Stuck on HTC white screen and clockwork mod - can't get to home

Trayus

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I apologize if this thread is redundant, but I have been researching for hours on how to solve my problem:

I tried to update my ROM to liquidgingerbread 2.6, but while trying to install it, my phone hung up at the HTC white splash screen for almost 20 minutes before I took out the battery. I got it back to the stock settings, but now, after trying to restore my previous settings through clockwork, I am stuck at the clockworkmod screen.

Nothing I do can get me away from this screen - I've tried taking out the SD card and holding the power button and volume down button, but it goes straight to clockwork and won't let me run any commands because I don't have an SD card in. When I run with an SD card, it goes into clockwork, but nothing I do seems to make a difference because I always end up back at the clockwork screen.

I am not very good with ROMS or hacking, although the first time I rooted my thunderbolt, it went very smoothly. When I try to restore my backup, it tells me there was an error with /system, but I can't get to the home screen to change my settings - I am stuck in the boot mode.

If anyone can help me, I would be in their debt forever. I don't know what to do, and it feels like I just lost almost a year of my life because I wanted a different ROM.

opjones

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: Stuck on HTC white screen and clockwork mod - can't get to ho

Do a full wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache in clockwork. Once you get the phone booting up you can try to do restore points you've made.

Trayus

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

I'm guessing I need my SD Card out when I do this? When it's in, it automatically loads PG05IMG and then asks me to reboot; I can't scroll through the options.

Also, after I wipe the data and cache, it hangs up at the HTC splash screen indefinitely

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site

Pull your battery. When you put it back in, hold volume down and turn it on. Do not let go of the volume down until you are in hboot. Try re installing the rom from there...

Trayus

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

When my SD card is out, I can go through Hboot, but when I select factory reset, it sends me to clockwork. I choose the options for wiping data and cache, but it still hangs at the HTC screen when I reboot. I don't know what to do =(

Trayus

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

I removed pg05img, but now its booting straight into clockwork whether I hold the volume down or not. It's also still hanging at the HTC Splash screen after I wipe everything

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site

I hope you have a nandroid backup on your sd card. When you boot up into clockwork will it let you intall the backup?

Trayus

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

It gives me an error when I try to install my backup - I also can't get to Hboot now; the phone boots straight into clockwork and when I reboot it hangs at the HTC screen

I tried to reinstall PG31IMG but clockwork aborts the installation

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site

Sounds to me like you got a bad download and the rom didn't install or won't install properly. Try downloading it again from your computer (maybe from a different mirror) and replace the old one on the sd card. Cross your fingers and hope it loads...

Trayus

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Should I just format the SD card and try to get back to stock? Right now I can't even get to the home screen to use the phone - I'm pretty worried I ruined my phone by trying to use another ROM

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site

You didn't ruin your phone. If it boots to anything, you can save it. Try downloading the rom again, replace it on the sd card, and see if it will boot... Bad downloads happen from time to time when you flash. I flash something at least once a week. Back up often and get familiar with clockwork and you will be fine. ;)

Trayus

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

I downloaded a rom, but how do I install it without being able to access the home screen? I'm so confused....

opjones

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site

Download the new rom, put it on your sd card. Then once you are in clockwork go to "install zip from sd card" and then select your rom you just downloaded.

opjones

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site

Also remove the PG05IMG from the root of your sd card, meaning put it in a folder so if you boot into bootloader it won't automatically try to install that file.

I know you're saying you are new at this, do you know the difference between "clockwork recovery" and your "bootloader"?

edit: sorry it sounds like you do know the difference, just wanted to make sure we're all on the same page.

Last edited:

Trayus

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Yes, the bootloader is the white screen and clockwork is the black and orange menus.

The rom I downloaded was a boot.img, I don't think that is the right file.

I downloaded the PG05IMG file from here: Restore your HTC ThunderBolt to Stock S-ON from Root or Non-Root | I Gotta Droid Blogger, and was able to get back to my Home screen (thank god). Any idea why that worked and what steps I can take to fix it? I really don't want my phone to stay stock, but it seems like I can't install a ROM without getting locked at some step....

Also, thank you all for your help and advice - this is pretty confusing to me and you all have helped me get some peace of mind

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site

In my experience, when it hangs like that it was a bad download and some files got corrupted through no one's fault. Usually downloading it again and following opjones' instructions in post #14 and 15 fixes the problem.

Trayus

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Ok, I will try that when I get home - right now, my phone is unrooted and back at factory settings - it seems so much slower compared to when I had it rooted and I'm hesitant to try and root it again because of this whole fiasco

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site

Keep in mind too that the first boot when you flash a new rom will take a while to load. Especially if you wiped the Dalvik cache, as the phone is working to fill it back up the first time it boots. I don't know what exactly the Dalvik cache does, but I think it stores common files used to boot the phone and run apps that share command files...

opjones

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site

Rom's are always .zip's. It looks like you will need to get your root back before you go any further. Then you can make a backup of your stock rooted phone in case you ever need to go back to that point. Once you have a good back up then you can move forward. As long as you are installing the .zip ROM's thru clockwork you shouldn't have a problem. The problem may have been the boot.img you were trying to install.