Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dragonsamus
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gingerbread DeBloated

Default Cause of Android Exclamation Triangle?

Anyway to tell what is causing my phone to reboot and then go to a black screen with the android and exclamation triangle? I try to restore but it doesn't help. Any direction would be terrific. Thanks.

Default Re: Cause of Android Exclamation Triangle?

Quote Originally Posted by johndabeast View Post
    Anyway to tell what is causing my phone to reboot and then go to a black screen with the android and exclamation triangle? I try to restore but it doesn't help. Any direction would be terrific. Thanks.
    First, your current ROM... what are you running??? Most people's profile are not accurate.

If it was me... I'd either flash your ROM again... or load a different ROM. Make a nadroid backup before you do continue, but if your current setup is that bad you might not want to go back to that.
    Current: Moto X (2014) Pure Edition, ASUS ZenWatch, Pebble Steel, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): HTC One (M8), Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)

Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gingerbread DeBloated

Yes, its still the gingerbread debloated by Adrylnelyn (SP?) it is the version that ends with .3

Quote Originally Posted by johndabeast View Post
    Yes, its still the gingerbread debloated by Adrylnelyn (SP?) it is the version that ends with .3
    I'm not familiar with that, but I thought the last official GB ROM was 2.11.605.5.
    Current: Moto X (2014) Pure Edition, ASUS ZenWatch, Pebble Steel, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): HTC One (M8), Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)

Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"

ROM
    The ROM of the day...LOL

That has happened to me a couple of times. I panicked at first, then I just pulled the battery, SIM card, let it sit for a bit and then put them back and then boot into RECOVERY and did a WIPE DATA and CACHE and reinstalled my ROM. I always do a Nandroid backup after every ROM install....you just never know.

I would make sure that the Checksum numbers match...if they don't, then you probably got a back download. Redownload and try again.
    With this RAZR, I get a close shave
    My Blog

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rom / Non-Rooted

I'm also getting the Android with a triangle. I've been running Revolutionary Root for over 2 months without any issue, then noticed the Android guy with the triangle. I did a battery pull, the OS starts loading normally and gets almost completely loaded, the says Powering off Device. Phone resets, then shows a black screen with the Android guy and a package with an arrow coming out of it. The status bar gets maybe 25% done when the screen changes to the Android guy and the exclamation.

Any thoughts?

I'm still running stock GB from Verizon, no ROMs.

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rom / Non-Rooted

So I followed what defcon999 said above, Cleared data, cache and perform a Nandroid restore. Good thing I had one of these. Although the backup is a month old, got almost everything back. Lost my fill-ups at the pump for mpg calculator app and txts...but didn't really care about the txts.

But I'd still like to know what caused the OS to hiccup? Anyone with ideas?

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rom / Non-Rooted

Well it appears Verizon rolled out a silent update for the Thunderbolt. When my phone reset to update, it corrupted the Android OS since I'm rooted. I restored using my Nandroid backup and almost everything is back to normal. I still can't send email in Gmail. It just sits there in my inbox saying "sending". I'll keep looking for any answers.

Quote Originally Posted by scott750 View Post
    So I followed what defcon999 said above, Cleared data, cache and perform a Nandroid restore. Good thing I had one of these. Although the backup is a month old, got almost everything back. Lost my fill-ups at the pump for mpg calculator app and txts...but didn't really care about the txts.

But I'd still like to know what caused the OS to hiccup? Anyone with ideas?
    Its VZW pusing the OTA 2.11.605.9 uipdate to your phone, its rebooting and trying to install, but since you don't have a STOCK recovery loaded on your phone you get that.

Booting into clockwork and clearing the cache is enough to get rid of the update file and solve the problem.. BUT when the update gets pushed to your phone again, since your not on the latest version, you'll run into it again.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by scott750 View Post
    Well it appears Verizon rolled out a silent update for the Thunderbolt. When my phone reset to update, it corrupted the Android OS since I'm rooted. I restored using my Nandroid backup and almost everything is back to normal. I still can't send email in Gmail. It just sits there in my inbox saying "sending". I'll keep looking for any answers.
    For gmail, try clearing data and redoing it. That'll usually fix the issue.

If you're rooted with a stock rom, use an app like Root Explorer and go to the folder Etc, then the folder Security and then make sure its in read/write mode (r/w vs read only which is r/o) and rename Otacerts.zip to Otacerts.bak. This will prevent the update. I'm rooted with stock rom 2.11.605.5 and I've seen the phone try to download the update twice but it'll cancel because it can't verify the security certificate or whatever its doing.
    Thanked by:
    scott750 likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gingerbread DeBloated

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
    Its VZW pusing the OTA 2.11.605.9 uipdate to your phone, its rebooting and trying to install, but since you don't have a STOCK recovery loaded on your phone you get that.

Booting into clockwork and clearing the cache is enough to get rid of the update file and solve the problem.. BUT when the update gets pushed to your phone again, since your not on the latest version, you'll run into it again.
    This was probably what the issue was, I fixed it by flashing a whole different ROM

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsamus View Post
    For gmail, try clearing data and redoing it. That'll usually fix the issue.

If you're rooted with a stock rom, use an app like Root Explorer and go to the folder Etc, then the folder Security and then make sure its in read/write mode (r/w vs read only which is r/o) and rename Otacerts.zip to Otacerts.bak. This will prevent the update. I'm rooted with stock rom 2.11.605.5 and I've seen the phone try to download the update twice but it'll cancel because it can't verify the security certificate or whatever its doing.
    This is useful to know if I ever go back to stock. Thanks