Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Any Noticeable Difference Overclocking to 1.4 gHz

Any Noticeable Difference Overclocking to 1.4 ghz along with undervolting?

Could you give an example (if any)?

Thanks
    Last edited by recDNA; 10-27-2011 at 08:43 PM.

ROM
    Xenon HD JellyBean

I would only go 1.2 ghz so its stable and not a battery drain

Sent via Tapatalk via Thunderbolt

Default Re: Any Noticeable Difference Overclocking to 1.4 gHz

My TB transitions smoother and is generally snappier. Battery life doesn't seem to be affected much, meaning it does not appear to suffer from the overclocking. I have had no issues except some force closing when I first open Google search, but this may not be caused by the overclock/undervolt. Currently running BAMF Forever 1.07.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

But would I even notice a difference? If so what?

When I had cm7 I would over clock to 1.4. I did not notice any difference using the phone. It did not seem faster. So I've gone back to 1.0.
    Thanked by:
    recDNA 

ROM
    stock, for now...

Would you notice? Maybe, just depends how close you pay attention. I just went back down to 1ghz to see if I could squeeze out a bit more battery. I'm not doing physics on my phone or anything, so it's not generally noticeable.
    Thanked by 2:
    recDNAtender 
    tender likes this.

I have noticed a difference. Everything seems faster and more fluid. I'm using the IMO 4.14 kernel and used the built-in script to overclock to 1.4Ghz and undervolt. Try it, I don't think you will be disappointed.
    Thanked by:
    recDNA 

Quote Originally Posted by spartanguy81 View Post
    Would you notice? Maybe, just depends how close you pay attention. I just went back down to 1ghz to see if I could squeeze out a bit more battery. I'm not doing physics on my phone or anything, so it's not generally noticeable.
    Yeah, since I didn't notice a difference I went back to 1.0 hoping it would help with battery life.
    Thanked by:
    recDNA 
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Is there a way to save the stock kernel so I can revert if I don't like the imo kernel I try?
    Can I use his lean kernel while stock rooted?
    I'm hoping it helps with my keyboard lag.

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    Is there a way to save the stock kernel so I can revert if I don't like the imo kernel I try?
    Can I use his lean kernel while stock rooted?
    I'm hoping it helps with my keyboard lag.
    +1 on this question. or is there a place to download just the stock kernel, or the BAMF Forever kernel?

-Tm

ROM
    stock, for now...

IMO used to have the stock kernel listed on his threads, but apparently he has removed them. Version 5.0 is based on the stock kernel (the source code having recently been released). Adr also has a new kernel based on the source code. Forever already uses the stock kernel. I'm sure you could find the stock kernel with a bit of looking, but flashing (or re flashing)a forever ROM will give you the stock kernel.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I hope someone posts it.

if no one posts the stock kernel, you could flash the rom again without clearing data (you should probably clear the caches tho) and it will put you back on the stock kernel.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I know that but it requires a wipe. I don't think we'd need to wipe data to flash a new kernel by itself?

you don't need to wipe data, just the caches. you won't lose anything by doing so.

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    ROM
    N/A

Simply enough, just make a nand backup from CWR. That also backs up the current kernel version.
    Former Verizon Wireless Technical Consultant
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I only want the kernel, not the whole rom. It takes forever to restore a nandroid of an entire rom or even to flash a new rom (and sometimes you do have to wipe data to change roms depending onnwhich rom you're coming from and which rom you're going to).

right, but you can flash bamf (since it doesn't wipe on the install) again without losing any of your data. you wouldn't need to wipe since you aren't changing ROMs. it's a whole lot faster than restoring a nandroid backup.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

I understand. I'm still surprised stock kernel isn't out there - especially since htc has released it.

Hmmm...It used to up on imoseyon's page for the GB Sense kernel, but I don't see it anymore.

I recommend making a Nandroid backup regardless, and you can always use that to go back to stock if you don't like a particular kernel.

EDIT: I'm a moron who didn't see the whole second page of this thread...sorry for the repeated info!

To the OP: I generally find that the transitions and such are faster/smoother with the CPU OC'd to 1.2 or 1.4. Most custom kernels will also undervolt a bit, to prevent the faster CPU speeds from causing increased battery drain.
    Thanked by:
    recDNA 
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

I don't know if imo's new lean kernel based on the recently released htc kernel allows use of terminal to set overclocking?

ROM
    Codename 1.1.4 / Imo

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    I don't know if imo's new lean kernel based on the recently released htc kernel allows use of terminal to set overclocking?
    Yes, it works. I just did it last night using Terminal.
    Thanked by:
    recDNA 
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

How do you like it so far?

ROM
    Codename 1.1.4 / Imo

I'm diggin' it so far. It definitely has better performance, things open faster and are smoother. I'm calibrating the battery now so I'm hoping for noticeable results in battery life. I'm running it on extreme (extremely undervolted, overclocked to 1.41Ghz) and using smartassV2 governor. So far I'm at 80% after 5hrs 22mins (1st battery cycle still) normal usage at home using WiFi (bad cell signal at home).
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

I'd liie to try it but I thought I'd wait for the next version. Version 2 of anything is usually better.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast