unfinished roms? why?

panitsos

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
i'm fairly new on here but i have a question. why do people release all these roms that aren't complete yet? every time a rom is released they preface it by saying it's not complete yet and this doesnt work yet and that doesnt work yet. so why release something if its not complete? just to be the first one out there to release it?

Reactions: recDNA

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Probably because they are trying to incorporate the latest this or that into a new ROM... might be the latest and greatest Sense version which has gone from Sense 2.0 to 2.1 to 2.5 to 3.0 to 3.5 and soon 4.0... then there are the new base versions of Android 2.3.0 to 2.3.1 and so on... not to mention other things I'm sure I'm not aware of... do you see my point??? Or maybe someone else has a better explanation.

panitsos

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
i'm sure there is always something new, like i said i'm fairly new to all this and all the roms i've installed on my tbolt look the same to me i dont see anything different , most of you delve into the finer things of a rom i guess but for me the layman i dont see much difference from one rom to another

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Your right to the average user there are many roms that look fairly close to each other but then there are some that are very different i.e some have Sense some don't, the different version of Sense. As you play around more you will start to notice differences in most roms.
I'm very glad that the developers release roms before they are working 100% or tweaked 100% because like me many users have become addicted to flashing out new things just for fun and to play around.

Reactions: panitsos

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
i'm sure there is always something new, like i said i'm fairly new to all this and all the roms i've installed on my tbolt look the same to me i dont see anything different , most of you delve into the finer things of a rom i guess but for me the layman i dont see much difference from one rom to another

If they all look the same, you are probably installing the wrong roms ;)

panitsos

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
i think i have pretty much installed every rom that has been offerend on the tbolt adr. all the bamf roms, the cm7 roms? are there any other roms? like i said i'm just a layman when it comes to the technicality of each rom, but in general they all look the same as far as appearance and performance, now if there is some tweeking required to make a certain rom perform better than another then i will have to say i woudnt know where to start, i guess i'm in the minority but i just like to install them and have them do all the work for me i dont like tweeking here and there to make a rom work better or faster, does that make sense? sorry if it doesnt

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
i'm fairly new on here but i have a question. why do people release all these roms that aren't complete yet? every time a rom is released they preface it by saying it's not complete yet and this doesnt work yet and that doesnt work yet. so why release something if its not complete? just to be the first one out there to release it?

I agree with you but yes we are in the minority. We just don't get it.

Personally I don't see the point of a custom rom that has bugs not found in the stock rom. Like you I don't want to bother with constant fix flashes. I'd love to see a fully completed custom rom with fewer bugs than stock.

I'd also like a revolutionary unroot procedure as easy as the root procedure in case there are warranty issues.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I agree with you but yes we are in the minority. We just don't get it.

Personally I don't see the point of a custom rom that has bugs not found in the stock rom. Like you I don't want to bother with constant fix flashes. I'd love to see a fully completed custom rom with fewer bugs than stock.

We give choice. You will not find a stock rom that runs Sense 3.0 for this phone. Or Sense 3.5. Or Doubleshot Sense. Or AOSP.

For all of those above, we bring it to you. However, when things are not designed for your phone, you must improvise.

As for bug free stuff, team BAMF is the only reason anyone rooted (nonrooters are screwed) have working standard voicemail notifications on Gingerbread. And that came from Verizon.

Nothing is ever bug free.

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
We give choice. You will not find a stock rom that runs Sense 3.0 for this phone. Or Sense 3.5. Or Doubleshot Sense. Or AOSP.

For all of those above, we bring it to you. However, when things are not designed for your phone, you must improvise.

As for bug free stuff, team BAMF is the only reason anyone rooted (nonrooters are screwed) have working standard voicemail notifications on Gingerbread. And that came from Verizon.

exactly, VZW will always come out with bug fixes for our phones, they just don't quite do it at the frequency that the independent devs do. BAMF FE has been working great for me and has been relatively bug free for what I use my phone for. coming from a phone with little dev support, the number of roms for the tbolt can be quite dizzying, but it's nice to have options. and they definitely do not all look the same. people see my 3.0 lockscreen and are amazed by it! it's nice to be able to show that off to people without 3.0 ;) thanks to the devs that make it possible!

lithos_BOLD

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site

Personally, for Sense I prefer Chingy's Gingeritis over BAMF. For AOSP can't go wrong with Liquid Thunderbread or BLACKSOURC3 (my daily driver).

For those can't tell the difference between roms, just curious, why did you root? Granted, speed increase and removing bloat is always a plus, but for the most part OEM builds are carrier tested "final releases"...

sent via Tapatalk

panitsos

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
well like i said before adr i'm a novice and for what i use the phone for the roms do look the same on the other hand you who are well verse in these things would know the difference, but they all unlock the same way the layouts are the same etc. and to answere y our question lithos i rooted to get rid of all the junk that came on the phone when i bought it, then i discovered this whole new world of flashing all sorts of roms lol. hey dont get me wrong i appreciate all the work you people put into these roms i'm not trying to bad mouth anyone. thank you for all your hard work

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Personally, for Sense I prefer Chingy's Gingeritis over BAMF. For AOSP can't go wrong with Liquid Thunderbread or BLACKSOURC3 (my daily driver).

For those can't tell the difference between roms, just curious, why did you root? Granted, speed increase and removing bloat is always a plus, but for the most part OEM builds are carrier tested "final releases"...

sent via Tapatalk

Chingy blatantly kangs a lot of his stuff from BAMF (yes I have proof. No I will not litter this forum with it). But if you are preferential to that kind of behavior in a dev, I won't ask you to stop using it.

Last edited:

liquidice

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
well like i said before adr i'm a novice and for what i use the phone for the roms do look the same on the other hand you who are well verse in these things would know the difference, but they all unlock the same way the layouts are the same etc. and to answere y our question lithos i rooted to get rid of all the junk that came on the phone when i bought it, then i discovered this whole new world of flashing all sorts of roms lol. hey dont get me wrong i appreciate all the work you people put into these roms i'm not trying to bad mouth anyone. thank you for all your hard work

I don't think you're paying enough attention to the ROMs you're flashing if you don't notice a difference between the CM7/AOSP lock screen, Sense 2.1, and Sense 3.0 ...

CM7/AOSP:
aosp-lockscreen.jpg

Stock Sense 2.1:
6208776-620-734.jpg

Sense 3.0:
Das-BAMF-2.1-Lockscreen-Android-Gingerbread.png

There are other significant differences between AOSP and Sense - the launcher for one is significantly different.

Like others have said - if you're not comfortable with bleeding edge and re-flashing all the time, you should probably stick to Stock, even if its a Stock rooted ROM.

Personally, BAMF Forever gives me the smoothest, longest battery life experience I have ever had. And it is more stable than stock too.

Considering Verizon allowed the Thunderbolt's first update to suffer from random reboots, I wouldn't necessarily say stock is better or more stable.

lithos_BOLD

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Chingy kangs a lot of his stuff from BAMF (yes I have proof. No I will not litter this forum with it). But if you are preferential to that, I won't tell you to stop using it.

I believe most of the best devs share resources, however many of the them do give credit where credit is due.

For example, Th3ory's BLACKSOURC3 shares resources from the CM7 build, but the attention dedicated to improving current RC is noticeable, and appreciable credit is given to the Cyanogen team.

That's the beauty of the Open Source community, collaboration results in many of the strongest builds available.

sent via Tapatalk

panitsos

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
absolutly i can see the differences between the two, i'm not putting them down i think they are great all i'm saying is i dont know the technical stuff involved in the roms that make each rom different. as a whole they all look the same atleast to me sorry

spartanguy81

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
absolutly i can see the differences between the two, i'm not putting them down i think they are great all i'm saying is i dont know the technical stuff involved in the roms that make each rom different. as a whole they all look the same atleast to me sorry

You said you could see the differences, then said they looked the same?

Underneath it all, it's still Android no matter what ROM you use. The technical stuff isn't important, that's why we have developers like adr to understand that stuff for us.

In a side note, as far as sense roms go, bamf has the hot hand right now. Forever just simply works...throw in IMO's lean kernel and it flies. Omg, have you seen touch my bamf? Forever is just too good to switch, but I see some sense 3.5 in my future...

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Here is my take.

Yes sometimes they do look essentially the same. You unlock, your clock is in the same spot, your notifications are in a pull down. The graphics are different in most cases which can be a plus. maybe instead of a switch to turn on and off the autorotate, the brightness button is there. it isnt so much how it looks for me it is how it acts.

Even though each phone is built the same, they do not always act the same. I know from my Fascinate days that some UV kernels would save a ton of battery life on others phones, but every UV kernel would bring my phone to its knees. I try every custom ROM that comes out and leave it on the phone for at least a week (unless it makes the phone unusable) to see how it runs on my phone. I would not put on a ROM that had essential things broken (dialer, wifi, camera, you get the idea). What is essential to you may vary. Sometimes you find a ROM that works great but doesnt look that great to you, then you theme it.

It is all about variety and what works best for you and your phone. I appreciate all the ROMs that come out and all the developers that do all this crap for free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci