but just wanted your thoughts.
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast