1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    InfectedROM 3.5

Default Need to Clean up my sdcard

I guess one of the downsides to constantly flashing new ROMS, kernels, trying new apps, etc. is that I have a ton of file folders on my sdcard.

I would preferably like to clean it up.

Can i delete file folders that say they are empty? (ie they are taking up 0k of space?)

Also, I have made a TON of nandroid backups, where can i find them so i can delete the old ones?
    Additionally, I have backed up my data/apps/photos with MyBackupPro, is there anyway to delete the old backups since i backed them up to my sd?

Thanks for all your help guys!

Global Posts
    2,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB

Default Re: Need to Clean up my sdcard

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee613 View Post
    I guess one of the downsides to constantly flashing new ROMS, kernels, trying new apps, etc. is that I have a ton of file folders on my sdcard.

I would preferably like to clean it up.

Can i delete file folders that say they are empty? (ie they are taking up 0k of space?)

Also, I have made a TON of nandroid backups, where can i find them so i can delete the old ones?
    Additionally, I have backed up my data/apps/photos with MyBackupPro, is there anyway to delete the old backups since i backed them up to my sd?

Backups can be deleted easy with Rom manager (manager your backups). same goes for mybackup pro you can delete them from the app. and if the folders are empty yes you can delete them
    I'm the ROOT man
    G Talk: Upstreammiami3o5
    Let me help you ROOT your phone
    Thanked by:

ROM
    The ROM of the day...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee613 View Post
    Yes, but what you might want to do for a bit is just rename them to whatever ROM you are using (CM7, BAMF, etc). That way, you can always go back to whatever one you want.

Are you using CLOCKWORKMOD?. If you are, they are in the "ClockWorkMod" directory under the BACKUP Folder.

Look in the "rerware" folder and you will find them there. But, the easiest way is go into MyBackup and go to MANAGE and follow the screen. Are you wanting to delete only the older ones or all of them since you have a NANDROID backup?. I would reccommend keeping the latest "MyBackup" and NANDROID backup.
    With this RAZR, I get a close shave
    My Blog
    Thanked by:

Deleting old Nandroids will recover a lot of space, and (in my opinion) there's really no need to keep them once they're more than a few weeks old*. They are named by date by default, so it should be easy to figure out which ones can be cleared.

*Given how old the data would be and the number of apps that would require updates, I always feel that it's actually faster (and more reliable) to just make a current backup and install a ROM from scratch if you really want to go back to one you used a while ago. (Plus, if you've updated CWR, chances are your old nandroids won't work anyway). I put a 2 week limit on my nandroids -- if I see my latest one is getting old, I'll make a new one and clear the old ones out, just to make sure I have a recent checkpoint...even if I'm not making any changes.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    InfectedROM 3.5

Thanks guys!
    Ya im using TeamWin, and using a computer I wasnt able to find where the backups were, but i went in using root explorer and I was able to find them and delete a TON of the old ones.

Thanks for your hellp!!! I have so much more space now on my SD

If I moved my apps (games and things) to my SD card and then later flashed to a new ROM ... are the apps still stored on my SD card? How do I clean them up if they are?

Global Posts
    2,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by krazibones View Post
    If I moved my apps (games and things) to my SD card and then later flashed to a new ROM ... are the apps still stored on my SD card? How do I clean them up if they are?
    by uninstalling
    I'm the ROOT man

so when I flashed from BAMF 1.09 to 1.10 the apps started to automatically install. However I had moved apps to the SD card prior to the flash. When all the apps were reinstalled from flashing they showed up on my phones storage. I guess what I am wondering is, are the apps that I moved still saved somewhere on the SD card?

ROM
    The ROM of the day...LOL

so when I flashed from BAMF 1.09 to 1.10 the apps started to automatically install. However I had moved apps to the SD card prior to the flash. When all the apps were reinstalled from flashing they showed up on my phones storage. I guess what I am wondering is, are the apps that I moved still saved somewhere on the SD card?
    They should still be. Look for the name of the app as a folder. I don't move my apps to the SD card, so, this is only a guess.
    With this RAZR, I get a close shave
    My Blog

Global Posts
    2,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB

they should be flashing roms dont wipe anything of your sdcard
    I'm the ROOT man
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Upstreammiami View Post
    they should be flashing roms dont wipe anything of your sdcard
    does anyone know where? I searched the SD card and dont see anything at all.

Is there any benefit to moving apps to the SDcard? does it help make the phone run faster?

Quote Originally Posted by defcon999 View Post
    They should still be. Look for the name of the app as a folder. I don't move my apps to the SD card, so, this is only a guess.
    does anyone know where? I searched the SD card and dont see anything at all.

Is there any benefit to moving apps to the SDcard? does it help make the phone run faster?
    If anything, moving apps the SD card make the apps run slower. The ability to move apps to the SD card was quite necessary in the days of the OG Droid and older phones that didn't have very much internal storage for apps. In my opinion, there's really no reason to do it at all on the Thunderbolt, given the ~2.4 GB of internal storage you have to use for apps. If anything, it just creates more confusion (as noted in the quotes above).

When you move apps to the SD card, that doesn't necessarily "protect" them from deletion and the need to re-install when you load new ROMs either, since even those apps that have been placed on the SD card have information stored internally.

If you have apps that had previously been off-loaded to the SD card on previous ROMs, but are no longer being used, you *should* be able to find directories for them and delete them (it's been a while since I have, can't fully remember where to look), but even if not, most apps don't take up that much space anyway.
    Thanked by: