[GUIDE] How To Root/Unroot The Thunderbolt with Revolutionary

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Excellent...and have we established whether revo rooted but stock may have an ota forced on it? And if so how to prevent it? I'm sorry I know I asked this before but I wasn't sure if we had a definite answer or not.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Excellent...and have we established whether revo rooted but stock may have an ota forced on it? And if so how to prevent it? I'm sorry I know I asked this before but I wasn't sure if we had a definite answer or not.

Okay.... Found the thread.
DISABLING VERIZON OTA PUSH: http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-htc-thunderbolt-forums/113963-over-air-update.html

You need to rename the otacerts.zip file to otacerts.zip.bak. If you ever decide you want to receive an OTA update... Just rename the file back to what it was.

Reactions: recDNA

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I found it. Now I just need to work up the gumption to try revo. I've read some scary problems some people have had in the process. Since I intend to remain stock rooted I think I'm better off waiting for the next ota that corrects the last ota before rooting. If I wait and flash the developers version of the next ota (when it comes out) I assume it will wipe all my data?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Revolution doesn't wipe your data. RUUs do.

You're in the same boat as I am. Both of us probably have rooting in our future. But not until the TB is about as fully updated as it's gonna get from OTAs. :)

I mean, typically, I can get a couple of more months of enthusiasm from just changing my background :D

-Frank

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, I could save data and apps once rooted then do the new ruu then restore data. I don't know how much additional work would be required.

First thing I'll do once rooted is a nandroid and data backup of my current setup. As long as I keep vzw vvm I don't know if i'll even WANT the next ota (or the ruu of it).

It will be nice to talk to someone in the same boat! I always assumed you were rooted based on your extensive knowlege of the tbolt.

stratejaket

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, why do you not want to just flash a new ROM? Why root if you want to remain stock?

Sent from my Synergy driven Thunderbolt...

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
OK, I took the plunge and got as far as tryng to installing SU etc .zip It's on the root of my drive but in Revo Custom Recovery the only zip it found was update.zip. su-2.3.6.3-efgh etc.zip isn't listed as a zip to install?

I wonder what would have happened if I had flashed update.zip? I don't see that file anywhere on my SD root.

Finally got it! I'm a SuperUser! Now what?

I installed Rom Manager but do I have to flash ClockworkMod Recovery? Didn't Revo already do that?

Well I guess I had to because I couldn't back up my ROM without doing first.

Rom is backing up now...oooooo hmm this takes a while but I can see stuff happenin'

What does "No SD-EXT Found" " No backup of SD-ext" mean? It came right before generating MD5

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, why do you not want to just flash a new ROM? Why root if you want to remain stock?

Sent from my Synergy driven Thunderbolt...

To use light flow for led notifications. I'm sure i'll try some roms eventually. I have my eye on bamf forever. I want to make sure I thoroughly understand root first....like how do I get to clockwork recovery without using rom manager?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
When the ruu of the next ota comes out how could I flash it while retaining root and stock settings? I'm guessing the ruu wipes everything then I backup apps and settings from titanium?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I want to make sure I thoroughly understand root first....like how do I get to clockwork recovery without using rom manager?
All the info you need for ROMs/Radios/Mods is in the Guide for backing up, restoring and installing ROMs on the TB.

Here it is again.... to manually boot into recovery: Power off the phone.. Turn the phone back on while holding the power button and the volume down rocker at the same time until the phone starts up with the white hboot screen.... Select Recovery.. You're now in ClockworkMod Recovery.

When the ruu of the next ota comes out how could I flash it while retaining root and stock settings? I'm guessing the ruu wipes everything then I backup apps and settings from titanium?
There will be two versions of the RUU released. One for rooted and one for unrooted phones. Yes the RUU normally wipes the phones data. Use MyBackUp Pro for backing up data... or Titanium. I like MB Pro better... there's a guide stickied. It literally takes like 20 minutes to restore everything after a wipe... not that big of a deal.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Duh, already bought titanium last night. Will it work too?

How is the pro version better than the free my backup?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Duh, already bought titanium last night. Will it work too?

How is the pro version better than the free my backup?

I like using both apps. Titanium to freeze and delete unwanted stuff and Mybackup for backing up and restoring apps and settings...etc.

Mybackup is a 30 day trial version. Pro is forever.

And yes... You can just use Titanium if you like. MB Pro is a little more user friendly though.

Reactions: recDNA

MUSICLYAUGMENTED

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I have gotten as far as to get the s-off step, but I don't have internet in my apt. I am using pda net to provide myself with internet at this time, where can I download the clockwork mod from?

jsbrainerd

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I can get only as far as obtaining my beta key...when i try to open the revolutionary.exe file it says:

"This application has failed to start because adbwinapi.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

I've re-installed the program multiple times, same result. Any pointers? I am not running WIN7, if that matters, I'm still on XP...

Diabl0

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I can get only as far as obtaining my beta key...when i try to open the revolutionary.exe file it says:

"This application has failed to start because adbwinapi.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

I've re-installed the program multiple times, same result. Any pointers? I am not running WIN7, if that matters, I'm still on XP...

There's a thread over on XDA about this. I'm not sure if any of these work arounds will help you out but...

Missing AdbWinApi.dll - xda-developers

braxtoq

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to load revolution on my replacement Thunderbolt, it came with the latest Froyo and I loaded the latest stock gingerbread RUU. I tried to download revolution on my laptop, but TrenMicro kept stopping it as it thought it was malware. I pulled the serial number from behind my battery and put it in the key generator and tried multiple times to download the file by changing TrendMicro setttings but never succeeded. So, I downloaded revolution on another laptop, put it on a jump drive and unzipped it to my original PC. Revolution gives me a serial number, I use that number in the key generator, but I keep getting an invalid key response. I have uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled, but I keep getting the same error, what am I doing wrong?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze