1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sense 3 Weather Lock Screen

Does anyone know what actually triggers the sense 3 lock screen weather live wallpaper to change from daytime view to night time view? The night view is really nice looking but infind my lock screen often stays on day view all night. If I'm driving the lock screen may switch from day to night and back to day as I pass from town to town. Home at night it almost never turns to night view. Yes, in the scheme of things this is pretty minor but some here do have the skill and knowlege to understand this and maybe even fix it. How about a little help?

Thanks!

Default Re: Sense 3 Weather Lock Screen

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    Does anyone know what actually triggers the sense 3 lock screen weather live wallpaper to change from daytime view to night time view? The night view is really nice looking but infind my lock screen often stays on day view all night. If I'm driving the lock screen may switch from day to night and back to day as I pass from town to town. Home at night it almost never turns to night view. Yes, in the scheme of things this is pretty minor but some here do have the skill and knowlege to understand this and maybe even fix it. How about a little help?

Thanks!
    Settings > Accounts & sync > Weather > it all depends on how you have it setup... Update when open, checked... Update schedule, how often... the weather app should change for day or night when the scheduled for local sunrise or sunset.

Put a big full screen Weather widget on one of your page... it shows the last time the weather was refreshed at the bottom... along with a refresh.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes, it is set to sync automatically at 1 hr intervals. If weather conditions change (like tonight from clouds to showers) change is immediately reflected in the lock screen however it remains daylight while live weather wallpaper or full screen weather app show night time. It's not that it can't show night because sometimes it does. Seems random. The key is to understand what triggers the switch from day view to night view. Updating weather app (also set to update when opened) doesn't do it.

And thanks for at least discussing it. I've posted this problem in several places and been ignored or laughed at.

I've also tried deleting data from every app with the word weather in it. Lockscreen app has no data to delete.
    Last edited by recDNA; 11-23-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    Yes, it is set to sync automatically at 1 hr intervals. If weather conditions change (like tonight from clouds to showers) change is immediately reflected in the lock screen however it remains daylight while live weather wallpaper or full screen weather app show night time. It's not that it can't show night because sometimes it does. Seems random. The key is to understand what triggers the switch from day view to night view. Updating weather app (also set to update when opened) doesn't do it.

And thanks for at least discussing it. I've posted this problem in several places and been ignored or laughed at.

I've also tried deleting data from every app with the word weather in it. Lockscreen app has no data to delete.
    Then it sounds like a problem with the source of where HTC Sense weather get's it's data... because mine is working just fine in my location. It's not a problem with the app or your device.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Just odd that weather data is received but not daylight vs night. I wonder if that decision is native rather than downloaded.

Since homescreen weather wallpaper shows night and full app shows night I find it unlikely that needed info isn't also being transmitted to lockscreen weather

I also updated the weather database (got it in bamf forums mods) Added 42,225 American cities. My town was added to the database but it had no effect on lockscreen issue discussed in op
    Last edited by recDNA; 11-23-2011 at 08:40 PM.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

It finally changed to night view. The only clue may be the image on the clock/weather widget changed from just a cloud to a moon and cloud. Could it be that there must be an image of the moon on the widget for the lockscreen wallpaper to change to night view?

Boy, it has no problem switching back to day view the second the sun come out! LOL
    Last edited by recDNA; 11-24-2011 at 08:02 AM.

ROM
    Stock/BAMF Forever1.10

I don't have that issue but I use the free Beweather app from GetJar. have it mounted as a widget 1x4 in my second lock screen. Just a small box at the top of the page touch on the cloud side and the other screen comes up. I don't know if you an pull a full page screen like the stock app but one touch brings up the full screen with animation. Sorry the animation didn't come through on the screen shot but you get the idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sense 3 Weather Lock Screen-screenshot-1322151335477.png   Sense 3 Weather Lock Screen-screenshot-1322151363715.png  
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

It looks nice. Takes up less space too. My lock screen issue isn't critical.....I would just like to better understand what controls the background of the lockscreen weather animation. I find it so odd that day to night transition is borked but all other weather info updates instantly. Equally odd is the transition of night to day is fast but I didn't get a night time background until 10 pm

Happy Turkey Day!

have u tried darkhorse theme from the bamf site he redid the weather for the lockscreen pretty cool..but he doesnt have it ready for 1.10 yet..im still on 1.09...just wonder since he worked on that for the theme if it would make a difference for ya
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I'd love to try that theme. It does say final though so I'm not sure if he is going to update again.

ROM
    Stock/BAMF Forever1.10

Try the Beweather app. You'll forget about the stock weather app.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

You're missing the point. My issue is with the lockscreen version of weather app. As far as I know sense 3 wont give beweather as a lockscreen live wallpaper choice will it?

ROM
    Stock/BAMF Forever1.10

From what I've seen you can't use it as a lock screen. But it has 6 different sizes of icons and with just a touch it goes full screen. That gives more room for other widgets. Dump the lock screen. I swear you'll never look back. Forever 10 gave me a FC on Acuweather and I was like SO? Try it out it's free and once you see the difference you'll say what lock screen.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Even if I installed beweather I would still want weather on my lockscreen so I'd use the htc for that. Using one doesn't preclude using the other but I honestly don't see what you think is so much better about beweather. I use htc weather for the live wallpaper on my home screen as well as my lockscreen. I never actually open the widget. All I want is the pretty animation and the temperature.

Thanks for the suggestion though. If they ever offer it with live wallpaper in it I'd give it a try.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by rcmarks314 View Post
    From what I've seen you can't use it as a lock screen. But it has 6 different sizes of icons and with just a touch it goes full screen. That gives more room for other widgets. Dump the lock screen. I swear you'll never look back. Forever 10 gave me a FC on Acuweather and I was like SO? Try it out it's free and once you see the difference you'll say what lock screen.
    Took your advice on beweather for home screen. It's pretty cool!

ROM
    Stock/BAMF Forever1.10

Thought you'd like it. BTW I have Zeus 1.3 set up in slot 2 and Liquid 3.2 set up in slot 3. Still setting up Zeus and will start setting up Liquid in the next couple of days. I skipped slot 1 because it kinda messed up when trying to set it up the first time(didn't have screen set to stay on). I wanna do screen shots of Forever 10 and set up all the ROMs screens the same way. Then I'll have a better idea of what I like best.
    Last edited by rcmarks314; 11-27-2011 at 08:45 AM.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Bona fortuna! Can't wait to read your reviews.

From what I've read it sounds like all you have to do is delete all the files in slot 1.

What I still don't quite get is if you're stuck in a bootloop in the phone slot can you or can you not nandroid back to before you even installed boot manager?
    Last edited by recDNA; 11-27-2011 at 10:10 AM.

ROM
    Stock/BAMF Forever1.10

Yes you can to the phone ROM. You can not do nandroids through recovery for sdcard slots it will not work but within the app you can do the equivilent of an nandroid. HTH
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

I don't think I'm making myself clear or I am failing to understand. If I install this app and the phone rom itself is the one that becomes messed up can I nandroid back to a rom backed up months before (from recovery not boot manager) boot manager was installed? In other words if boot manager messes up my phone so badly I just want OUT by selecting in ancient nandroid can I go back to "normal" from before boot manager so boot manager is no longer installed and "slots" are simply gone?

I'm basically trying to see if there is a way out if this app doesn't get along with my phone or if I mess it up myself. In other words how do I return phone to state BEFORE bm was installed?

ROM
    Stock/BAMF Forever1.10

Yes you can. All of your nandroids are there and you can pick any one at any time. ie If you have Cubed as a backup and you decide to use Forever as your phone ROM. You load the four slots and decide you don't like the whole thing. You can just restore to cubed or even your stock rooted ROM. Boot Manager does not change anything on your SD card or your phone. You don't really even load a phone ROM via BM you just assign it as your phone ROM. I have Forever assigned as my phone ROM. If I decide to change to SkyRaider for my phone ROM I just load it via recovery as I would with any other ROM and reassign it as my phone ROM. BM only loads the slots not the phone ROMs. If you decide to dump BM just boot into your phone ROM pull the SD card and erase BM from the card. Hope I've made it more clear.
    I think the coolest part is that your can load say the new MIUI ROM and if you don't care for it just dump it and you haven't lost your Phone Rom. Not to mention you don't have to setup all your stuff. I really like the forever ROMs I can use the slots to try out other ROMs and still have my phone ROM to fall back on. If I find something I like better I can load it as my phone ROM and the reinstall my apps and widgets to my liking then search for another ROM. Or I can setup all the slots the way I like them and just go between them at will.
    Last edited by rcmarks314; 11-29-2011 at 08:12 AM.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Still not quite clear. I don't want to nandroid an old rom into a slot in bm. I want to nandroid an old rom before bm was installed to REMOVE bm as an app. Then once in that rom I don't want the option to make it a phone rom aor a slot 1 rom. I want all that bm stuff totally gone. Is that possible or is your only choice once bm is there is to nandroid a rom into an existing slot?

What I'm getting to is if bm is a disaster can I just make bm, its slots, and any other part of it totally ad irretrievably gone?

Back to the OP...

The background appears to depend as much on weather condition as it does time of day. I notice that when skies are clear at night and the moon icon is showing, the background is very dark, but some weather conditions at night instead force the lighter background. Not sure why, but I've played around with them quite a bit, and there is definitely a dependence on the condition as well as time.

There are actually 3 backgrounds. A light one for day, a middle one, and then a dark one. Usually when it's overcast, for example, the "middle" one will be displayed instead of the darkest one. Not sure why.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

I've actually had the sun and clear blue sky at 10 pm