stuck on htc screen, flash mr 2 radio fail

Bushido90

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
ok it looks like i've messed up bad...

i've followed the instructions and have already rooted and backed everything up with rom manager thanks to http://forums.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/77350-guide-how-backup-restore-install-roms-thunderbolt.html

now i've been browsing around and i've realized that i wanted to upgraded to the mr2 radio....in which case i may have failed in doing so

after reading http://forums.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/97307-guide-upgrade-mr2-compatible-read-only-memory-radio-mr1-after-root.html i've got stuck on step 8 because i didn't have a rom to boot....

but it was too late, i've already wiped the data, wiped the cache, and the dalvik....
i've tried to reboot, but i am stuck on the white htc screen

it seems i have sealed my fate.....but if there is any hope, i would like to hear it, otherwise i believe i may have bricked my phone

Bushido90

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
is it possible to fix if i find a rom, download it to my computer, transfer it over to my sd card,
load up recovery, wipe data, cache, and dalvik,

and then install the rom through the recovery method?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Flash the latest Gingerbread RUU. The MR2 radio is old.

Don't worry you're not bricked... at least not for long ;)
Since your stuck on the HTC screen. You're gonna have to do this a little different.
-First... pull the battery.
-Take out the sd card and place it in your computers card reader... hopefully you have one, if not they sell externel card readers at BestBuy.
-Download the file from below and place it on the sd card and rename it to pg05img.
-Put the sd card and battery back in the phone and follow the instructions below from step 4.

New HTC Thunderbolt 2.11.605.5 RUU
1. Download this file: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites! and rename it to PG05IMG.zip.
2. Drop the file onto the root of your SD card, meaning it is not in a folder.
3. Power down your device.
4. Hold Volume Down + Power to boot into the bootloader. (Quick boot from the market also works)
5. Your phone should recognize the file. Follow the on-screen instructions.
6. Once everything finishes, choose the option to reboot. Enjoy!

Reactions: Bushido90

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
After you have restored a stock ROM (GB RUU) and the phone is working... you can then proceed to flash custom ROMs. You don't need to flash any radios if you switch to a custom ROM.. its included in that RUU. It includes the latest MR3 Gingerbread radios.

Reactions: Bushido90

Bushido90

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
After you have restored a stock ROM (GB RUU) and the phone is working... you can then proceed to flash custom ROMs. You don't need to flash any radios if you switch to a custom ROM.. its included in that RUU. It includes the latest MR3 Gingerbread radios.

you sir, are a genius!! thank you so much
i'll try this tonight

Bushido90

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site

spartanguy81

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
No, that ROM does not come with a radio, but if you are running mr2 or later it is compatible and you do not need to change radios. The ROM does come with a kernel and you don't need to worry about that.

ROM and ruu are not the same thing! Mr2 was a hybrid radio, it can do froyo or gingerbread, it's useful if you are gonna switch back and forth, though really there is no reason to. Update to the most recent radio and don't look back.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Just to add... as mentioned.. custom roms do not come with the radios. The reason I said don't worry about the radio is... you need to flash one of the stock ruu's to get your phone working again (which will include the latest radios).

If your phone wasn't messed up and you were just upgrading from a Froyo rom to a Gingerbread rom.. then yes you would only need the radios.. not the full ruu.

Bushido90

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
No, that ROM does not come with a radio, but if you are running mr2 or later it is compatible and you do not need to change radios. The ROM does come with a kernel and you don't need to worry about that.

ROM and ruu are not the same thing! Mr2 was a hybrid radio, it can do froyo or gingerbread, it's useful if you are gonna switch back and forth, though really there is no reason to. Update to the most recent radio and don't look back.

yea thanks for the in depth response, i was having trouble about having to change radios, now i don't have to,

thank you guys once again for helping this noob out :D

Gibby 09

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Will these steps also work for my thunderbolt if I was only trying to install Liquid Sense 3.0?

I too had the Mr2 radio installed and was running CM7, and when I went to install the new ROM, I wiped everything and flashed the .zip in CWM, and once it successfully flashed, and I rebooted, it hung up on the white screen.

I'm currently downloading the RUU that you suggested, just want to make sure it'll fix my white screen problem too.

Edit: I have also realized that my version of CWM (rom manager) wasn't updated. Would this have any effect on loading the new ROM properly?

Last edited:

Bushido90

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Will these steps also work for my thunderbolt if I was only trying to install Liquid Sense 3.0?

I too had the Mr2 radio installed and was running CM7, and when I went to install the new ROM, I wiped everything and flashed the .zip in CWM, and once it successfully flashed, and I rebooted, it hung up on the white screen.

I'm currently downloading the RUU that you suggested, just want to make sure it'll fix my white screen problem too.

Edit: I have also realized that my version of CWM (rom manager) wasn't updated. Would this have any effect on loading the new ROM properly?

well, go back to the solution that cyber warrior gave to fixing the issue on the white screen, it worked for me!!

Gibby 09

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded that RUU, and let it download overnight because it was a big file (440 MB)

I then placed it onto the root of my SD and renamed it PG05IMG.zip and then went into the other steps

Vol Down + Power Button. It went into HBOOT and started to recognize the file and the purple staus bar came up in the top right, but then after a while of that bar loading, it said the file wasn't recognized. I did notice that when I placed the file onto my SD root, it was only 330 MB. Do you think my computer might not have downloaded the entire file?

I'm redownloading the RUU now, but I don't know why it would do that :-\

Any more help would be appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech