[GUIDE] How To Root/Unroot The Thunderbolt with Revolutionary

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Renaming what file? My last ota did the whole thing by itself with no input from me. I would have no chance to download then change the filename.

I read that paragraph too but the part saying it would make it tricky to remove scared me. Heck, it all scares me so I want to understand THOROUGHLY b4 jumping in.

There's a file in the phones system directory that Verizon uses to keep track of what version is on the phone when pushing OTAs. If you rename the file it stops the OTA from getting pushed. I'll try to find the thread later on if I have time.

stratejaket

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Found out the hard way that you cannot have HTC sync installed. Guess I should read a little more ;)

Sent from my Bamf'd HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Hey Cyber, maybe you could add in your tutorial to make sure that HTC Sync is removed from your computer before beginning this hack would help a few people in the future out. I had a couple friends run into this same issue before they actually watched the video and heard it mentioned in the video. I might have missed it but I just re read your guide and did not see a mention of that.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Hey Cyber, maybe you could add in your tutorial to make sure that HTC Sync is removed from your computer before beginning this hack would help a few people in the future out. I had a couple friends run into this same issue before they actually watched the video and heard it mentioned in the video. I might have missed it but I just re read your guide and did not see a mention of that.

Will do... sorry, thought I had that in the instructions. Adding it now.

thunder38

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I started to root and got to Step 9. The revolutionary program says "Flashing recovery over fastboot" and has been here for a while. I can't move the volume rocker any to select Bootloader. I think it has been on this for about 10 minutes. Help.

uncdickpark

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey....CW. Thanks for all your help so far.

I'm having some trouble on step 9. I'm getting stuck on the "waiting for fastboot...."
The key was accepted and root was acquired and it says cleaning up and rebooting to fastboot....and then it says something about lemons but then it just gets stuck on "waiting for fastboot..."

I look to my phone and it is still on S-ON and it doesn't say revolutionary at the top like it did for you.

I don't have HTC sync, I downloaded all the drivers, and I'm in charge mode. Am I just one of the few unlucky ones that needs to try doing this over and over again?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

stratejaket

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Just curious did you try to do it again? If s-on still shows you might just have to give it a few attempts. Some reported multiple attempts before bypassing security. Do you have any PG05IMG.zip files stored on your SDcard? That was the reason a few others ran into issues.

Last edited:

stratejaket

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm still learning everyday about all of this.
If I were in your shoes, I'd do a battery pull get the phone restarted fresh, and make sure the drivers are installed correctly. I went through before starting this process and deleted everything HTC from my computer. Then installed the driver and started revolutionary.

Once your fresh watch the youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UK_CiB2SYk

and go step by step with the video. There might be some trivial step your missing that is hindering your progress.

harrishaven

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted my TB and all indicators seem to be correct. (Revolutionary at the top, S-OFF, "Superuser" icon, etc.) However the only step that I noticed varied at all was:
Do you want to download (Internet connection required) and flash ClockworkMod R
covery? [Y/n]

Downloading recovery for your phone (mecha)...Done.
Flashing recovery over fastboot...SUCCESS!
Press (almost) any key to exit.
y

It appears to have started the download recovery before I typed "y"
Did I miss something??
:confused:

Last edited:

uncdickpark

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I have tried everything. I'm not sure what is causing this to stop at the fastboot stage. I tried the battery pull and shutdown and restarted my computer. I've watched the video now several times. I've deleted all things HTC and reloaded the drivers several times now.

Should I try using another SD card?

I'm also using this on a laptop. Could that be the problem?

Please help as this is getting to be extremely frustrating.

Thanks.

stratejaket

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I have tried everything. I'm not sure what is causing this to stop at the fastboot stage. I tried the battery pull and shutdown and restarted my computer. I've watched the video now several times. I've deleted all things HTC and reloaded the drivers several times now.

Should I try using another SD card?

I'm also using this on a laptop. Could that be the problem?

Please help as this is getting to be extremely frustrating.

Thanks.

What operating system are you using on your laptop?

stratejaket

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted my TB and all indicators seem to be correct. (Revolutionary at the top, S-OFF, "Superuser" icon, etc.) However the only step that I noticed varied at all was:
Do you want to download (Internet connection required) and flash ClockworkMod R
covery? [Y/n]

Downloading recovery for your phone (mecha)...Done.
Flashing recovery over fastboot...SUCCESS!
Press (almost) any key to exit.
y

It appears to have started the download recovery before I typed "y"
Did I miss something??
:confused:

Once it completed could you boot into recovery on your phone?

Diabl0

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to root using the Revolutionary program. After I paste in my beta key and it is accepted, it says:

Zerging Root... this might take a minute or so.. Communications with phone unexpectedly interrupted. Try again.

This is the 10th time I've tried to get it to work. I've rebooted to see if that would work, but it made no difference.

The phone is in USB debugging mode, Charge only with the HTC drivers installed on the computer.

Any ideas?

Diabl0

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Do you have HTC Sync installed on the computer?

Nope! I was persistent and rebooted the phone and computer again. After doing this and entering the beta key it zerged for root and said failed to root. I kept doing this and it would switch between failed to root and communications with phone unexpectedly interrupted. When the communications interrupted prompt was given to me, I just unplugged the phone and plugged it back in until it worked.

I have successfully rooted! :)

uncdickpark

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
So....I just tried this on another computer. No hiccups. Took less than 10 minutes. I'm not sure what was up with my computer. I had an old HTC phone and I thought I deleted all the files associated with it but maybe that was the problem. Still not 100% sure. Either way, if you've tried everything and nothing seems to work, I would suggest switching computers and seeing if that works.

Thanks to everyone who came up with this stuff. Very easy guide if your computer behaves. Thanks Stratejacket and CW for all your help.

Now.....on to a backup and then ROMs!!!!!

Stratejacket....any backups you suggest? I know CW mentioned a few but just wanted your thoughts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22